Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 23-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #1111
Fentum
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,543 Times in 883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
Did a bit more to the Rallye today. Since finding what i found previously, its becoming more obvious the dash needs to come out. But for now, it was about removing the passenger seat and carpets.

First job was to get it off the jig again as i need to be in and out of the car frequently. Not doing that with it on the jig so for now, its back on axle stands again and with it back in terra firma, out came the seat and i got busy on removing the carpet. Centre console comes out first and the first thing i find is a broken mount.

Not the end of the world but maybe something else to replace. With that out, i undid the dash mounts at the base of each A pillar and removed door seals. Little surface rust underneath but nothing to worry about.

Then removed the front carpet. First thing i noticed is that its been cut in half and it's in two pieces rather than one. Not a huge issue as you cant tell once everything is in and it's perhaps easier to remove. The foam backing to the front carpet sections was very wet though, so they are in the back garden drying out. Interesting there is a polystyrene section under the drivers side carpet which goes under the footrest to the left of the clutch pedal.
Then the lump in the floor from being jacked in the wrong place..

The bigger surprise was the passenger side floor. The sound deadening was already cracked and lifted but taking out the body plug, which had been sealed in, revealed it hadn't sealed very well at all…..

The bigger surprise was yet to come…..i pulled up the bottom of the bulkhead sound deadening to find…….

A 13mm ring spanner thats clearly been there for some time! And then, on removing the rear carpet….

A T10 torx bit! I know this car has been apart before but leaving tools in it? Well, ill take them.

So, with all the carpets removed, there was plenty of mess to clean up.

I took the opportunity to have a look at the seat pretensioner wiring for the driver's seat. This is the one i had to cut off from the seat and, i suspect, the cause of the airbag light on the dash. Interestingly, the drivers side wiring has an odd date code, 18/10/1999, which leads me to think this has already been replaced once as its different to the date on the other side, and, manufactured after the car was built.

Still, it will be replaced again and see where we go. Theres also plenry of evidence of it being poorly put back together at some point. Hacked fittings, and thats assuming they actually bother to do the nuts/bolts/screws up etc...

There isn't a huge amount else i can do right now until i find this other stiffener panel, which still hasn't appeared anywhere. I may well investigate and see if this panel is common across the 306 range (im hoping so and cant see why not?) and may try and find a shell with one still intact. No point having any of the welding work done until i know what's happening with that.
Ben,

How frustrating, but typical of what happens when you are thorough. You'll thank yourself in the end.

FWIW, I'm going through my Alfa Spider slowly preparatory to a gearbox rebuild and carpet replacement this summer (the thing is a one piece moulded affair I had to import from Canada of all places) and the wiring bodge ups I'm uncovering are awful. Italian wiring ain't great at the best of times...

Sadly, I haven't hit the Snap-On bonanza yet but the amount of crap and bodge is a sight to behold. Thankfully, no rust in evidence anywhere.

But you're doing a great job and I'm really enjoying your thread.

P
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (23-06-2018)
Old 23-06-2018, 10:08 PM   #1112
carlmu77
Sponge Jockey

I’ve been reading this post over the last few nights and I have to WOW! Amazing work. Even though your finding bodge repairs along the way, your dedication and work will make this better than factory. Your an inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
carlmu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carlmu77 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (23-06-2018)
Old 23-06-2018, 10:11 PM   #1113
Ben_W

Thanked 1,736 Times in 1,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J306TD View Post
Great work as always Ben

The carpet on these does come in 2 sections front and rear so don't panic that it's been cut in the past even if the refit was a bodge.

Wonder if the pretensionor loom was replaced under warranty?

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Cheers fella. Its actually the front section thats been cut in half, so ive actually got 3 bits!!

I suspect it may have had a new loom section but doubt under warranty. Generally, airbag lights werent much of an issue on the Rallye/6. I can see in the MOT history for 2013/2014 it was a bit of an issue. Indeed, it even came on as i drove it home from collecting the car.

Checked tonight, the new lead has a date tag of 2001 so who knows

Last edited by Ben_W; 24-06-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Ben_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #1114
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Ben,

How frustrating, but typical of what happens when you are thorough. You'll thank yourself in the end.

FWIW, I'm going through my Alfa Spider slowly preparatory to a gearbox rebuild and carpet replacement this summer (the thing is a one piece moulded affair I had to import from Canada of all places) and the wiring bodge ups I'm uncovering are awful. Italian wiring ain't great at the best of times...

Sadly, I haven't hit the Snap-On bonanza yet but the amount of crap and bodge is a sight to behold. Thankfully, no rust in evidence anywhere.

But you're doing a great job and I'm really enjoying your thread.

P
Peter, thank you. Those words mean a lot coming from you!

Yes, the thoroughness will pay off in the end. I guess it really is the only way to approach his and get the end result you want.

I may have another source of spares. A guy i know (who actually put me onto this very car whenni was looking) has bought a red rallye thats suffered a cambelt tensioner failure and will break it. Dependin on what happens, i may yet be anle to get some parts from that.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Fentum (23-06-2018), JR1982 (23-06-2018)
Old 23-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #1115
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlmu77 View Post
I’ve been reading this post over the last few nights and I have to WOW! Amazing work. Even though your finding bodge repairs along the way, your dedication and work will make this better than factory. Your an inspiration

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks! Im glad you are enjoying it.

Last edited by Ben_W; 23-06-2018 at 10:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:31 AM   #1116
Ben_W

A small update from Saturday.

Picked up a pair of Rallye door cards locally from a guy I know (mechanical repairs on here) for a bargain £30. They were grubby and needed a clean but that's what we here are good at.....!

G101, lots of water, a scrubbing brush and....

Came up really, really well. Happy with them. They are in very good condition. Dried very very quickly in the sun too.

So with nothing else to do until 3pm, I decided to make a start on the front carpet sections. Same drill, lots of water, G101, scrubbing brush and elbow grease. The front carpets had plenty of staining, mostly from rusty brown coloured coolant from the previous heater matrix blow. Once I'd finished scrubbing, I got the pressure washer out and got busy. The amount of crap that came out was unbelievable, especially rusty coloured old coolant.

Well get some better 'after' pics later and ill doo the rear section today too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (08-07-2018), Fentum (08-07-2018), JR1982 (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:40 AM   #1117
Fentum

Thanked 1,543 Times in 883 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben_W View Post
A small update from Saturday.

Picked up a pair of Rallye door cards locally from a guy I know (mechanical repairs on here) for a bargain £30. They were grubby and needed a clean but that's what we here are good at.....!

G101, lots of water, a scrubbing brush and....

Came up really, really well. Happy with them. They are in very good condition. Dried very very quickly in the sun too.

So with nothing else to do until 3pm, I decided to make a start on the front carpet sections. Same drill, lots of water, G101, scrubbing brush and elbow grease. The front carpets had plenty of staining, mostly from rusty brown coloured coolant from the previous heater matrix blow. Once I'd finished scrubbing, I got the pressure washer out and got busy. The amount of crap that came out was unbelievable, especially rusty coloured old coolant.

Well get some better 'after' pics later and ill doo the rear section today too.
Good job, Ben! They look worthy of your resto.

It's amazing what a bit of hard work and some handy chemicals can achieve.

Peter
Fentum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fentum For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 08:50 AM   #1118
Andy1972
PC Perfectionist

I had a gti6 that I used to compete in. The gti was rare enough but the rallye was impossible to find. As a competion car, really underrated especially in the road car classes

https://ibb.co/jwLK48
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy1972 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 10:18 AM   #1119
Ben_W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fentum View Post
Good job, Ben! They look worthy of your resto.

It's amazing what a bit of hard work and some handy chemicals can achieve.

Peter
Thanks Peter. Still undecided on the front carpet. Should be one whole section, not two parts....and the front edge has been cut as you really need to remove the dash to get the carpet out.

You can't tell on either cut when everything is back in place but, I know......so.......will see where that one ends.

Nipping out this morning to pick up a ph3 tailgate, a mint front bumper and a spare Red Rallye wing some guy I had the brand new wing from.wants rid off.....all FOC!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ben_W For This Useful Post:
Cookies (08-07-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 06:08 PM   #1120
Andy1972
PC Perfectionist

On the 106 rallye the carpets are a lot thinner than the standard. Almost like flocked cardboard lol. The rallye was a homoglamation version of the ranges so had a lot of stuff stripped back. I assume the 306 is the same?
Andy1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andy1972 For This Useful Post:
Ben_W (08-07-2018)