Detailing World Forum banner

Race Valeting - DW's worst RR Sport.............

12K views 36 replies 29 participants last post by  Christian6984 
G
#1 ·
I had booked in for a 2-3 day minor correction on a 2 yr old black Range Rover Sport, the car has covered 80k in the 2 yrs but bodywork and wheels were pretty mint with only 1 wheel suffering slight kurb damage and 1 small parking dent.

On inspection the car was rather dirty so hard to see the true extent of the work needed.

Before:

Firstly the wheels were cleaned using AS Smart wheels and a selection of brushes, the was some servere brake dust build up on the faces which had to be clayed off using AB purple clay, there was also lots of old wheel weights which were removed using tardis.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j313/200bhprst/IMG_0397800x600
.jpg

The aches had a thorough scrub using g101 at 6:1 and a vikan brush, the engine was also sprayed with g101 and agitated using a selection of brushes before rinsing, all the shuts were then cleaned using the sam methods.

Then onto the citrus pre-wash to the lowers to help loosen some of the dirt followed by a good dose of snow foam which was left to dwell for 10 mins before rinsing.

This was followed by a 2bm wash using a z sponge and dodo sour power, and then taken into the unit for clay.

before:

after the passenger side wing/drivers door

The car was then dried and inspected using the halogens.

You get the picture the car has been washed weekly using the poles:wall:

I taped up the car ready for polishing and then took some paint readings all nice and heathly which was good as some needed a fair few hits to remove some of the deeper marks.

The paintwork was prooving a real challenge due to being really sticky and with so many deep defects, I stated with menz ip/ff mix on a megs polsihing no joy, then megs 83/80 drying out too quick even tried a blob of dodo lp to extend the work time but not cutting it.

Ended up using megs 85/80 on a megs polishing pad followed by 3m yellow top and then finally refined using ulrafina se on a elite car care red finishing pad.

Some 50/50 shots

Before:

After:

Before:

Afters:

Before:

afters:

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

before:

after:

sorry about the ugly mug but a super clear bonnet reflection shot:

Once all the correction work was done the car was refined using the g220 and a red elite car acre pad and 3m ultrafina, the car was then given a IPA wipedown to remove all the oils from the polish ready for the sealant.

This I applied 2 layers of jetseal 109 via the da left to bond for 20 mins before being buffed, then left for an hour before applying the 2nd layer mean while I polished the alloys using ag srp and then sealed using zaino cs.

All the shuts were then polishing using zaino AIO, then glass cleaned and sealed again using zaino cs, the engine was dressed using 303 aerospace protectant and the metal work with zaino AIO.

Now time for the 2nd layer of jetseal again applied via da and again left for 20 mins to bond while I raised the suspension and dressed the arches using 303 aerospace and the tyres with AS smart shine 2 coats.

The car was then given a coat of cg 50/50 and left to cure before buffing, the plastics were dressed using cg new look trim gel along with the window rubbers.

Next up was the interior, nice cream with walnut well grubby cream leather anyway.

Befores:

And this is how grubby they were

afters:

before:

after:

50/50's

The interior was cleaned using g101 and then dressed using 303 aerospace, the leather cleaned using a Autoglym magic sponge and then conditioned using einzett leather care.

All the carpets hoovers and the matts cleaned and then the Lidl W5 fabric guard was applied (first matt has 3 coats applied and left to dry for 2 hrs, then 2'nd matt in the video has only 2 light coats, definate thumbs up from me:thumb: for £2.49 500ml can apposed to the £8-10 for scotchguard)

Now time for some after pics

Before

after:

Total time was 31 hrs but well worth it I must admit, not my favourite paintwork to work on but now have my hands on another carbon black e39 M5 so sticky-hard paint:rolleyes:

The owners face was a picture when they collected the car:D makes all the work well worth it.

Thanks for looking all C & C welcome​

See less See more
#14 ·
^^ Nar, RR paint is easy to work, soft, couple of hits and your good to go, its just about finding the right polish, G-Tec P1 may help you if you struggle with sticky paint, it dose for me ;)

On another note im not sure if yours or robbies one was worse, i think you two need to have a buffer battle, who ever can scortch through to flesh first is the winner ;)

G
#16 ·
From the pics Robbie's was mainly swirls and lots and lots of light one's dulling the finish so bad, but this one was covered in RDS underneath the swirls as pictured in the photo's.

Every RR you see now is like this, people are so lazy and don't clean them and chuck them through the car wash or to the poles:wall:

Paul

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.