Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone > Interviews
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2007, 09:27 AM   #1
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 16,217 Times in 5,937 Posts
Garage
Post An Interview With Refined Reflections

So as promised we are going to interview one of the Pro Supporter on a regular basis and this month it is Gary from Refined Reflections. Gary has supported DW pretty much from the beginning and here are a few questions that we thought might interest you

Can you start by telling us a little about yourself?

My name is Gary Funnell, and live in Norwich, Norfolk (yes I can drive a tractor ). I'm 42 and getting older every day married with 3 children (2 girls 10 & 9 and a boy 7)

How did you ‘get into’ detailing?

Having been in the automotive paint trade for most of my working life, including owning a couple of body shops (sold when I got bored of the industry and EU legislation), I've also run a couple of show cars for a few years (now sold ) so always been keen on keeping cars looking their best. At a show a judge suggested I should turn my hobby into a business, on the drive back I decided I'd got nothing to lose, I loved working on cars and making them look their best so why not make a living doing something you enjoy

How long have you been detailing at ‘this’ level?

Ever since I started getting into the show car scene, probably 9 years ago, although back then it was just being anal about cleaning 'Detailing' wasn't a term used back then. Since then I have been learning more and more, and I would say that over the last year I have been able to step up a level in work standards, but I'll never stop learning or trying to improve

How did you learn to machine polish?

When you start in the paint trade, you soon learn that a mop over of the car will bring out the real finish, ever since that day I have tried (with more success than failure) to improve my methods and results. I started out using an air feed rotary, then moved to a single speed rotary, then a 2 speed version then a 6 speed one, all of these were great at the time, but each change was an improvement. Last year after reading everything on Detailing World I bought a PC (Porter Cable), this was a learning experience to say the least, to some its a step backwards but for me it helped me improve my rotary work even more.

How many cars have detailed over the years?

That's a hard one, well over 100 this year for starters, that's machine polish details, and probably about the same number that didn't have machine polish work, all to me are details as they all required a dedicated level of work ethics and standards.

Tell me about your first detail

That's an easy one, my mate wanted his show car prepared for a show, and bet me £5 that I couldn't do a better job than him, red flag to a bull or what. The car was a 67 Mustang in red, I spent 4 days solid working, he was so impressed he gave me a tenner (back in the 80's that was a lot), at the show it was a different matter, he was almost in tears, he won the event he'd never even been placed in the past, needless to say I was asked to clean it every time he had a show to go too.

What do you drive and how often is it detailed?

After selling my last show car, I only drive my works van, which is washed every 2 or 3 days depending on weather (Silver is the best colour ever). As a works van and doing over 30k miles a year it gets a very hard life, as such its also now my mobile test bed for new products etc, so I'd guess it gets stripped and re-treated with something new every 3 or 4 weeks.

What is your favourite car to detail and why?

TVR's are my personal favourite cars to detail, its all down to the immense sweeping curves and lines.

Do you prefer to detail a Supercar or everyday car?

We all love to work on Supercars, however I prefer everyday cars, from a business point of view there are a lot more normal cars out there.

What piece of detailing kit do you think every detailer should have in their arsenal? (excluding the obvious stuff like wash mitts etc.)

The most important things to me are good quality microfibre cloths, and check them on a blank CD regularly don't think if they passed once they will always pass, sometimes even a stained one will be totally paint safe when tested. After this a paint thickness gauge, if possible one to read on composite materials, I know they are hellishly expensive but almost every car has some painted composite panels and if you get it wrong it could cost more than the gauge to put right. Saying this the gauge is only an instrument to give your guidance and not gospel.

What are your current favourite brands and why?

Menzerna polishes, although they can be temperamental so far I have yet to find anything that comes close
Swissvax waxes and cleaner fluid, their finish and ease of use count for a lot, and I was using them well before becoming Swissvax Approved, saying all of this I think there is next to no difference between Swissvax and Zymöl other than the price.
AutoSmart, selected valet products at a reasonable price but produce great finishes, easily comparable to well known detailing name products with a saving

What do you do when you’re not detailing?

Spending time with my family and friends, playing on the Xbox 360 (Forza 2 is the best ever game )

A few quick fire questions

Ferrari or Lambo ? Either but they have to be yellow

Wax or Sealent ? Wax

Fish and chips or bangers and mash ? Fish and chips

McDonald's or Burger King? Burger King Angus

Coffee or Tea? Coffee (milk and 1 sugar ) and lots of it

REFINED REFLECTIONS CONTACT DETAILS

Gary Funnell
Refined Reflections
www.refinedreflections.co.uk
0800 043 1994
07738 965 178

Refined Reflections Ltd
'the difference has to be seen to be believed'
Swissvax Approved Detailer

Old 09-08-2007, 09:36 AM   #2
SimonW
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I want to be interviewed (my day will come!)

Great job from both of you! gives a good insight into RR and Gary himself!

Cant wait for the next one!

Si
SimonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 AM   #3
gerry connelly

Quite informative, excellent.....more please.......erm who's going to interview you Whizzer?
gerry connelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 10:25 AM   #4
WHIZZER
T-Cut King (admin)

Thanked 16,217 Times in 5,937 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerry connelly View Post
Quite informative, excellent.....more please.......erm who's going to interview you Whizzer?

Erm will have to wait and see
Old 09-08-2007, 11:22 AM   #5
beedie
Washmitt Meister

great read, but someone will have to let me know about this CD test!!
Scott
beedie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:26 AM   #6
Detail My Ride
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,341 Times in 786 Posts
Garage
Exellent Read!
Detail My Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #7
streaky

good read
streaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:08 PM   #8
andycole

Garage
Nice one folks, a good insight to the pro detailing life
AC
andycole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 12:16 PM   #9
jedi-knight83

nice work... reminds me i should sign up.!
jedi-knight83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:29 PM   #10
ClarkeG

Garage
Nice reading
ClarkeG is offline   Reply With Quote