Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 14-08-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
FinstP
Sponge Jockey

Wax and Sealant thicknesses

Continued from a previous thread on thickness of wax layers. Note, I don't make any claims about effectiveness, I am only measuring the thickness!

Thanks to Caledonia, I have a large selection of waxes and also sealants to test, so I have started a new thread. Here are a few results from the last three days.

Testing as before, applying coatings to clean 6" silicon wafers.
20 random spots were measured to give some statistical significance to the results.
Below I quote the average thickness and the standard deviation (sd). The standard deviation gives an indication of the spread in the results.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................
***** Vintage (4 coats applied at 24 hours intervals)

Wax applied with microfibre, hazed and lightly buffed with clean microfibre cloth.
Thickness after first application = 25.6 nm; sd = 2.5 nm
Thickness after second application = 26.3 nm; sd = 3.2 nm
Thickness after third application = 24.9 nm; sd = 1.9 nm
Fourth layer applied by hand.
Thickness after fourth application = 27.4 nm; sd = 1.7 nm

Because of the spread in the results, as given by the standard deviation, you can't read anything into the small differences in thickness.
This seems to show, once again, that you can't layer wax.
.................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................

Opti-seal

This gave me some problems at first, not having used the product before, because of the difficulty in applying a thin enough initial layer to the relatively small 6" wafer (compared to a car panel).
First attempts were definitely too thick, giving strong interference fringes on the smooth silicon wafer that changed rather dramatically as the product dried (very slowly).
The end results were very patchy. After advice from Caledonia, I then cut down the amount of product to no more than one drop, applied with a 1" square of microfibre cloth.
This easily spread over the whole surface of the wafer and dried to a haze-free finish in a few minutes. Again, 20 random spots were measured.
Coats applied at 24 hours intervals

Thickness after first application = 17.3 nm; sd = 1.2 nm
Thickness after second application = 16.6 nm; sd = 1.1 nm

Again, no evidence of layering being possible.

An even smaller amount applied to a different wafer:-

Thickness after first application = 21.9 nm; sd = 2.3 nm

Z8

This was applied lightly with a 1" square of microfibre cloth but it did not spread evenly over the wafer surface.
Whereas the Opti-seal obviously wetted the surface, this almost seemed to be like trying to rub water into the surface.
I wasn't too surprised by the results below (as yet, only one layer applied).

Thickness after first application = 4.9 nm; sd = 1.4 nm

Red Mist

This product was much more like Opti-seal, wetting the surface and spreading easily. Not easy to wipe off, so maybe too much applied.

Thickness after first application = 22.1 nm; sd = 0.7 nm (a very uniform film!)

FinstP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to FinstP For This Useful Post:
aBBel P155 SW (16-08-2009), agpatel (16-08-2009), badly_dubbed (14-08-2009), blurb (16-08-2009), Boris Vassilief (16-08-2009), caledonia (14-08-2009), chobis (22-09-2009), Dave KG (14-08-2009), Dodo Factory (15-08-2009), DuncanMon (15-08-2009), gally (15-01-2012), Gruffs (30-11-2009), HeavenlyDetail (30-08-2009), irf@n (15-08-2009), jamrowls (15-08-2009), jeroens (30-11-2009), Leonneke (30-08-2009), Lowiepete (18-08-2009), Miguelgomes (26-01-2010), Racer (19-02-2010), Rob Tomlin (29-11-2009), ross-1888 (02-09-2009), Shredder (27-02-2010), Sonic (17-09-2009), stuart1164 (16-08-2009), tfonseca (02-09-2009), turbulenceNL (19-08-2009)
Old 14-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
badly_dubbed
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to badly_dubbed
been talking about Gordons trip with him all week!

more so on the reflective index, and that wax has a dulling effect and that its impossible to have depth and shine in paint

Davey
badly_dubbed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2009, 11:58 PM   #3
Dave KG
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 9,297 Times in 3,105 Posts
Brilliant, really brilliant! Science in action on Detailing World. Great to see such a test being carried out, and interesting results regarding layering, especially of a wax.

Looking forward to reading more of the findings
Dave KG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave KG For This Useful Post:
needhampr (30-08-2009)
Old 15-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #4
caledonia
DW Supporter

Location: Defined Details. Airdrie Scotland. Detailing Studio in Glasgow.
Thanked 3,295 Times in 1,798 Posts
Send a message via Skype™ to caledonia
Thanks for taking time to meet myself and a very interesting tour of your labs.

I came away with a very good understanding of the technology and research you carry out on a daily basis.
During the conversation that follow also gave me a get insight to finding and as you rightly said this has now been proven once again. With regards to layering products.

I am also glad the the conversation that I have had with Dave has not gone to waste, and has given us a better insight as to what an LSP does to certain paint finishes. With regard to there initial reflective rating compared the the LSP rating.

Once again thanks F.

Gordon.
caledonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Epoch
Distinguished Detailer

I'm rather liking this project

so developmental elements may be

if Red Mist leaves a layer 75% thicker than Z8 yet in my testing i've found them both to give a good six weeks of visable protection, is the product left behind harder wearing in Z8 or could th thickmness be down to the fully cure of the redmist leaving more solid intact etc

Thanks again for your time
Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
badly_dubbed
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Send a message via MSN to badly_dubbed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epoch View Post
I'm rather liking this project

so developmental elements may be

if Red Mist leaves a layer 75% thicker than Z8 yet in my testing i've found them both to give a good six weeks of visable protection, is the product left behind harder wearing in Z8 or could th thickmness be down to the fully cure of the redmist leaving more solid intact etc

Thanks again for your time
i may be wrong here,

but i think the layer thickness of Z8 in this test is only because it wouldnt spread right on the sillicone
badly_dubbed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 02:40 AM   #7
DimGR
PC Perfectionist

Garage
the way i understad this post , is that 2 coats are enough. Anything more and you start removing previously applied wax therefore you loose not gaining anything

correct?
DimGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
Beeste
DW Long service and reasonable conduct award

Garage
Great test. And my arms say thankyou , thankyou thankyou
Beeste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #9
Goodfella36
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,986 Times in 1,086 Posts
from reading all these tests only benefit of 2 coats would be to make sure you havent missed anywhere thank you for your time and tests very interesting
Goodfella36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2009, 09:42 PM   #10
Leonneke
Unwashed Member

Sealant like Z - Two

Hello there Fin:

I would like to know if you are layering the Zaino Z 2 in one of your tests.
Especially because I have read several topics about the Z 2.

Some people claim to layer 7 times - 20 times and even 50 and 51 times.
I think a sealant is something completly different then a wax. I think it can be layered. But it would be great if you layered them in your tests.

Z - two and FK 1000 P for instance. Well, thanks so far. Usefull threads.

Holland - Your votes please: 10 - 10 - 10 - 10 - 10
Leonneke is offline   Reply With Quote