Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 30-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #11
BTS
PC Perfectionist

Thanks for all the help/replies gents. Will see what they say on Monday.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk
BTS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:
Andyblue (01-12-2017)
Old 30-11-2017, 10:58 PM   #12
Mark ST
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTS View Post
Hi Mark,

Its a 2017 F56 Mini Cooper S.

Was brand new in March! Its booked in for Monday morning so leaving it in the garage until then!

Yep, in that case mate I'd be round first thing demanding a new car. Simply not good enough
Mark ST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:25 PM   #13
Eddmeister
Washmitt Meister

What’s the cause of it?
Eddmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 12:32 PM   #14
Andyblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddmeister View Post
What’s the cause of it?

Suspect it’s either one of the seals round rear lights or the actual boot seal, but if it’s a common problem known about, the dealership should be able to do a fix easily.

Hopefully will sort out the trim / carpet issues for him as well without any issues...
Andyblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:18 PM   #15
Eddmeister
Washmitt Meister

Curious the missus has a 66 plate mini, will need to have a look at hers.
Eddmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:47 PM   #16
BTS
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddmeister View Post
What’s the cause of it?
Ive taken it in today to be stored in the workshop and they are looking at it Monday. Will update here when I know. What I've read online they usually replace the whole seal around the boot hatch and there is some adjustment to how the panels sit.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:17 PM   #17
TonyHill
Orbital Oracle

Curious that if it's a known fault that can be fixed, then why are they still letting them out of the showroom with faulty seals???
TonyHill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TonyHill For This Useful Post:
BTS (02-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 04:15 PM   #18
BTS
PC Perfectionist

So apparently it was leaking from the bottom left of the seal. New seal ordered along with various carpet items from the boot area. To be fair they have been good about it. Guess will have to see what happens now when the rain comes. Picking it up tomorrow.

The Following User Says Thank You to BTS For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (05-12-2017)
Old 05-12-2017, 04:45 PM   #19
Nanoman

Thanked 1,813 Times in 957 Posts
Garage
Having had two cars with water ingress issues you need to be very careful about your next steps. That amount of water inside the car will already be causing very expensive damage which won't show up until later. If you're planning to keep the car for any length of time you'll want to get some promises in writing right away.

I had a Lexus IS with water ingress issues into the boot just like you. The high levels of humidity in the car caused the electrics to go faulty which got very expensive very quickly. Water dripped down the inside of the windscreen, went in behind the dash into the electrics and into the fuse boxes behind the kick panels.

I had an SLK with water ingress issues which led to very expensive electrical failures just a few months later. The contact switches which touch metal on metal became furry/rusty so contact wasn't made when they touched. This meant the roof would intermittently get stuck in position up/down/halfway. 16 switches at £500 each. Thankfully we had documented the issues which were caused by Merc technicians. After the issues with the Lexus I sought additional reassurances from Merc about electrical gremlins caused by the water ingress that might not become apparent until months/years later. If I didn't have the previous issues documented and hadn't raised the potential for later issues due to previous water ingress I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

At the very least you want it documented that there has been significant water ingress.

The warranty covers manufacturing faults, faults that happen due to previous water ingress are not manufacturing faults. You might find yourself having to argue and prove that faults related to water ingress should not be excluded. Proving it will be very difficult unless you've got written agreements. If faults occur later, but within warranty, they could use the "The fault is caused by water ingress which isn't covered by warranty" excuse.

Either way I'd be aiming to reject the car if possible, if you're not planning on keeping it for long then perhaps just some written assurances will be required. If it's on a lease you need to make the leasing company aware so you don't get shafted for repair bills.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but water ingress in cars never, ever ends well.
Nanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:02 PM   #20
BTS
PC Perfectionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanoman View Post
Having had two cars with water ingress issues you need to be very careful about your next steps. That amount of water inside the car will already be causing very expensive damage which won't show up until later. If you're planning to keep the car for any length of time you'll want to get some promises in writing right away.

I had a Lexus IS with water ingress issues into the boot just like you. The high levels of humidity in the car caused the electrics to go faulty which got very expensive very quickly. Water dripped down the inside of the windscreen, went in behind the dash into the electrics and into the fuse boxes behind the kick panels.

I had an SLK with water ingress issues which led to very expensive electrical failures just a few months later. The contact switches which touch metal on metal became furry/rusty so contact wasn't made when they touched. This meant the roof would intermittently get stuck in position up/down/halfway. 16 switches at £500 each. Thankfully we had documented the issues which were caused by Merc technicians. After the issues with the Lexus I sought additional reassurances from Merc about electrical gremlins caused by the water ingress that might not become apparent until months/years later. If I didn't have the previous issues documented and hadn't raised the potential for later issues due to previous water ingress I wouldn't have had a leg to stand on.

At the very least you want it documented that there has been significant water ingress.

The warranty covers manufacturing faults, faults that happen due to previous water ingress are not manufacturing faults. You might find yourself having to argue and prove that faults related to water ingress should not be excluded. Proving it will be very difficult unless you've got written agreements. If faults occur later, but within warranty, they could use the "The fault is caused by water ingress which isn't covered by warranty" excuse.

Either way I'd be aiming to reject the car if possible, if you're not planning on keeping it for long then perhaps just some written assurances will be required. If it's on a lease you need to make the leasing company aware so you don't get shafted for repair bills.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but water ingress in cars never, ever ends well.
Please don't apologise. Some really useful information there. I am going in tomorrow so will put forward some of the points you raised and see what they say. I have never rejected a car before so will do some research prior to tomorrow.