Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 04-12-2017, 07:02 PM   #1
AddictedtoBase
Unwashed Member

Any Detailers On Here With Tinnitus?? Safe to use buffer????

Hows it going just wondering if there are any detailers on here who have tinnitus??

got it myself last year pretty randomly as i dont listen to loud music or machinery and its still here so it can happen even if your not a dj or something so be carefull!!

Anyways if anyone has tinnitus on here is it safe to do paint corrections etc with a buffer if i have some earplugs in?
AddictedtoBase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 07:20 PM   #2
Helicopter_red
Sponge Jockey

I suffer from mild Tinnitus, and work in a noisy environment with and without ear defenders! the louder the noise the worse it becomes for me, so i wear ear defenders whenever the noise is uncomfortable, and more so now than i used to!
If you wear decent ear defenders or plugs you should be fine only you can judge how it effects you though!
Helicopter_red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Helicopter_red For This Useful Post:
AddictedtoBase (04-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 07:27 PM   #3
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 9,664 Times in 4,732 Posts
Garage
I always wear ear protection to try to reduce the potential for this. I have bat like hearing and I cant imagine what it would be like to have tinnitus.
I do have white finger now unfortunately hence my push to use the rotary as much as possible. Its always been my machine of choice but now more than ever I'm conscious of both vibration and sound pitch

Also wear a dust mask too, seldom spoken about
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:37 PM   #4
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Any Detailers On Here With Tinnitus?? Safe to use buffer????

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoBase View Post
Hows it going just wondering if there are any detailers on here who have tinnitus??

got it myself last year pretty randomly as i dont listen to loud music or machinery and its still here so it can happen even if your not a dj or something so be carefull!!

Anyways if anyone has tinnitus on here is it safe to do paint corrections etc with a buffer if i have some earplugs in?
Yep, you'll be fine, wearing ear protection is always a benefit when dealing with noise, probably not "needed" for a polishing machine (unless the instructions do say so), but I'd say - as I have to many thousands of my patients - better to be than sorry, so I'd wear some, if for nothing more than peace of mind...
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Andyblue For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:41 PM   #5
Gaffa22
Sponge Jockey

Garage
I've had tinnitus for 28 years, it's a proper ba****d, caused by firing shotguns without using ear defenders.
I always wear ear plugs when riding my motorcycle but don't find normal machinery has any adverse effect.
My DAS6 pro is cettainly not loud enough to cause any problems
Gaffa22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaffa22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 07:43 PM   #6
Andyblue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter_red View Post
I suffer from mild Tinnitus, and work in a noisy environment with and without ear defenders! the louder the noise the worse it becomes for me, so i wear ear defenders whenever the noise is uncomfortable, and more so now than i used to!
If you wear decent ear defenders or plugs you should be fine only you can judge how it effects you though!

I'd recommend wearing ear protection when in noise, as you've said, noise can aggravate Tinnitus and if it gets severe, it really can be debilitating to some...

Last edited by Andyblue; 04-12-2017 at 09:12 PM.
Andyblue is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 11:42 PM   #7
JamesRS5
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I’ve worked on aircraft since age 16 but always been careful to use ear plugs and ear defenders depending on noise levels. 30 years on and I still use ear plugs when I’m operating polishing machines, had my hearing checked 2 weeks ago and apart from a dip at 8000hz my hearing is perfect. (8000hz could be the frequency of my wife’s voice).
JamesRS5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JamesRS5 For This Useful Post:
chongo (05-12-2017), Cookies (05-12-2017), Jue (05-12-2017), rojer386 (05-12-2017)
Old 04-12-2017, 11:52 PM   #8
Sawel
PC Perfectionist

My Tinnitus comes and goes - it's not severe, quite mild. I hear a tingling sound as I type this message. I wear ear defenders when I machine polish my customers cars.

If you're using the 3401 then you will definitely need ear defenders as it is LOUD!
Sawel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:31 PM   #9
westerman
Orbital Oracle

Worked in Engineering nearly all my life, now retired. In the early days little attention was paid to ear protection, or come to think of it little attention was paid to health and safety at work full stop.
Having seen a number of work colleagues suffer from deafness in their later life I would always use ear protection when using anything that creates noise.
westerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:39 PM   #10
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,838 Posts
Garage
Any one using any power tool on a regular or sustained basis needs to have hearing protection IMO.

Even if not giving you tinnitus symptoms now, it will be damaging your high frequency response. This happens to everyone as they age but no need to help it along!
steelghost is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
shine247 (05-12-2017)