Detailing World Forum banner

DA on scrap body panels

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  CleanYourCar 
#1 ·
Just been able to get a scrap door panel in red and 2 wing panels in metallic light blue from my local bodyshop free of charge which I am really pleased about to practice on with my DA,as I have never used one before and want to practice on something before I have a proper training day.
I have Mermzerna FG500; PF 2500; FF3000 and SF4000 together with Sonus SFX 1;2 and 3 pads and a LC CCS black pad.
I was going to try the black pad with SF4000 first then go to black with FF3000 then probably SFX 3 pad with FF3000.
Trying the lightest pad with the lightest product and then working up from there with different combinations.
Would this be a reasonable work plan or could you recommend another way please.
Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Nope that is exactly the way tho do it
Start light then work up.
Its not difficult but can feel un natural to begin with.
Just relax and take your time and glide the da round. If your tense and nervous then you will find the results are nowhere near.
To start with use a very oily wax and get the feel of it. You wont do anything other than shine it up but you will learn to relax and how the machine handles. When you are happy and your confidence grows a bit them step it up..
Until such time as you purposly inflict damage on the panel to play at removing it.
The main aim though is to relax and try and enjoy it it will take you time but you will get there quite quickly. I reckon you will be stepping it up after an hour or so IF THAT.
Also read davekg's guide on the da use and follow it.

#3 ·
Thanks Allen I have read davekg's post a few times now which was very informative.
Interesting point you make about relaxing, never though of that and to learn how the machine handles in my hands.
The door panel is pretty good no dents etc so again thanks for telling me to initially just polish it and play with it, then once that level has been reached start to inflict swirls and scratches to remove that damage.
Great info. Many thanks
Dave

#4 ·
You have to relax. If you are tense then you start to bump the pressure in rather than letting the machine do the work for you. Its like waxing or glazing in straight lines over circular motion.. Circular motion you end up using a lot more pressure with it thus not doing what you want to do but rather the opposite.

#6 · (Edited)
Recommended speeds are as follows:
• Waxing & Buffing – 1 to 2
• Polishing & Cleaning – 3 to 4
• Removing Paint Defects – 5 to 6.
Rpm on a da dosent rally count as it oscilates not just rotates so your looking at ORBITS per minute NOT revs per minute.
The above is ONLY a starting point not gospel some cars may cut on 3 some may wax on 5
Its whatever works to achieve the desired results
Basicly as you say dave yes. Remember to keep the work area small and even though it may LOOK like the ammount of product will do a bigger area resist the urge to do so.

#7 ·
Recommended speeds are as follows:
• Waxing & Buffing - 1 to 2
• Polishing & Cleaning - 3 to 4
• Removing Paint Defects - 5 to 6.
Rpm on a da dosent rally count as it oscilates not just rotates so your looking at ORBITS per minute NOT revs per minute.
The above is ONLY a starting point not gospel some cars may cut on 3 some may wax on 5
Its whatever works to achieve the desired results
Basicly as you say dave yes. Remember to keep the work area small and even though it may LOOK like the ammount of product will do a bigger area resist the urge to do so.
Thanks Allen, bloody hell!! me and Senior Moments, I now recall that you mentioned those speeds to me in a previous post and I meant to make a note of them.....which I have now done
Apologies for the double post

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.