Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone > Interviews
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 15,998 Times in 5,919 Posts
Garage
An Interview with Brynjar ( International )

Can you start by telling us a little about yourself?
As my nick says, my name is Brynjar. I’m 30 years old and live in Oslo, Norway. My daily work is within the Norwegian Government and very pleased with the work these days.

You could probably characterize me as a perfectionist when it comes to my work. I set high demands to my own performance, and also to the ones I work with. I’m pretty much very straight-forward and tell things the way I see it.

What else can I tell you about me?

Not too much, I enjoy fast cars, pretty ladies and also the occasional party in good company.

How did you ‘get into’ detailing?
My father used to have a car dealership and my younger vacations was spent in the shop. That’s where the interest for car cleaning really started.
When I bought myself a newer car in 2006 I placed a larger order for a full set of equipment and compounds and decides to brush the dust of some of the old skills.

It’s only the last two years that I’ve been active on forums, posting the work I do. The costumer requests have also started to really bloom, and unfortunately I have to decline a lot, due to the lack of time. I’ve started my own company called “BK High End Detailing.” What I rake in from this business is until now been put straight back, in investing in new detailing stuff.

How long have you been detailing at ‘this’ level?
At my current level a couple of years, but my skills and knowledge are improving for every car and trouble-shoot that I encounter. When I feel I don’t learn anymore, I think I’ll have to stop doing this.

How did you learn to machine polish and can you tell me about your first detail?
Machine polish? I only use hand application products with a lot of fillers… lol..

Guess I would have to tell you about the first machine polish, back in 1995. It was at my father’s dealership, and I started out with a pneumatic buffer and a flat/hard backing plate. This was pretty much ON or OFF, since the switch on the buffer was somewhat broken. It was either 0 or 4000 rpm’s. This was polishing with Autoglym diminishing compounds and the results were not something I would brag about today, but at least it was a start.

In the later days, say from 2007 I’ve been searching forums for tips and tricks. Here I’ve been picking up knowledge and tried to see if I could achieve for myself. The thrive that a car can always get shinier drives me.

How many cars have detailed over the years?
Not quite sure, but I would say around 150+ or so. Now, I’m not in to the numbers as this is not my main income. I’d rather do one car really thorough instead of ten 1 stage jobs. This is also what I think detailing is about, and what I try to live after.

What do you drive and how often is it detailed?
I’ve actually just sold my pride and joy over the last three-four years. A Volvo S60R, black with four wheel drive and around 350bhp.

I’ve not been a total fanatic with my own car, but I’ve given it a good machine polish twice a year, and regular washing, tire dressing and tried to keep the interior tidy. Going for a brand new car now, but not decided on the brand yet.

What is your favourite car to detail and why?
Not so much the car, but I like heavy turn-over’s where the owners are car enthusiast. This is the people who value and appreciate the effort you try to put in to the paintwork and also interior.

I also would have to say black cars. Easy to keep track of the correction level and also sooooooo pretty when thoroughly polished.

Do you prefer to detail a Supercar or everyday car?
Supercar and there are several factors to that. There is often more clear coat on them. The paint is often a little bit better than a “thrashed” used car so that I get more time to do all of the smaller details that I think really make the difference.

What piece of detailing kit do you think every detailer should have in their arsenal? (excluding the obvious stuff like wash mitts etc.)
If you’re going to do a massive correction work, I think you should have a paint depth gauge. It does not have to be the most expensive ones, since with some knowledge of paints and a lot of readings, you could the info you need.

Also for machine polishing you should be armed with both a diminishing and non-diminishing compound for cutting and also finishing. I’ve experienced on some paints that where a N-D polish does not finish of nicely or feel sticky, a diminishing might do the job perfect visa versa.

P21S is a product I think everyone should try, and I have stopped buying anything else when it comes to rim degreaser.

What are your current favourite brands and why?
I have a big load of products and like to mix it up a bit. These days I use a lot of Scholl Concepts for compounds and Swissvax for finalizing. I’m also very fond of Nano products.

What do you do when you’re not detailing?
As I mentioned in the first question I have my day time job. I’m also doing some extra education (business) three days a week in the afternoons.

A few quick fire questions:
Ferrari or Lambo ? Easy – Lamborghini (hand painted)
Wax or Sealent ? Wax
Fish and chips or bangers and mash ? Fish and chips
McDonald's or Burger King? McDonald’s
Coffee or Tea? Coffe

Best Regards,
Brynjar - Norway:-)
Old 23-09-2010, 10:39 AM   #2
Leemack
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,402 Times in 3,146 Posts
Garage

Nice one
Leemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 10:50 AM   #3
Auto Detox
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,115 Times in 638 Posts
Good rear Brynjar thanks for sharing

Baz
Old 30-09-2010, 08:33 AM   #4
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 15,998 Times in 5,919 Posts
Garage
Great insight
Old 30-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #5
Brynjar
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Happy times:-)
If there's anything else people are wondering about me, all you need is ask:-)
Brynjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #6
Leodhasach
1990-2011
Gone But Not Forgotten.

Garage
Thanks for sharing that, I always enjoy your threads
Leodhasach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2011, 01:08 AM   #7
l6v1
Unwashed Member

Great!