Detailing World Forum banner

Polished Bliss®: Land Rover Defender...

19K views 47 replies 45 participants last post by  MR.Q 
#1 · (Edited)
Bit of a change to the normal cars we get in here but it was one I'd looked forward to doing as it was a bit different :)

One of our regular clients had just purchased it for trekking through muddy fields etc so whilst perfection wasn't exactly the aim of this detail we decided it would be good to get a decent level of paint preparation and protection in order to make it easier for me to clean in future.

This is how it looked after I'd collected it:

Normally this is where I'd begin with the wash pictures but Alan was inside doing a car and needed the camera so we'll skip that part. The usual process was carried out and if anyone has any questions then fire away.

So with the car inside and dry I dressed the tyres first in order to let the dressing dry over the duration of the detail.

Product of choice was 3M which was sprayed onto the tyre walls:

This was then worked into the tyres with a Swissvax Pneu Brush.

The paintwork was a bit hit or miss, certain panels were completely flawless whilst others were bad for marring, random scratches and buffer trails.

The arch extensions were quite bad for a brand new car:

Menzerna 85RE and a 3M finishing pad @ 1500rpm's:

After:

Happy enough with that, I carried on round the car attending to the bits that needed machine work:

Bird bomb on the bonnet:

This area needed a slightly stronger combination:

Menzerna 3.02 & Lake Country Polishing Pad @1800rpm's:

Followed by 85RE and 3M Finishing Pad @1500rpm's:

Much better:

Last job was the tops of the roof which had some light marring:

Once that was done I went round the car with Swissvax Cleaner Fluid by hand:

Then applied Crystal Rock:

Wheels were sealed with Blackfire Metal Sealant, including the spare:

Exhaust polished with Brilliant metal polishes:

Before:

After:

Exterior glass polished and protected with Werkstat Prime Strong:

The dealership hadn't done the best job of cleaning the inside of the glass...

5 minutes with Swissvax glass cleaner soon solved that:

Before:

After:

Checking for smears with the Sun Gun:

The rubber mats were removed and pressure washed outside:

While they were drying I dusted out all the vents and crevices with a Swissvax interior brush:

Then hoovered:

I then sprayed the footwells and lower plastics with APC and agitated with a wheel brush:

Then wiped down all the other plastics with APC and a MF towel:

The mats were then put back in place before I used Werkstat Prime to protect the door shuts etc:

Engine bay was then wiped down after being dressed with 303 Aerospace Protectant:

Then I removed the wheel sealant and gave the paint a final wipe down to give the following results:

Total work time: 12 hours.

And just as a little teaser - here's what I'll be starting work on next week, the Clients latest purchase....

Should keep me out of trouble for a few days :D

Thanks for looking!

Clark

See less See more
#7 ·
One of our regular clients had just purchased it for trekking through muddy fields etc so whilst perfection wasn't exactly the aim of this detail we decided it would be good to get a decent level of paint preparation and protection in order to make it easier for me to clean in future.

Looks pretty much like perfection to me. Super detail and great to see something a little different.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.