Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 25-05-2015, 12:40 PM   #1
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

My Aged, Non Special, Astra

Not quite the project you'd normally find on here, but it's something that I hope to clean up rather well smile emoticon

I'll make it nice and short and just add pictures. This is now my 4th though as I'm quite keen on them, but this colour I like the most due to it being pearlescent smile emoticon

So my old Astra went from this, to this;

10461943_1401860723467504_2480842985240126268_n by Ben Williams, on Flickr

DA14D050-9D39-4287-AF07-94354D84D876_zpszrztkfci by Ben Williams, on Flickr

Now most would go and buy something better, but I didn't. The new shell...

Untitled by Benjamin-Williams, on Flickr

Now I'm not rushing this at all. To start with, I wanted it on the road asap but now I've slowed right down, building bits up and doing it as I go. Next year, I plan on going down the Saab Turbo route so want to get it just how I want it first.

Now, this shell is in far better condition than mine. Mine was very heavily scratched, rust on both rear arches, scratched bumpers but a perfect shell. The shell didn't come with an engine - well, it did in the boot, but due to having no history with the shell and knowing my engine and gearbox are perfect, I set about swapping mine in.

Updated wont make 100% sense, as I'm copying them from elsewhere

My Goal...

656849-620-0-opel-astra-f-cc-53-54-58-59-04-1998-von-mischen by Benjamin-Williams, on Flickr

More to follow....

Last edited by Ben108; 25-05-2015 at 12:43 PM.
Ben108 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben108 For This Useful Post:
Cookies (14-07-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #2
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

27/3

Me and other half spent a bit of time on this today.

Other half;
- Swapped mirrors over for me,
- Did the sunvisor clips
- Swapped the aerial

Whilst she cracked on with that, I swapped the rear lights over, put my SMD number plate bulb in, mk4 side repeaters and cleaned part of the engine bay and worked out what bits I need to remove from mine to keep my aircon.

I also went to Vauxhall today to get some Oil & Filter to service the Mk4. Whilst I was there, I ordered 2 new number plate light lenses and a pack of 25 rubber headlight screw mounts.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

28/3

Didn't really take many pictures today, however, between us we managed...

- Swap the full lockset as the drivers door lock had been smashed. Also allows me to keep my flip key with the immobiliser chip...
- Greased the front window mechs
- Swapped the spoilers over
- Put new number plate lense on
- Removed dash/driver kick panel from the old one
- Started removing the engine loom from the old one

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

29/3

Not done anything today as the weathers s***e, and little mans not too well. Did go via the garage to drop some things off though so took a few photos

New Aerial Fitted;

Lockset Swapped;

An old one which is looking very poorly now...

------------------------------------------------------------------

8/4

A big box turned up;

Which contained a smaller box;

Which had some smaller boxes....

Which contained!

Last edited by Ben108; 25-05-2015 at 12:46 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben108 For This Useful Post:
ceejay (12-10-2015), Cookies (14-07-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #3
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

9/4

Nothing special but...

Aircon switches now changed to LED's...

Mini loom with removable plug for the switch powering my amp. I like the amp on a switch as it's easy to kill off when our little boy is sleeping etc as its right behind his seat haha!

I can now solder that back to the loom on the car, and have the switch easily removed or unplugged just to keep things tidy.

--------------------------------------------------------------

10/4

Nothing drastic, but switch for my amp is now mounted Cleaned up the scratches since as well so looks all fresh.

Also have a week and a bit off at the end of the month, so plan on having the engine in and fitted by then, and rolling on it's proper wheels.

Then I can get it home and cleaned up properly.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

11/4

Got a bit done today. Ended up soaking all the exhaust related bolts on the old one ready for stripping tomorrow as well as removing more pipes etc then moved onto this.

Ended up fitting the new aircon/recirc buttons, re-wrapping the wiring for hazard/tid/stereo, putting my stereo mic in, running the remote wire for my amp, re-fitting my centre console back in with the new gaiters and k*** from the previous one, installed my vectra interior light, replaed the tid with my carbon one and swapped the middle console whilst it was out to my one with the r/c/l led.

Centre Console by Benjamin-Williams, on Flickr

Dash 1 by Benjamin-Williams, on Flickr

Oh and no pictures, but slam panel now has x6 new rubber washer for the headlight bolts also

Tomorrow is stripping more of the old one, and sorting the garage out as it's a massive mess and I'm missing tools

-----------------------------------------------------------------

12/4

Bit more done today, managed to clean half the engine bay, but to be honest, will need the pressure washer as it just isn't coming up as well as I'd liked...

Before;

After;

Subframe;

Am still half tempted to take it off and paint,

Also, stripped the old one of it's full exhaust. Need to order some new exhaust studs and nuts, rubbers and gaskets but other than pipe work, the engines nearly ready to come out now bar mounts!

Lastly, fan housing removed and then garage cleaned up a bit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

13/4

Well the long nights are really starting to help out now. Although I had the day off work, it does now give me a few hours in the evening!!

Nothing too special but loom and ecu are now all back in place. Ran the remote wire and rcas also so kick panel is now all back in place! Also started cleaning the drivers door shut as all the dried rusty water looked awful

Then started putting the little trim bits back on. This part wont need to be touched again now so should all be ok!

The started checking over all the pipes etc to see if I needed to swap any from my old one and sure enough...

So going to need to remove the fuel line from the old one to replace that also! Other than that, removed a few spares of the old one, and also put the power steering tank bracket on so thats secure again also

Random Photo....

Last edited by Ben108; 25-05-2015 at 12:52 PM.
Old 25-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #4
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

19/4

Also finished my central locking / remote locking wires tonight.

Stripped all the un-needed wires out of the remote locking side and wrapped them up! Earths now have a tidy ring connector ready to connect and indicator wires have been tidied and a bit of wire to each end which matches the relevant wires on the hazard switch. Am buying my gas soldering iron this week so will be able to get on with this

-------------------------------------------------------

21/4

Couple of bits ordered this morning..

Manifold Gasket
x5 Exhaust Rubbers
Exhaust Nuts & Studs
Ball Joints for my Bonnet Struts. Not important but as the bonnets coming off anyway, it makes sense to put them on when it goes back on!

And a new phone case as it felt left out!

----------------------------------------------------------

25/4

All my parts have arrived...

H1 Bulbs
H7 Bulbs
x2 Cans of Paint

Exhaust Manifold Gasket
Downpipe Gasket
x5 Exhaust Rubbers
Manifold Studs
Manifold Nuts
Other Misc Exhaust Bolts

I'm going to Brighton today for InCarNation, however, tomorrow I'm gonna try get a few little bits done weather permitting....

-----------------------------------------------

28/4

At this point, I was due to hire a crane but got messed about royally, so ended up borrowing some money off dad to buy one. Made life far easier and also now have it when I get round to doing the clutch on the yellow astra.

Mean while.... the garage was becoming bit of an unorganised mess, and I currently know the whereabouts of all my tools so it had to stay that way!

Before;

After;

So much better. Whilst doing this, I also found the missing mic holder for my stereo Decided to fit that along with my new aerial cable and power cable

All curled up ready to finish!

Mic Fitted

Oh and fitted these

-----------------------------------------------------------

29/4

Spent some time at the garage today. Mostly sitting back on the phone, but inbetween calls...

Removed the replacement fuel line, disconnected the air con pipes, made a note of all the vacuum pipes, removed both tanks for cleaning, removed the drive shafts, wrapped and moved the drivers side headlight wiring as I only need the indicator plug and whilst at it, uncovered the mess which is the aircon wiring. That should keep me entertained!

This is the aircon mess! I noticed the broken wire, matched the colours and saw it came from the plug. Spent about 20 minutes removing all the crappy sticky stuff and uncovered this.... wtf?

------------------------------------------------------

30/4

Parcels arrived whilst I was out. Courier was only a small old bloke and not strong enough to lift them in the house, so got a call from my sister saying he'd had to leave them outside. Was on my way home anyway.

Got the crane all together myself. Some what awkward to do, but managed it. So tomorrow it can finally happen.

Whilst I was out though I bought some more small boxes, and some labels and then sorted the mess out.

Plan tomorrow is to get the engine out, clean up and put the aircon pipes into the new shell, sort the aircon wiring out, then start fitting the engine back in. I may even give the block a quick clean also.

Last edited by Ben108; 25-05-2015 at 12:57 PM.
Old 25-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #5
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

1/5

Engines In

Started at around half 10, engine was out at 12:30. I still had the linkage to disconnect, all the engine mounts to remove and actually found the removal quite easy!

Once the engine was out, I stripped the bay of it's aircon pipes and swapped them into the new one, and by half 3 had the lump in the new bay. Rear engine mount was an absolute pig, took me an hour just to do that one! But it's now all held in place properly, most the wiring loom connected and most the pipework done also

Out

It's filthy. I really would have liked to power wash it before it went in, but no power at the garage so will have to wait for now.

Going in...

And how it was left.

Still a bit to do.... finish wiring, finish pipework, run replacement fuel line, exhaust and a general tidy up

----------------------------------------------

3/5

Spent a bit more time at the garage today. Even worked through the thunderstorm - Dedication huh?

Passenger drive shaft is now back in. Managed to split the wishbone gaiter at the same time so now need to replace them also. To be fair, they are looking a bit tired!!

Also got a bit more pipework done on the engine, plugged a few more bits in and swapped the passenger suspension leg as the wheel bearing was on it's way out!! Another part from my old one :tape: :heh:

Picture though....

Before;

After

Just needs a good wash now, but once it's home, I'm going to VAX the whole interior

-------------------------------------------------
10/5

Well it's already to run now, however, that needs to wait until I get paid as when the engine came out, I drained all the fluids and I'm short on spending money until the 23rd.

But...

Exhaust is now on. New rubbers, gaskets, studs & nuts, engines all connected now, pipe work is all secure, replacement fuel line fitted and connected just need to add the fuel filter when I get it.

Untitled by Ben Williams, on Flickr

And all back together

Other than that, cables are all ran to the boot, new aerial cable is in, dash is all together, trims all finished, just need pay day now so I can order;

- 5L Genuine Coolant
- 5L 10w40 Genuine Oil
- Gearbox Oil
- Power Steering Fluid
- x4 new Spark Plugs
- Oil Filter
- Fuel Filter
- Pollan Filter

---------------------------------------------

10/5

Nothing on mine today, however did drag the pineapple out for a clean and cleaned the garage up of all my old parts.

---------------------------------------

17/5

Little update, nothing major, but the cars had no attention recently as im just too busy right now.

Decided to clean all the door shuts today, did the boot also. Nothing major but only had a little while spare. Got my stereo all in and connected too. Need to order a new surround though as I'd forgotten mine was broken :doh:

Before;

After;

Loads loads better, although I have accidently deleted some of the pictures :doh:

Anyway. I'm collecting the arranged replacement panels on Saturday, and will also be taking a trip to Vauxhall to pick up the needed fluids to get it running. Fluids wont be going in yet though as I've decided the engine is coming out again and having a big clean, and this time whilst it's out - having all new belts and a new thermostat also. I'm just not happy with it as it is and as long as it's done before the winter, I'm in no rush.
sprocketser (26-01-2017)
Old 25-05-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

So that brings me to now. I recently found someone on facebook breaking an Astra, in exactly the same colour, but with panels in much better condition.

Chatting with him lead to me arranging to collect the following parts over two months to help pay for them. I'm getting...

- Front Bumper
- Both Front Wings
- Both Front Doors (with electric windows!)
- Rear Passenger Door
- Tailgate

Saturday just gone, 23rd, I went up to Milton Keynes in dads Mk4 and with his help got the wings and bumper. They're now in my garage waiting to be fitted and some better pictures which I'll take will show why I'm doing this. Also, mine doesn't have electric windows so this is a great way of upgrading at the same time
sprocketser (26-01-2017)
Old 25-05-2015, 01:07 PM   #7
AlbaLife
Sponge Jockey

excellent you have breathed life into this vehicle. looking forward to the coming chapters.
AlbaLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #8
20vKarlos
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,342 Times in 1,021 Posts
Garage
Great stuff! Look forward to future updates
20vKarlos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #9
Ben108
PC Perfectionist

Thanks

Like I said, it's nothing special like half the stuff on here, but I do aim to clean it up and really bring it back. It's in one of the best colours and looks amazing when all cleaned up - but with the stuff I'm bound to learn on here, I reckon it'll look even better.

Although we've had a long weekend, I had to promise the other half I wouldn't touch the car. It's her Birthday today so anymore progress will have to wait until next.

For now though, a picture of the parts I picked up on the 23rd....

IMAG0007 by Ben Williams, on Flickr

Got the carpet fitted straight away, due to not wanting it getting damaged in the garage. Have since stuck the edges down for a nice perfect fit also.

IMAG0010 by Ben Williams, on Flickr
SBM (14-06-2015)
Old 25-05-2015, 01:22 PM   #10
Juke_Fan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Nice one - interesting thread. Always admire peeps who can do this stuff, I wouldn't know where to start!
Juke_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote