Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > Garage/Product Collections
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Garage/Product Collections Post your Garage or Product Collection pics here....

Old 02-12-2017, 09:30 PM   #1
iain3915
Unwashed Member

Timber Garages - your experiences and tips

I'm looking to build a timber garage to store my car, protect it from the weather, tree SAP and just generally because I've always wanted one.
I'm planning on going for a good size single garage (6m by 4m). Something a bit like this by Passmores:

Keen to hear any advice, experiences, tips in relation to timber garages. Anything you would have done differently.

I'll be getting it from a timber garage supplier (rather than DIY) so would also be interested in any recommendations. I'm in Glasgow if it makes a difference. I don't mind spending a bit as the garage itself will be next to my house so will need to look good.

Thanks
iain3915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 10:49 PM   #2
al_crabby
Unwashed Member

My family have a fencing business and have built fences and sheds for years and we are going to have a crack at something similar for my bike/workshop next summer. First thing I'd recommend is speaking to your local timber yard. Normally they can cut trusses etc. As long as you give them basic sizing and will likely be cheaper.
Make sure your buying treated wood (often referred to as tanalized timber or pressure treated) as it will last far longer.

You'll need a decent base to build on too level etc. So that's another good place to start.
There's lots to consider if your outsourcing the work but any joiner should be capable. Just make sure the stuff they use is good.
Hope that's of some use
al_crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Simonrev
PC Perfectionist

Double check on different suppliers as to the thickness of the boards they use ... not all use the same. Make sure they are proper tongue and groove fitting rather than the cheaper nailed feather edge type boards.

I loved my timber garage at the last house - much warmer than a concrete equivalent and I actually had a super reinforced timber floor and it worked great (was only using it for an MGBGT)
Simonrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:06 PM   #4
aka.eric
Washmitt Meister

Blockwork covered with cladding...best of both worlds

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
aka.eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 10:02 PM   #5
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
There was a thread on here of someone's garage build. He had a wall for lower part about 1m high. Then the top was wooden, looked really good. I've had a search but can't find it.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #6
Harry_p
Orbital Oracle

I've built my own, I went about it in a slightly unusual way though, I made it as just a car port first, open in three sides and fixed to a building on the 4th. The next year I converted it into a full garage by adding a timber framework and feather edge boards.

I didn't want any windows on the sides for security / privacy and ease of construction, so used a conservatory type plastic roof which lets plenty of light it, warms up noticeably with a bit of sun in winter, but is still more shaded than working in direct sunlight in summer.

On the walls I used a breathable waterproof membrane before adding the external cladding, then on the inside I used rock wool insulation and boarded out with 18mm interloacking chipboard loft boards. These were both cheapest and easiest way for me to do it without having to transport or cut massive sheets, and fixed in a brickweave pattern are very strong.

The whole thing feels very warm and dry and very solid. Certainly far better than I was expecting.
Harry_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
verbarthe
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I have a Wooden Double Garage in 44mm Log and I love it , much better than my last concrete garage at my last house , it really is amazing how warm Wooden Garages can be and unlike Concrete, Wood breathes .

I bought mine in a kit and it was really easy to build , if you can make a jigsaw , you can make one of these , it s just bigger. This is the time of year to buy one as they don t sell many this time of year so some good deals to be had .
verbarthe is offline   Reply With Quote