Detailing World Forum banner

Best 55" tv.. Samsung, Panasonic, LG???

4K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  DJ X-Ray 
#1 ·
Which one of the 3 55" tvs is the best, I cant find any comparison on the web.
The models are:
Samsung UE55ES8000
Panasonic Viera TX-P55VT50B Plasma HD
LG 55LM960V NANO FULL LED Cinema 3D

I will mostly be watching HD with the odd occasion watching 3D.

Thanks guys.

#2 ·
We are in process of buying 6 x 55" TV's for Video Conf at work... Opted for the Sony KDL55HX853BU

Getting them at roughly £1300 each. Very nice TV and decent reviews, main thing for us was a VGA input so could also be used as a presentation screen.

Doesn't help with your options but maybe another to consider. I personally like the Samsung but all my TV's at home are Samsung so that maybe why :lol:

#8 ·
There is no such thing as a perfect TV, so in effect each model has its plus and minus points. What is best for me might not be the best for you.

If you like action / fast moving sports then a Plasma is the better choice, LCD/LED panels are not quick enough response time wise.

Make sure you get advanced colour management on the TV you choose, there is a world of difference in a well calibrated screen.

If your main viewing area is a brightly lit room then a LCD will be the best choice as Plasma's tend not to fare well in such rooms, even the latest versions with the new filters.

Active 3D systems are less prone to crosstalk than passive systems, although the glasses are more expensive, they are the better option.

And it is true about the viewing angles that Plasmas are better than LCD, you can test this out in any Currys / Comet by looking at a LCD screen at about 33 - 45 degrees and then move round to the front you will definitely see the colours change and blacks will go from a greyish colour at an angle to near black towards the front. This does not happen in Plasma panels.

Pop over to AVForums, they are like us, dead keen and enthusiastic about their stuff. Link here to the main Video Electronics forum and its sub-forums.

And one final tip, if you are spending that much on a TV then make sure you get one from John Lewis as they will price match and also give you a 5 year guarantee. Comet and Currys will screw you for a few hundred quid for the same 5 year guarantee and it won't be as good as the John Lewis warranty. JL don't have a reputation as one of the best suppliers of warranties for nothing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.