Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 18-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #1
JNR77
Unwashed Member

Supaguard

Hi, am new to the forum.

I have just bought a BMW Z4 with 12,000 miles on the clock. The original owner had supaguard applied when it was new, can anyone tell me how to get rid of this stuff; would a simple claybar do the trick?

Its a horibble film that attracts dirt and doesnt allow water to beed it seems to make water stick to the paint work.

any help much appriciated
JNR77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
stewartmak7
PC Perfectionist

Garage
i think the best way to get rid of it is a tfr followed by tar and glue remover , then clay bar then polish or paint cleaner. its basically a paint sealant so think this should strip anything off .
stewartmak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #3
Jonboy8
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Hi. Do you have a snow foam lance? If so a strong mix of snow foam and APC and left to dwell for 4/5 mins and PW off. Then do it again.
If not, then give it a clean with washing up liquid to help strip the sealent. Rinse off and then clay. Dry and then if you have some, IPA wipe down or use a good paint cleanser. Your then ready for the next step, depending on if you are using a machine (DA or ROTARY) or by hand. Polish, Glaze & LSP.
You have not said what colour the BM is and once Supaguard is removed will you be paint correcting or just filling most swirls in. Just my 2p worth.
Jonboy8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
RedUntilDead

Suprised if the "protection" of supaguard remains if it hasnt been maintained.
Fairy liquid will probably remove it as Im guessing you wont have clay, cleaners, ipa, snow foam ect. Stay on here long enough though and I will put money on you having this stuff and more pretty soon
Good tip - dont believe the hype

A pro detailer I watched in action once used johnsons baby bath (blue bottle) to wash the vehicles. PH nuetral and very slippery suds, very paintwork safe and can work out cheaper than using other car shampoos
RedUntilDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
Beau Technique
DW Supporter

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,519 Posts
I thought johnsosn babay bumph had some for of sodium content in it
If thats the case its hardly safe on the paint.
Might not strip wax but will cetainlt add superficial scratches which will get worse and worse.

Back to the supagard.
Im sure it will be all gone but if not, foam if you can with apc, wash with a stronger mix of shampoo and if neccesary using something like autosmart tardis to wipe down and potentially remove any last remains.
Its not as much of a pita as its made out to be tbh.
Old 18-08-2010, 11:21 PM   #6
888-Dave
'Sponge Dave Square Pants'

Totally agree with scott, the chances of there being any remains of the supagard left is very remote. Years ago I did a few stints in dealers that sold the stuff for a fortune and so many people used to come back complaining that it doesn't seem to be working anymore (even after a couple of months) so for a car thats done 12k, its very likely that the non beading your talking about is the lack of protection on the car.
So as stated, a very good wash, foam, apc, clay... blank canvas, then polish and wax to your hearts content
888-Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 09:01 AM   #7
Alex_225
Built-Not-Bought

Thanked 1,345 Times in 973 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedUntilDead View Post
Suprised if the "protection" of supaguard remains if it hasnt been maintained.
My thoughts exactly, probably gone by now anyway. Especially if it's been stuck through a car wash or similar.

Either way, a clay and hand polish would do the job.

I actually applied this to my Megane when I first bought it. Protection probably lasted 6 months at most. Then moved on to Meguiars wax instead.

Found this place eventually and that was the end for me
Alex_225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2010, 02:53 PM   #8
Racer

Thanked 1,562 Times in 574 Posts
Send a message via MSN to Racer
Go to a Jetwash and it should come off easily...if there is anything left already
Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2010, 09:27 AM   #9
Alsone
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by 888-Dave View Post
Totally agree with scott, the chances of there being any remains of the supagard left is very remote. Years ago I did a few stints in dealers that sold the stuff for a fortune
Maybe they changed the formula Dave.

I bought some of ebay in late 2006 and put it on my RAV4.

After 3 years of regular washing with TFR it was still on the paintwork when I sold it in May 2010!!!!

I have no complaints other than it doesn't give the best shine. But as a sealnt, what I got I really couldn't complain about.
Alsone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
JNR77
Unwashed Member

Thanks guys for the replies.

The car is Monaco Blue; a dark met blue. On the assumption that it has worn off i am proposing the following (I dont have a machine polisher and will use what i have left in the garage);

Bilt Hamber Clay Bar, AG SRP, Meg Gold Liquid wax, AG EGP - let me know if i'm doing anything majorly wrong as i am new to all this!!!

I did the interior the other week; its Saddle coloured Nappa Leather, cleaned it with Gliptone cleaner & conditioner and it came up like new, plastic done with Aerospace 303, again impressed this that product too.
JNR77 is offline   Reply With Quote