Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 18-06-2017, 06:43 PM   #11
AndyW.inuk
Unwashed Member

So, how's it holding up / what's the verdict 18 months on? ;-)
AndyW.inuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 07:08 PM   #12
Deadshot
Sponge Jockey

We just bough a car from motor depot and they offer this, basically anything they do apply will be sealing in all the swirls and scratches they have induced when they poorly prep the cars

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Deadshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 07:38 PM   #13
muzzer

Thanked 4,232 Times in 2,671 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyW.inuk View Post
So, how's it holding up / what's the verdict 18 months on? ;-)
It's only designed to protect against UVB, it isn't a proper ceramic coating as such and to be honest, it's a waste of time unless you are the 'wash the car on a sunday with a sponge type'.

Avoid.
Old 18-06-2017, 08:53 PM   #14
Mcpx
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Dealers don't routinely give away £400 worth of anything unless a) there is far more than £400 profit in it for them or b) the £400 worth of stuff is not really worth anything like the £400 they say it is. In this instance, I'd go with the second explanation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 12:37 PM   #15
AndyW.inuk
Unwashed Member

Ok thanks guys......shame nobody with actual experience of the product to comment. As has been pointed out this treatment is unlikely to make much difference to the actual quality of the paint finish.....that's down to what you start with and any preparation work.

Well we had the free ceramic treatment on our just purchased Ford Focus TX (Dealer had reached his bottom price, I was still haggling and so the Williams coating was offered) - no swirls or other flaws in the paint (not sure how much that's down to prep and/or actual condition of paint pre wash and 'detailing'), perfect....after rain last night I've never seen water 'bubble' (for want of a better description - you know what I mean....ha, just came to me....bead!) so distinctly on a car paint surface whatever polishing, waxing or other treatment I've prepared any of my previous cars with.

If it says ceramic on the tin surely it has to be ceramic by virtue of trade descriptions legislation? Williams also offer a 'Synthetic' treatment so kinda lends credence to one being 'ceramic' and t'other not? On the ceramic coating, the Uk distributor states....

"Ceramic Coat bonds with the pores in the paintwork to form an extremely durable, crystal clear finish that needs no maintenance except washing.
It resists UV light, cold, frost, acid rain, exhaust fumes, bird lime (provided it is removed within 21 days) and solvents.
"

Full info for anyone interested:
http://www.autoprotect.co.uk/docs/Wi...at_Leaflet.pdf

....as I see it it's like giving a car a super polish that won't have to be done again for years (5 year warranty) - we'll see!

A little bonus....you get...

......the products are on the garage shelf and the 'semi rigid' case

....is in the boot after a change of use

Old 30-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #16
muzzer

Thanked 4,232 Times in 2,671 Posts
Garage
I spoke to the supplying dealer when i noticed a minor scratch on the wing mirror, the exact words used were
"Oh, it only protects against UVB, it doesn't protect against scratches sir"

That to me suggests it is NOT ceramic protection a la Gtehcniq, it is more silicone sealant to me. I have to say, i am not overly impressed with it's performance after 15k miles.

I might be a bad test subject as the dealer that supplied the car were a bunch of incompetents and i doubt they applied it properly, they couldn't do anything else properly that's for sure.
Old 30-06-2017, 01:11 PM   #17
AndyW.inuk
Unwashed Member

Thanks for feedback........surely any non visible coating (i.e. super thin) won't protect against 'scratching'?...reduce 'swirls' and the likes from cleaning maybe?
Old 30-06-2017, 01:48 PM   #18
fatdazza

Thanked 1,472 Times in 1,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
I spoke to the supplying dealer when i noticed a minor scratch on the wing mirror, the exact words used were
"Oh, it only protects against UVB, it doesn't protect against scratches sir"

That to me suggests it is NOT ceramic protection a la Gtehcniq, it is more silicone sealant to me. I have to say, i am not overly impressed with it's performance after 15k miles.

I might be a bad test subject as the dealer that supplied the car were a bunch of incompetents and i doubt they applied it properly, they couldn't do anything else properly that's for sure.
Ceramic coatings offer very little protection against scratches

They may offer some protection against marring and swirls .
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 04:54 PM   #19
cargainz
Orbital Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
Dealers don't routinely give away £400 worth of anything unless a) there is far more than £400 profit in it for them or b) the £400 worth of stuff is not really worth anything like the £400 they say it is. In this instance, I'd go with the second explanation.
The package of what they are selling e.g. Supagard can be bought for £30 and sold to hapless motorists for up to £500.

If I sound like a broken record then do forgive me but these lifetime protection deals from dealers are very rarely worth what you pay for them or the liftime or 5 year guarantee etc. Corners are cut as far as vehicle prep, application so its very rarely worth it.

Save the £400 or £500 and get the car professionally detailed i would say.
cargainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #20
Mcpx

Have been to a dealer today and was offered the Williams Synthetic Coating for £189 with a lifetime guarantee. Conversation went something like

‘so what do you do for a living then?’

‘I detail cars’

‘Oh, so you won’t want that then?’

‘yep’
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
realist (27-12-2017)