Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > Newbies & Introductions.....
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Newbies & Introductions..... Tell us something about you.

Old 11-11-2017, 08:38 PM   #1
Little bob
Unwashed Member

Newbie - advice needed

Just sold my Elise and bought a lovely Honda S2000 in Moonrock - not had chance to clean it yet, as only got it home last Sunday.

The car is very low mileage and in generally great condition but there are swirls for sure which I'm going to have to sort.

The advice I need is in two areas - firstly to get the paint sorted I feel I should take it to a detailer who can give me a great starting point that I can do my best to maintain.
I'm in Mid-Sussex can anyone recommend a good detailer for paint correction to get the swirls removed? And what sort of price would this generally cost?

And secondly, is there anywhere that has a list for a reasonable beginners kit to start with?

Appreciate any pointers from the wealth of expertise on the forum - thanks in advance.
Little bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 08:49 AM   #2
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 15,993 Times in 5,916 Posts
Garage
welcome along
Old 13-11-2017, 03:53 PM   #3
Illuminate
DW Sponsor

Welcome to DW

Use Discount Code DW20
Illuminate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2017, 03:27 PM   #4
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,431 Times in 1,828 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little bob View Post
And secondly, is there anywhere that has a list for a reasonable beginners kit to start with?

Appreciate any pointers from the wealth of expertise on the forum - thanks in advance.
I can't recommend a detailer but for a beginner's kit list you would want:

Some form of pre-wash - I like Bilt Hamber's Auto Foam but again there are lots of other good ones. This is applied to the car before you touch it, this can be done via a snow foam lance if you have a pressure washer, or via a pump sprayer (which I use even though I have a pressure washer). This is allowed to dwell for ~5 minutes before being rinsed off, either with a hosepipe or a pressure washer, this clears off the majority of the muck, especially the larger and "sharper" particles, before you actually touch the car so the chance of inflicting damage to the paint is much reduced.

Two good size buckets (don't need to be "special" car washing ones - the plasterers buckets from B&Q for about £6 each are good) for the bodywork, and another one for the wheels (the orange B&Q ones for £1 are fine for this). The idea here is to have suds in one and clean rinse water in the other, after washing each panel you can rinse your wash media in the clean water, avoiding rubbing the dirt over the paintwork

Some quality shampoo - something like Car Chem 1900:1 works well and is good value

Some good wash "media" - eg Adams Wash Pad for the bodywork, and something separate for the wheels eg a microfibre chenille mitt

A good drying towel - I have a "Drinker XL" from In2Detailing which I can recommend, but there are lots of other good ones. In conjunction with the drying towel it's useful to have a drying aid / QD; something like Finish Kare #425 Poly Wipe is a good bet

To be able to do the wheels you ideally want some wheel cleaner - something like Auto Glanz Alkalloy which can be diluted as needed - you can also look at things like Wheel Woolies to be able to get into the barrels between the spokes. Worth getting a spray bottle (even a smaller pump sprayer) to apply this to the wheels.

All of this will let you get the car clean and dry in a "safe" fashion. There's a huge amount of other stuff you could add, we haven't gone anywhere near protection for glass, paint or wheels yet, or done anything with the interior

Have a read of the following link for further explanation of the whys and wherefores:

http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...nd-drying.html

The other articles are also well worth a read: http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acata...re-advice.html

Welcome to DW and have fun!
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
Commander2874 (15-11-2017)
Old 15-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #5
Flaky_Bandit
Unwashed Member

Welcome. Great choice of car btw.

Reasonable kit - yes

Reasonable price? Good luck with that one

Seriously though lots of difference advice and opinions here.
Flaky_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2017, 07:08 AM   #6
Commander2874
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little bob View Post
Just sold my Elise and bought a lovely Honda S2000 in Moonrock - not had chance to clean it yet, as only got it home last Sunday.

The car is very low mileage and in generally great condition but there are swirls for sure which I'm going to have to sort.

The advice I need is in two areas - firstly to get the paint sorted I feel I should take it to a detailer who can give me a great starting point that I can do my best to maintain.
I'm in Mid-Sussex can anyone recommend a good detailer for paint correction to get the swirls removed? And what sort of price would this generally cost?

Hi and congrats on the s2000, amazing cars! I'm getting my FN2 type r professionally detailed which includes a full wash and decontamination, 2 stage machine polish and ceramic coating applied to protect the paintwork. This is costing me £300.

The guy I'm getting it done from does it as a part time hobby which might explain the excellent price.

Other quotes i recieved for the same work on my car ranged from £450 to £800!

I would recommend Lee who owns CVS valeting based in reading, Berkshire. He might be willing to travel to you and I've had my car done my him and he does an excellent job

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk
Commander2874 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 06:25 PM   #7
Prestige car care shop
Forum Sponsor

Thanked 1,220 Times in 754 Posts
Welcome to the black hole for your wallet lol

Discount code - DW10
www.prestigecarcareshop.com
Prestige car care shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 06:27 PM   #8
Andyblue