Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Eco Friendly Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eco Friendly Detailing Talk About all your Eco Products here - Waterless wash / Steam cleaning etc

Old 23-11-2016, 04:54 PM   #1
dabhand
Washmitt Meister

Garage
More water butts and pumps

My garage and drive are at the bottom of my garden and with living in an upstairs masionette means running a hose isn't always a quick option, it can be done but takes a while to sort out. I've been using water butts to collect water for a few years now and use a Hozelock butt pump to run a hose for washing the cars and watering the garden.

After reading Steelghosts thread :
http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=369407
I decided to do the same sort of thing, but as my pump is a submersable one, I could leave it in the butt full time and connect a hose as and when needed.
All parts came from Ebay, mainly for ease of ordering rather than cost, the filter is a 100 micron one, the hose is 19mm internal and all fittings are either 19mm or 3/4" BSP, a standard Hozelock type connector was used to as a connection to either a hose or pressure washer.
I found I needed a tap fitted to the top of the butt otherwise the water syphoned out with the pump switched off.

The first thing to do was make a new lid for a water butt, for this I used decking, painted it with fence paint and cut it to size. A hole was drilled through the middle to allow the hose through,

All the fittings needed.

Filter mounted on a board

and mounted insitu under the tree by the drive, out of sight.

top of water butt with tap and 90° bends fitted, tap is a twist type 90° for on/off.

Pump attached on camlock fittings so it can be removed incase of water freezing in winter. It just hangs in the bottom of butt about 4 inches from the base so as not to collect too much debris

3 butts are fed from the garage roof, the pump sits in the last butt and is fed from an outside electric socket throught the wall of garage.

Well, that works :

Apart from the pump, I think all the fittings cost about £50, they could probably be sourced cheaper by a few pence if you shopped about. The most expensive bits were the cam lock fittings.
I've been thinking about the filters and have a Karcher filter in the garage not used, I'm thinking of moving the filter I already have to between butts 2 and 3 and mounting the Karcher on the board, this has better filtration, maybe a job for next year now.
So far this has worked great and having 'free' water is very satisfying. In use it's so easy to connect a hose or the pressure washer, flick a switch and have running water as the pump is already primed, as long as it rains ocassionally to fill the butts I'm ok.
dabhand is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dabhand For This Useful Post:
A&J (24-11-2016), MDC250 (23-11-2016), steelghost (23-11-2016)
Old 23-11-2016, 08:00 PM   #2
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,761 Times in 2,067 Posts
Garage
Very nice setup mate As time goes on I am particularly appreciating the lack of water spotting when you rinse you car with it.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 09:12 PM   #3
Tabbs
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
This looks great ��
Tabbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
funkydunk
Washmitt Meister

Will you move the pump between the water butts if one runs dry? Good work can't say no to free water.
funkydunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:32 PM   #5
dabhand
Washmitt Meister

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkydunk View Post
Will you move the pump between the water butts if one runs dry? Good work can't say no to free water.
Thats the plan, there's enough spare hose to move between 2 and 3.
dabhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:49 PM   #6
uggski
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabhand View Post
Thats the plan, there's enough spare hose to move between 2 and 3.
I think I saw something similar on here where the three butts were linked and that helped keep the water in the last butt really clean. I think they over flowed in a sort of daisy chain. Can't find the thread though.
uggski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2016, 10:53 PM   #7
Cookies
Distinguished Detailer + Dw Reviewer

Thanked 5,085 Times in 3,719 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggski View Post
I think I saw something similar on here where the three butts were linked and that helped keep the water in the last butt really clean. I think they over flowed in a sort of daisy chain. Can't find the thread though.
Yeh - I remember reading that too. The three butts were linked with 1" polypipe at the top of each one. The collected water would run into the first, when it filled, it would overflow into the second, with any silt remaining at the bottom of the first. Process repeated for #2 into #3. Will see if I can find it too.

Cooks

Edit - here's one for starters.http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=356595

And a very detailed version - loads of info in here http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...d.php?t=101974

Sent from my D6603

Last edited by Cookies; 23-11-2016 at 11:00 PM.
Cookies is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cookies For This Useful Post:
uggski (23-11-2016)
Old 24-11-2016, 06:14 AM   #8
A&J
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,167 Times in 850 Posts
@Dabhand

Very interesting...nice writeup.

Same goes for steelghost in his thread
A&J is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to A&J For This Useful Post:
steelghost (24-11-2016)
Old 24-11-2016, 08:41 AM   #9
CoachPJ
Sponge Jockey

Great set up.

Letting 1 water butt flow into another would help filter the water even more - as mentioned above.

However......
I've previously used a pair of tights over the down pipe prior to flowing into the water butt and this helped catch any larger partials of dirt again making the water 'cleaner'.
CoachPJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 08:06 AM   #10
Michael81
Unwashed Member

Wow, it looks great. You had a very nice idea and the set up looks great and the cost was not that big. I think I will try to build something similar.
Michael81 is offline   Reply With Quote