Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone > Interviews
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-09-2012, 08:40 AM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 15,998 Times in 5,919 Posts
Garage
An Interview with Nick_CD

Can you start by telling us a little about yourself?
I’m Nick 23 from Doncaster, South Yorkshire. I Live with my amazing fiancé and with around 2 weeks left until i’ll have a bundle of joy is us! Not sure on sex as i thought we’d keep it a surprise.

What else can I tell you about me?
I was a retained Fire Fighter until May 2012 where I worked for South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue for 3 years until i got made redundant. I was one of the youngest in the brigade able to drive the Fire Engine so i was happy with that. I’m also into photography which i’m sure some of you may have figured out already! Haha. Also, sorry for the bad smelling you may have seen in my write ups I'm dyslexic but i never let that stop me

How did you ‘get into’ detailing?
Now i look back i think i’ve been a professions for as long as i can remember. Don’t let my age put you off, i find it hard not to pick imperfections out in every day life. I got into “detailing” when i got my first car at the age of 14. Looking at the best ways to get it looking better than new. I then got a job working for the local Honda Dealership where i ended up running the valeting bay. Although technically note a detailing roll, i found it hard been told to cut corners and use the wrong products in order to get “the showroom finish” so set up CleanDetail on a part time basis in 2006.

How long have you been detailing at ‘this’ level?
I don’t think i’ve been detailing at a particular level. My reason been is i’m learning every day like any other detailer. I’ve got the right combinations, techniques, experience and now the unit behind me to offer the very best I can. So the fact I’m getting customers travelling to me means i must be delivering the standard I set to achieve. I don’t aim for any other level other than the very best I can deliver and give customers the satisfaction I strive to archive.

How did you learn to machine polish?
Mainly from working at Honda in a main dealer environment. But as always i’m never happy so bought myself a rotary, scrap panels and started to give myself the skills i have today. Even know i do testing with scrap panels just to make sure i’m still giving the best i can. Testing new products, pads, and of course myself. Of course I’ve been to the Autoglym course but by this time I knew what was the best ways to get the finish i do today.

How many cars have detailed over the years?
Going from my photos, its 300+ but i don’t always get time to take photos of cars i’ve detailed.

Tell me about your first detail
My first “full” detail was a 1999 Ford Focus in black. I actually did this while at Honda over a few evenings and a weekend. Most of the chaps were stunned to see something i call a “clay bar” but i loved it from day one.

What do you drive and how often is it detailed?
Well, i’ve just sold my Track car which was a 1999 Ford Focus, stripped, caged and loooow. I drive mainly my van, (Vauxhall combo) which is washed as and when i get 5 mins. So, once a week to 4 times a week. Its detailed around every 6 month due to not really having the time. We also have a 2011 BMW 1 Series in white which is cleaned and given a quick once over every week and a layer of wax, iron x etc monthly. Although its due another full detail before winter.

What is your favourite car to detail and why?
Porsche’s. No matter what age or condition. Always love a challenge but the shape of the car means you can get some amazing photos once its done.

Do you prefer to detail a Supercar or everyday car?
I get asked this alot. Now i can appreciate detailing a supercar. But i cant always show off what level i’m at as quite often supercars have done very little in mileage and are more or less in an average condition. I love detailing older cars, Just done a passat with over 110k on her, as well as a ford galaxy which looks like its had a machine car wash for the whole 143k miles its done. Both of these might not me a supercar, but to someone its there little treasure and i get the added bonus of showing exactly what can be achieved, and you done need the budget that comes with a supercar to get the same level of finish.

What piece of detailing kit do you think every detailer should have in their arsenal? (excluding the obvious stuff like wash mitts etc.)
The Mothers Polishing cone! It makes them exhausts a breeze to polish.

What are your current favourite brands and why?
I’m using a lot of Autobrite, Swissvax & Scholl at the moment. But in the forever expanding business of car care products, i test products daily in the search for something better. I don’t always believe a fancy label contributes to a good product so i take each product as it comes.

What would be your single most important piece of detailing advice?
Stick to what you believe in. If your called picky and Anal, take it as a complement as that what detailing is all about. If your told a product is amazing, don’t take someone’s word for it until you have used it yourself. Everyone has different preferences to products and their expectations.

What do you do when you’re not detailing?
I’m been a picky bugger at everything else. I find it hard not to pick out the imperfections on anything in everyday life. Otherwise i’m doing reviews, cutting the grass and out on my trials bike (push not motor)

A few quick fire questions
Ferrari or Lambo ? Lambo
Wax or Sealant ? Sealant
Fish and chips or bangers and mash ? Bangers and Mach
McDonald's or Burger King? Burger King Chips, Mcdonalds Sweet Chilli Chicken Sandwich
Coffee or Tea? Tea, everytime!!
Old 12-10-2012, 11:14 AM   #2
RefinedDetails
DW Supporter

Garage
Send a message via MSN to RefinedDetails Send a message via Skype™ to RefinedDetails
I assume the baba has arrived now Nick? Nice interview
RefinedDetails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
CleanDetail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,140 Times in 396 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to CleanDetail
I wish!! Still waiting..... 3 days overdue as we speak
CleanDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #4
steve from wath
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,890 Times in 1,922 Posts
I then got a job working for the local Honda Dealership where i ended up running the valeting bay

what did that feel like @ 17ys old,daunting?
steve from wath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 11:50 AM   #5
CleanDetail
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,140 Times in 396 Posts
Garage
Send a message via MSN to CleanDetail
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve from wath View Post
I then got a job working for the local Honda Dealership where i ended up running the valeting bay

what did that feel like @ 17ys old,daunting?
Yep! but all good fun
CleanDetail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 12:13 PM   #6
cossienuts
PC Perfectionist

good interview
cossienuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cossienuts For This Useful Post:
CleanDetail (02-01-2013)
Old 19-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
AllenF
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,826 Times in 2,006 Posts
Garage
Lol
You cant beat working in house for a dealer the problem now is the contract boys they all put in now ( wont name them we all know who they are) at 17 jeez it was tough at 21 but that was a merc dealer that anal doesn't come close to describing. Nice to see its going well for you nick good luck in the future
AllenF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AllenF For This Useful Post:
CleanDetail (24-01-2013)
Old 19-01-2013, 09:35 PM   #8
carlblakemore
PC Perfectionist

Knew most of that mate but interesting to read again!! Hope the little one arrives soon!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
carlblakemore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to carlblakemore For This Useful Post:
CleanDetail (24-01-2013)
Old 19-01-2013, 09:44 PM   #9
Trip tdi
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,016 Times in 2,678 Posts
Good interview, you have achieved alot in your life for your age, so respect to you
Trip tdi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trip tdi For This Useful Post:
CleanDetail (24-01-2013)
Old 19-01-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
MidlandsCarCare
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 6,858 Times in 3,604 Posts
Great story Nick and on-going success is well deserved.

Russ.
MidlandsCarCare is offline   Reply With Quote