Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Eco Friendly Detailing
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Eco Friendly Detailing Talk About all your Eco Products here - Waterless wash / Steam cleaning etc

Old 05-07-2017, 12:31 PM   #1
Schizophonic
Washmitt Meister

Send a message via MSN to Schizophonic
Advise on my waterbutt setup

Hi

Been reading a few threads and while I'm getting my head around around the whole water harvesting issue, I'm not getting a clear answer what I need to do as most of it can be trail and error.

I've got 1 waterbutt system and a 3P Rainwater filter (yet to be attached) and I'm wondering if I need some kind of micro filter between that filter and the water butt?
If I have that would it actually help as I can imagine stuff (technical word) for it getting and sitting in the waterbutt. I've seen other people using a 2/3 waterbutt system but its a bit other kill I think.

Its going to be attached to a compact K4 Water Pressure but I've yet to test if the pressure is enough. (That's another story)

So is it worth getting a micron filter between the filter and waterbutt or should I skip this all together and concentrate getting a filter from the waterbutt to the hosepipe?

Thanks.
Schizophonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
TonyH38
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Having more than 1 water butt is not overkill if you want to attach a P.W. The more you filter the water before final container the better.
TonyH38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 01:07 PM   #3
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,754 Times in 2,062 Posts
Garage
Having more than one water butt is also not overkill if you want to store more than one water butt's worth of water - and 200 litres (probably 180 usable capacity) doesn't go very far if you have a dry spell, especially if you're also using it to water the garden.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:09 PM   #4
Gatsojon
Unwashed Member

I've got 6 butts linked together which helps to maintain a decent head whilst in use. I have the main flow in from the roof into one but take the water out of the next to allow the first to act as a settling tank. I then get very little debris in the filter.
Gatsojon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 03:29 PM   #5
Schizophonic
Washmitt Meister

Thanks for the advise people but can someone advise when or if a micron filter is required and where?

Just don't want to put unfilter water through my PW and after a couple of barrels usage it clogs up the unit?
Old 05-07-2017, 03:55 PM   #6
GP Punto
PC Perfectionist

Stoopid question - does a pressure washer need a hose pipe on mains water or will it suck up the water from a bucket?

For car washing I use water from my barrell, not sure of the capacity, I think 200 litres, havent tried it with the PW though.
GP Punto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 04:05 PM   #7
steelghost

Garage
A micron filter seems like overkill to be honest. I have been running my PW (Kranzle HD7) for two years on water from water butt #2, through a 50 mesh (300um) Hypro inline filter and it's been fine.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #8
steelghost

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Punto View Post
Stoopid question - does a pressure washer need a hose pipe on mains water or will it suck up the water from a bucket?

For car washing I use water from my barrell, not sure of the capacity, I think 200 litres, havent tried it with the PW though.
"It depends". Some PWs will run fine on low pressure supplies, others can be damaged by doing so. You want to ask the manufacturer to confirm, really, otherwise you could find your warranty may not stand up (or you might knacker your machine, warranty or not!)

I specifically chose my machine because it is marketed as suitable for using low pressure water so long as you can maintain sufficient flow, which is why I have a large ID hose from the butt to the PW.

An alternative approach is to use a suitable pump in the water butt, which several members have done.

Last edited by steelghost; 05-07-2017 at 04:10 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
GP Punto (05-07-2017)
Old 05-07-2017, 04:30 PM   #9
Schizophonic
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Punto View Post

It would vary from each pressure washer, some can suck water from a static source some would need an running water source.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schizophonic For This Useful Post:
GP Punto (05-07-2017)
Old 12-07-2017, 04:55 PM   #10
Schizophonic
Washmitt Meister

Just a quick update, installed my waterbutt and filter over the weekend.

It hounded it down yesterday and within 2 hours it filled up quickly. I'm going to test the water pressure tonight with my jetwasher but need to know how well it works and or if pressure is enough.

I don't want to damage my water pressure so can someone suggest a micro filter to use?