Detailing World Forum banner

Finishing Pads

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  camerashy 
#1 ·
Please excuse this newbie question.
If you use say a CG blue finishing pad with a paint cleaner would you be removing some of the clear coat??
If the answer is no, then is it safe to use any finishing pad with a cleanser, glaze or wax
I'm not looking to remove swirls just enhance the finish.
Appreciate any help
Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Almost all paintwork cleaners have some degree of abrasive content, so yes, you will most likely be removing some paint. Barring leaving behind oil and fillers, the ultra-fine abrasives in these products are actually what enhances the finish by refining the microscopic scratch pattern on the surface and altering how it reflects/refracts light. This is desirable, and worth the - often negligible - amount of paint that is removed in the process. However, if you wish to preserve your clearcoat, I would pick a product with the finest abrasives you can find, and pair it with a very mild finishing pad (Possibly like a CG's red, LC Gold, or similar.).

Hopefully this helps...

- Steampunk

#6 ·
Scholl S40 is actually my go-to polish when I just want to pick up the gloss, and is very, very fine, so yes it would be a good choice. I typically use it with something like a Lake Country Crimson Hydro-Tech, or a Scholl Concepts NEO Honey Spider pad (Awesome), but I have tried it before with the Red B&S/CG's pads and this is a decent pairing.

Hopefully this helps... If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. :thumb:

- Steampunk

#7 · (Edited)
My suggestion is to find a super-soft piece of black plastic, like a car a-pillar, or a laptop or phone case, and give this product a try on it... You can learn a lot of interesting things about 'non-abrasive' products when you do.

- Steampunk

P.S. I too like Blackfire GEP, and agree that it is a nice paintwork cleaner, but tend to use it more on harder finishes these days.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.