Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2009, 09:47 PM   #21
caledonia
Distinguished Detailer
 
caledonia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Defined Details. Airdrie Scotland. Detailing Studio in Glasgow.
Posts: 7,317
Thanks: 2,452
Thanked 3,358 Times in 1,811 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to caledonia
Colly or 1000p can be used to remove tar deposits while maintain protection. Providing they are gentle applied and work slowly.
Doing away with the tar remover and reapplying a LSP.
Don't tell me you don't own some of these.
Gordon
caledonia is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to caledonia For This Useful Post:
WHIZZER (06-07-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 11:45 PM   #22
Katana
PC Perfectionist
 
Katana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 389
Thanks: 8
Thanked 70 Times in 48 Posts
This is from my own experience.

Wash
- Any car shampoo works here
- A B&Q grout sponge or cheap MF mitt from poundstrecher
- A couple of £1 B&Q buckets or similiar ones from any store
- Spending £10 on a drying towel isn't budget is it, but i can't think of a cheaper alternative that won't inflict marring

Clay
- Megs kit for semi-cheap
- Clean Your Car have a good double clay pack for around £10, make your own lube
- Make your own lube from the shampoo and use blu-tak for clay

Protect
- Any carnuba paste wax from a supermarket would do wouldn't it so long as you apply regularly
- Best bang for buck is Colly 476s applied with the misted red side of a german app pad, a little goes a long way.
- AG EGP, put it in a spray bottle which makes using the right amount much easier so it's easy to remove as well, apply with the red side of the german app pad
- groundnut oil or ag bumper care for black plastics applied with any old sponge or rag
- AG bumper care works pretty well on tires as well i've found, still got plenty in my 325ml bottle after 20+ applications, buffs to nice factory finish or shiny if you leave on.

Polish
- By hand it's got to be 325/500ml of AG SRP using the white side of that german app pad, done this myself with excellent results, albeit sore arms
- By machine, £25 silverline r/o with a menz polish/finishing pad using the SRP again, or megs #80/83 if you want to spend more, tested this recently with excellent results as well.

Interior
- Not exactly budget but Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing, smells nice, easy to apply for factory finish or shiny, a little goes a long way if you use it with a spray head.
- Any other good non-silicone stuff?

Other
- Spray bottles, MF work cloths, and APC all cheap and easy to find in pound shops and supermarkets
- Wheel brushes are pretty cheap, wilko do one for £2
- If you don't want to spend for a megs slide lock brush pick up a pack of paint brushes for a £1 in poundstrecher and wrap in the metal bit with duct tape to prevent scratching.

Don't know if this was any help, just thought i'd try and pitch in.
Katana is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Katana For This Useful Post:
banksy (11-02-2010), Cullers (09-10-2009), Daniel C (06-11-2010), earley (01-12-2014), HornetSting (16-06-2010), Langballen (22-04-2015), martinmsport (12-06-2012), paulr (03-04-2010), renno (11-03-2012), rippedkiwi (05-05-2011), rus00 (04-06-2012), Shonky (05-10-2013), tangledmonkey (05-05-2012), tarbyonline (07-05-2011), WHIZZER (06-07-2009)
Old 05-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #23
isherdholi
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
isherdholi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,519
Thanks: 155
Thanked 100 Times in 96 Posts
B&Q were doing 5 litres of Simoniz shampoo for £1. Not sure how available that is now. I picked one up last week.
isherdholi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to isherdholi For This Useful Post:
WHIZZER (06-07-2009)
Old 06-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #24
cloudnine
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 111
Thanks: 45
Thanked 64 Times in 43 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
- Make your own lube from the shampoo and use blu-tak for clay
You can use blu-tak as clay??
cloudnine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:24 AM   #25
Puntoboy
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
Puntoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Kettering, Northamptonshire
Posts: 3,994
Thanks: 1,081
Thanked 1,159 Times in 823 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to Puntoboy
Chemical Guys New Look Trim Gel. Excellent for exterior plastic trim, tyres and interior trim. You only need a small amount too so it's lasts forever.
Puntoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Puntoboy For This Useful Post:
VixMix (20-09-2015), WHIZZER (06-07-2009)
Old 06-07-2009, 12:32 AM   #26
beurling
Sponge Jockey
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 51
Thanks: 5
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana View Post
This is from my own experience.

Wash
- Any car shampoo works here
- A B&Q grout sponge or cheap MF mitt from poundstrecher
- A couple of £1 B&Q buckets or similiar ones from any store
- Spending £10 on a drying towel isn't budget is it, but i can't think of a cheaper alternative that won't inflict marring

Clay
- Megs kit for semi-cheap
- Clean Your Car have a good double clay pack for around £10, make your own lube
- Make your own lube from the shampoo and use blu-tak for clay

Protect
- Any carnuba paste wax from a supermarket would do wouldn't it so long as you apply regularly
- Best bang for buck is Colly 476s applied with the misted red side of a german app pad, a little goes a long way.
- AG EGP, put it in a spray bottle which makes using the right amount much easier so it's easy to remove as well, apply with the red side of the german app pad
- groundnut oil or ag bumper care for black plastics applied with any old sponge or rag
- AG bumper care works pretty well on tires as well i've found, still got plenty in my 325ml bottle after 20+ applications, buffs to nice factory finish or shiny if you leave on.

Polish
- By hand it's got to be 325/500ml of AG SRP using the white side of that german app pad, done this myself with excellent results, albeit sore arms
- By machine, £25 silverline r/o with a menz polish/finishing pad using the SRP again, or megs #80/83 if you want to spend more, tested this recently with excellent results as well.

Interior
- Not exactly budget but Poorboy's Natural Look Dressing, smells nice, easy to apply for factory finish or shiny, a little goes a long way if you use it with a spray head.
- Any other good non-silicone stuff?

Other
- Spray bottles, MF work cloths, and APC all cheap and easy to find in pound shops and supermarkets
- Wheel brushes are pretty cheap, wilko do one for £2
- If you don't want to spend for a megs slide lock brush pick up a pack of paint brushes for a £1 in poundstrecher and wrap in the metal bit with duct tape to prevent scratching.

Don't know if this was any help, just thought i'd try and pitch in.
i think with ppl not being able to afford a huge amount these are some great tips...

which silverline ro have you got for £25 ?? or am i just bein dumb?
beurling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #27
SXI
Washmitt Meister
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Stirling, Scotland
Posts: 266
Thanks: 21
Thanked 32 Times in 32 Posts
Send a message via MSN to SXI
I use bath towels to dry my car.

£1 from Poundland...
SXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 12:43 AM   #28
dholdi
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
dholdi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Preston
Posts: 1,658
Thanks: 246
Thanked 650 Times in 522 Posts
I picked up a bottle of Astonish wheel cleaner from B&M Bargains for 99p just to try it. It worked surprisingly well so got another 3 the week after.
dholdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2009, 01:51 AM   #29
scj172
Unwashed Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 14
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Great thread! exactly what we need in this current climate.
scj172 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scj172 For This Useful Post:
Hardsworth (23-06-2013)
Old 06-07-2009, 08:21 AM   #30
306chris
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)
 
306chris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Cheshire
Posts: 2,831
Thanks: 433
Thanked 313 Times in 232 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to 306chris
Quote:
Originally Posted by dholdi View Post
I picked up a bottle of Astonish wheel cleaner from B&M Bargains for 99p just to try it. It worked surprisingly well so got another 3 the week after.
I've found those astonish products to be excellent value for money. I really like the bug and tar remover. Shifts bugs really well only downside is that it strips wax. It's only £1 as well.

Their household stuff is great as well and puts many of the big brand names to shame.
306chris is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 306chris For This Useful Post:
mikey2704 (22-09-2011), tarbyonline (07-05-2011)
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors