Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 06-08-2017, 03:08 AM   #281
wrxmania
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
Interesting journey home from work tonight About 5 minutes from the house, circa 01:45am, came across a transit van, dumped in the middle of the road, completely smashed suspension on one side (had obviously hit a 1 foot high chicane in the middle of the road) - they had obviously stolen in as it had all the door open, no keys, tools obviously taken from the back and then they have legged it!

On the phone to Police Scotland for a good while describing it - was partially blocking the road, plus the oil/fuel and it's a road the local boy racers like to pile down (once the traffic calming).

wrxmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:02 AM   #282
MrRJ
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
Yeah - I think it was specific to the year as it was a new car at the time. It has every other possible extra, and I used the electric rear blind as a tint on the back when I needed it.

All the new ones have the rear tints but I think at the time when the car was built, the were less common. Now ever "top of the range" anything has rear "privacy glass".

You'd be surprised.. My IS is a premier (top) with all the options except a sunroof and it didn't have rear privacy glass. My previous CT was also a premier which did have tints, so when I got my IS I felt a bit exposed! Getting the tints was one of the first things I did!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
MrRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrRJ For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:10 AM   #283
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,447 Times in 1,842 Posts
Garage
Weirdly, every grade of the Toyota Avensis estate apart from the base one comes with tinted glass from the factory (not the driver / front passenger door though). Factory or aftermarket, they're well worth having IMO, as they do help to keep it cooler in the summer, as well as the privacy benefits.

Loving the duck tape repair by the way

Last edited by steelghost; 06-08-2017 at 09:12 AM.
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:12 AM   #284
Andyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrxmania View Post
They look to have most disappeared now - he reckoned over the next day or so. Same as previous times I have had tints done.

That's great news. Is looking very nice now

Obviously it's down to your little helper
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
wrxmania (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 11:05 AM   #285
wrxmania

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelghost View Post
Weirdly, every grade of the Toyota Avensis estate apart from the base one comes with tinted glass from the factory (not the driver / front passenger door though). Factory or aftermarket, they're well worth having IMO, as they do help to keep it cooler in the summer, as well as the privacy benefits.

Loving the duck tape repair by the way
Yeah - my Avensis (a 2.0 SR) had them too.

Duck tape repair holding out well - OEM spec
The Following User Says Thank You to wrxmania For This Useful Post:
steelghost (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 11:13 PM   #286
wrxmania

Garage
Spoke to the very helpful guys at WoWo's at the Ignition Festival today (SECC, Glasgow). Bought a set of 5 products, which all look superb (5 for 4 show price special).

Really keen to support local products and business and this one was much closer than I realised!

Looking forward to getting them on the car

Old 06-08-2017, 11:19 PM   #287
wrxmania

Garage
Was at the Ignition Festival today at the SECC, Glasgow. Some very nice cars on display and the car clubs completely showing up the main dealers/manufacturer stands for prep of the cars. Arnold Clark's stand in particular - some of the cars had road dirt & mud all over them and had obviously not been prepped at for the show (this was day 3!!) - poor show. Also, many of the manufacturer stands - the cars were covered in swirl marks, scratches and some pretty poor looking stock.

I know it's not a detailing show, but the cars were all under harsh lighting and they did not do themselves any favours. Some pics of lovely cars - and one pic I took of an Aston Martin bonnet

I was blown away by the prep and condition of this one - went back several times to look (if this is your car, SUPERB job!):

And here is an example of a swirly bonnet

Old 07-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #288
wrxmania

Garage
Tints settled in well now and barely a bubble to be seen anywhere:

Old 09-08-2017, 10:44 PM   #289
wrxmania

Garage
Finally, managed to get 4 hours and started work on the underside of the car. Realised when doing this, and clearing the garage, I have lost my trolley jack (assume I gave someone a loan of it). Anyway, new one ordered and coming tomorrow:

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/tj3x-...iABEgIXR_D_BwE

Anyway, I wanted to do some work on the exhaust sections, primarily the backboxes, I could reach on the ground under the car. The offside one had a few splits in the outer skin of the box, and the nearside one had some, but less severe. Also the faces of the exhaust should be black but this was flaking back to silver and looked scruffy from behind.

My main aim was to get some rust treatment onto it, patch in any cracks, and help prevent the exhaust degrading further and needing replaced. Where the two boxes join in a Y piece is also prone to splitting so wanted to help that stay as solid as possible for a while yet. Otherwise, the exhaust is in relatively decent condition for being the original system, nearly 11 years old!

Apologies for the tonne of picture, but may help someone in the future...

Firstly some shots to show you the general condition and issues:

I gave the face of this box a quick spray of Hammerite High Temp Paint to see how it would bond a week ago - this is the better box

The Y piece:

And the rougher looking one:

The products I used:

Starting wire brushing the better of the boxes and cleaning it up using G101 and IPA:

I then used these, from Lidl - the Wheel Mitt's were great (I'd NEVER put them near my wheels) but they did an excellent job of clearing the much, essentially like a double sided glove and came pre-lubricated.

Last edited by wrxmania; 09-08-2017 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:53 PM   #290
wrxmania

Garage
Anyway, on with the cleanup - I was NOT aiming for a show level of cleaning here!

Time for some Bilt Hamber Hydrate 80 - great stuff! I basically spent quite a while getting this onto any surfaces I could reach where I was working - metal supports, chassis parts etc:

I then noticed what looked like piles of dirt trapped inside one side of some of the plastic channelling under the car (look at the lower down "shelf" bit):

On closer look, looks like bonded on mud!

That had to go...

On working on that area, near the rear jacking points, I noticed this - out with the Bilt Hamber!

Last edited by wrxmania; 09-08-2017 at 11:27 PM.