Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Studio
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Studio The place the Detailing World Supporters display their work for viewing : This is a subscription section you will need to go to your userCP (top left of the page) and select Paid Subscriptions for more information.

Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 PM   #1
Mirror Finish Details
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,392 Times in 1,573 Posts
Garage
Mirror Finish Details - 3 Day Correction Detail White Honda S2000.

Evening all.

I was contacted by a member on DW and the S2000 Forum to carry out a full correction detail on his newly acquired Honda S2000 in white.

The car is about 2 years old and apart from all the usual swirl marks it was in mint condition. It was all the scratches after the swirls were taken out that would be the main problem. We think the car was regularly ran down a prickly bush in it's past life.

Much to Peter's really good car wash regime and his claying I was ready to go at 8:30am on Monday morning with a clean car.

White is a lovely colour but a real pain to see all the smaller marks in the paint, yet alone photograph them and we were going for as near dam to complete correction.

So on with the correction.

The swirl marks were easily enough to remove once I found the right polishing combo. The paint was not typical Japanese soft, it did give a bit of a fight, plus more fighting later. I settled in the end on Scholl A17 with a Scholl Wool Pad; nice easy swirl removal with a good finish.

It was after the swirls were removed under the halogens and Metal Halide light that the full horrors of the hundreds of scratches appeared. Some disappeared with a second hit of the wool pad but most were quite deep and long; the penny dropped that this was going to be a big job.

I took over 120 pictures and even with all different lights and manual focus I only managed to get a few of the problems, so most will be finished shots.

Looks great upon arrival.

Bonnet all taped up.

Trying to photograph the problems in the paint, not the easiest on white but captured pretty well in the bonnet. Not too bad really, just a bad washing technique from the last owner.

This was after one pass with Scholl A17 and a Wool pad leaving me with this.

Lights done.

As this combo worked pretty well at removing the swirls and smaller scratches I proceeded round the whole car. It was at this point that we realised that the car was severely scratched, and the swirls were hiding these nasty lurkers ready to bite us.

So all the sides of the car were covered in these. They don't look too bad but they were all over the car, some deeper, some very long ones and some short ones but deep and all needed addressing to get the finish the car and the owner wanted. All in all nearlly 10 hours was spent just addressing all the scratches. This is the best shot I got of them as well, they don't look too bad but they put up a major battle. The easiest way I found was with the DA and the Megs pads and polish, as just using a bit of the edge of the pad helped, once all the scratches were gone I re polished the car again with the DA.

Car was refined and burnished with the rotary with Ultrafina, again a good 6 hours was spent just burnishing the finish to a lovely glass like finish.

A full IPA wipe down was carried out leaving us with this.

Some under the lights.

My favourite reflection.

After all that work Peter and I decided on what protection to apply. As the car will now not move untill the Winter is over and will be on stands and live under a custom made furry cover; plus he is a real enthuiast when it comes to his cars we decided against any nano sealants as he will want to remove them. Wax was not a real option as he wanted a crisp finish so good old Opti Seal was applied just to give the car some protection while it sleeps the winter away.

Was a great job to do, 25 long hours and snow blindness the job was completed. A very happy owner and a second booking for his wife's black Accord.

Thanks for all the coffee's and sandwiches Pete.

Thanks for reading.

Steve
Mirror Finish Details is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirror Finish Details For This Useful Post:
ozy (24-11-2011)
Old 04-11-2011, 11:58 PM   #2
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,363 Times in 4,445 Posts
Great work loving the white , do you use the metal Halide and also the twin Halogen for correction work and is the Halide worth the extra cash as i was away to mount one on my tripod, thanks for sharing the pics
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
Mirror Finish Details (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:08 AM   #3
james_death
DW's 'Mr. Helpful'

Thanked 4,890 Times in 3,726 Posts
Great stuff looking forward to to some sunny summer pics..... That will be a blinder...
james_death is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to james_death For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
Mirror Finish Details
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derekh929 View Post
Great work loving the white , do you use the metal Halide and also the twin Halogen for correction work and is the Halide worth the extra cash as i was away to mount one on my tripod, thanks for sharing the pics
The Metal Halide is one of the best lights I have bought. I use that, halogens, sun gun, LED torches and normal torches on a detail; you can't have enough lights. The halide light was only £30. I can send you the link if you PM me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirror Finish Details For This Useful Post:
Derekh929 (05-11-2011)
Old 05-11-2011, 12:20 AM   #5
Jakub555
Banned

Awesome result Steve
Top man ..;-)
Jakub555 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jakub555 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
Jakub555
Banned

Did you use Da or Rotary ?
What about paint ,,was hard or soft ?
How many microns did you removed ?
Cheers
Really nice job
Another very happy customer
Old 05-11-2011, 12:29 AM   #7
Mirror Finish Details
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakub555 View Post
Did you use Da or Rotary ?
What about paint ,,was hard or soft ?
How many microns did you removed ?
Cheers
Really nice job
Another very happy customer
Hi Jakub.

Mainly rotary, with DA for the scratches and paint levelling.

Paint was hard for a Japanese car.

According to the paint meter we had 55um to play with; readings on the deepest scratches after correction were about 48um.

Cheers.
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 AM   #8
CraigQQ
Pass The Sandpaper. . .

Thanked 4,624 Times in 3,688 Posts
Garage
thats pretty thin paint steve.. typical japanese car lol..
CraigQQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 12:37 AM   #9
Jakub555
Banned

Just simple awesome,,don't wanna say looks like new cos this is no good in detailing , better than new because this is truth ,,, my customers they know now ,, new cars are not perfect ,,they know now ,,,and they like to say better than new

Nice one Steve
Old 05-11-2011, 12:47 AM   #10
Mirror Finish Details
Distinguished Detailer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigQQ View Post
thats pretty thin paint steve.. typical japanese car lol..
That is just the clear, we had 55um on average primer and paint under it.

Tags
cheshire detailing, honda detail, honda s2000, mirror finish details, s2000 paint correction