Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone > Interviews
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24-11-2015, 08:15 AM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 15,998 Times in 5,919 Posts
Garage
Interview with Larry at AmmoNYC

Thanks to Larry at Ammo NYC

Can you start by telling us a little about yourselves and your department ?

Yes, I have been obsessed with cars from a young age as most of your readers. Been detailing for close to 17 years now. Here are a few great links to articles that have been written that might be helpful.
http://carsalways.com/2013/01/07/the...sion-for-cars/

When did you start working for X ?
I have pretty much always worked for myself. I did spend some time early in my career working for a "Movie-Car" company that rented special/unique cars for television and movie industry. I left soon thereafter to build my car wash business.

How did you get to work for them ?
Craigslist

Where are you based ? and where can we buy products from ?
NY. www.ammonyc.com

What are you day to day responsibilities?
Detailing and maintaining my website after detailing all day

Tell me about your first product that your company Sold ?
Hydrate. Like all of my products, I simply wanted to make products for my particular business. I had no initial intention of global sales. Just wanted good stuff for my personal business.

What’s the best selling product on the shelf ?
Usually Hydrate, but it depends on the season. Skin is very popular as well.

Which are the Staff’s favorite products ? Why ?
I like Brute Wheel Soap and Creme. They are my secret weapons when it comes to cleaning a car quickly and having intense shine. Great for my business.

What piece of detailing kit do you think every detailer should have in their arsenal? (excluding the obvious stuff like wash mitts, etc.)
Compressed air is key for inside the car, especially if you deal with many dirty interiors. Most overlooked, but super helpful.

How much testing goes into making a product or choosing one to sell?

Hmmm....Well I started making them myself in 2009-2011. Literally learning the chemistry. My wife is a PhD Chemist and my father worked as a chemist for many years....so I guess its in the family. I test the products pretty much daily, because I use them daily. Its important to me that people understand that I'm a detailer, not a guy in a suit selling products. A detailer. I support my family by detailing, so its important to me to make quality products for ME and my business....I extremely lucky and honored that others love AMMO as well. Its a wonder feeling, but I have no problem removing a product from my website if I think it needs to be re-worked. (which I've done). I have no bosses, or shareholders telling me what to do or how much to charge etc...I'm a detailer making detailing products and enjoying my career and the cars. I love this geeky stuff.

If you could make a new product what would it be ?
I would (will) make a primer coat or jacket for the paint that allows additional layers of protection to stacked on top of it. I dont believe 1 product lasts forever or will prevent scratches, bullet holes, or meteorites. Its just not true, so I want to make something powerful yet realistic. I do not like the salesman approach. Not my thing.

What are the main Values that drive the company ?
Authenticity. I'm a detailer. Its very simply. And driving is extremely important to me. Drive your car. Garage queens are cool, but what excites me is cleaning my car and then going to get it dirty. I live for that concept.

What are the main Challenges the company faces ?
My time. I get soooo many emails from so many amazing people that it is challenging to respond to everyone in a timely manner because I detail all day. I do always manage to get back to most, but its usually a few days or even a week later which puts a lot of pressure on me because I really do want to answer questions and help my detailing friends.

Can we expect anything new from you ?
Yes. I'm always creating new products. The difference is...if its not 100% sorted out I do not come out with it. Again, I have no one telling me to "hit this revenue or hit those sales goals". Doesnt work that way. When I'm ready to share a product idea, then I do. Thats what makes AMMO different.

Whats different about the company ?
Built by a detailer who still details. Spent his time in a lab, mixing chemicals, making mistakes and learning.

Where will the company be in say 10 years ?
Good question. Hopefully stronger everyday. Not sure if I want BIGGER. I just want the AMMO family to be stronger or tight nit. I have a son on the way, so I hope he and I can wash cars together with AMMO products and hopefully it provides enough one day to put him through school or maybe help him start his own dream (as corny as that sounds).

And a bit about you - (Quick fire - One Word/Short answers)

Do you detail cars ? Yes

Whats your dream car? Why? Audi R8 GT (but still able to drive on the street) I've always like the body of the R8 and the GT version speaks to my racing desires. I would LOOOOOOVE to drive that on the street as a daily. Holy crap!!!!!! WOULD LOOOOVE THAT.

What do you do when you’re not selling detailing products? Hang with my wife and watch movies. (reading porsche magazine while I'm watching)

What do you drive and how often is it detailed? Porsche 964. Too much LOL.

If you could meet anyone, living or dead, who would you meet? Paul Newman would be cool.

If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be? I wish I saw Ayrton Senna race at Monoco in the rain

If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do? Payoff my house and put the rest in savings. (Maybe drive to the bank in my Audi R8 GT LOL!)

What’s the best/worst gift you’ve ever given/received? Best Its sounds corny again....but my baby boy.

What is something you learned in the last week? Things always seem to workout, if you think they are going to workout. Most things are not a disaster. Just keep fighting thru the issue and it seems to unwind itself sooner or later.