Detailing World Forum banner

Microfibre Pads & Foam Pads

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Dougnorwich 
#1 ·
Forgive if this questions seems daft, is there much cutting difference between the two pads? And does the technique remain the same?

The reason I ask, I currently own a 2007 Renault Scenic and as far as I can tell only has your general swirl marks found on a car this age. On this occasion I want to try a MF pad.

Browsing the internet the general consensus is that the paint hardness is intermediate. I appreciate each car needs to be approached differently and may need to pads/polish combo to others.

My present polishes are Menzerna PF2200/SF4000 and Scholl S30+

I was thinking of ordering a Optimum polishing MF pad, allowing me to step up the cut with the heavier polish should it need it.

Any help or advise will be much appreciated.

#4 ·
If I have this correct, will be a 2 step process using the MF for the cutting and the foam for the finish.

As I need to buy the mf pads, should I purchase both cutting and polishing or just use the polishing pad?

Can you recommend any particular brand? Is there any difference say between the Optimum, CG, or Megs?

#3 ·
Orbital Polisher - pads for dual action polishers are thinner and made with a special cross-linked polyethylene core for maximum cutting and polishing ability, but flexible enough to adapt to curves and contours.

[The reason it works better on the DA is because of the motion of a DA and the surface area of a microfiber pad. Each microfiber has the ability to carry compound on all sides (which is why priming the pad is so important). This vastly increases the surface area available to come in contact with the paint surface when using it with a DA polisher] - Kevin Brown

Rotary polisher - pads are made with a special reticulated foam core designed to disperse heat that occurs with rotary polishing. This thick foam core also provides excellent flexibility for contoured surfaces.
Increased pressure and a slow linear speed on initial 2-3 passes (4800 OPM) will increase defect removal. Light pressure on subsequent passes (3800 OPM) will clear finish and optimize gloss

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.