Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Newbies, Rules & Announcements > The Daily News Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Daily News Zone Want to keep up with whats happening in the Automotive industry - Check back here daily.

Old 17-12-2017, 09:26 PM   #11
C-220
Sponge Jockey

If the RHA and FTA were really concerned about filling the driver shortage then they would have made the industry put their hands in their pockets years ago to create training and recruitment which doesn't hit the driver in the pocket straight away.
They bring out the same winge all the time but don't actually do anything. What young kid can afford £2500 grand for his HGV at age 18?
There's nothing but barriers and cost in the way and hauliers don't want to pay either as well as insurance companies wanting 25 yr+ old drivers. Again the youngsters have no chance and go take a job else where and start earning straight away.
As said above conditions on the road are terrible and the reward is dire.
The most hauliers could wish for is being allowed to run roadtrains with one driver and three trailers which would help them a lot. The Government funded study into platoon trucks (three separate trucks linked by electronics and one driver) is a waste of money as you could do the same job safer and cheaper with only one driver and a road-train combination.
C-220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #12
mayhem85
Washmitt Meister

Autonomous vehicles will only be effective if all other vehicles are autonomous. Artificial intelligence cars? The government's need to sort a whole host of problems that we have in this country before they worry about autonomous vehicles, improving and increasing the police force would be on my priority list way ahead of alot of things. I've grown to distrust all the political parties but I understand there is a need for rules and regulations, I wished we actually corrected issues rather than move a few figures around so things look better on paper. Sorry guys, rant over
mayhem85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2017, 01:17 PM   #13
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,856 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayhem85 View Post
Autonomous vehicles will only be effective if all other vehicles are autonomous. Artificial intelligence cars? The government's need to sort a whole host of problems that we have in this country before they worry about autonomous vehicles, improving and increasing the police force would be on my priority list way ahead of alot of things. I've grown to distrust all the political parties but I understand there is a need for rules and regulations, I wished we actually corrected issues rather than move a few figures around so things look better on paper. Sorry guys, rant over
I had to giggle with an element of disbelief when Hammond announced driverless cars would be on the road within 5 years at the last budget, which was a few days after my mate told me "not in his lifetime"!

My mate reckons the only it can be currently done is if all roads are fitted with sensors etc which can communicate with the cars, which just isn't feasible. The current technology is far too unreliable where human life is concerned, with a prime example being the Tesla that mistook a white lorry for sky and the driver died. At a demo recently (i think he said in Germany) on a closed basic oval track the vehicle started speeding up in error and required human intervention.

My mate is the Professor of Electrical Engineering at the University of Chile, currently researching autonomous robots for the mining industry and space debris tracking for Nasa using radar and finite set statistics or something or another.

I know which one i trust out of him and Hammond!

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
mayhem85 (18-12-2017)
Old 18-12-2017, 11:59 PM   #14
ollienoclue
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

The rate of change is such that even industry experts cannot predict accurately how or when things will happen.

The internet and modern communications have hugely accelerated the rate of human innovation world wide.

If a computer can fly an aircraft then a truck is hardly going to be that hard.

You need only see the Tesla self driving software in action on youtube to realise that the future is just around the corner.

It won't be as effective or as fast as a human driver, at least not initially, but it doesn't suffer from driver hours and won't be impossible to recruit.

Some of the long distance journeys in the Sates for example, are thousands of miles long. Automated vehicle fuelling systems already exist. A human driver would take days to complete that journey. An automated truck would drive day and night.

You only need to see some of the current technology in the mining and manufacturing industries to realise that at least half the required innovations are already there.

Truck detects any kind of issue- it will slow down and stop and alert 24/7 controller and security services, heck, they could even drive the thing by remote if necessary or else dispatch a mechanic to go fix it. Already possible with some agricultural kit, you can monitor it in real time from your office.
ollienoclue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #15
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 2,973 Times in 1,856 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollienoclue View Post
You only need to see some of the current technology in the mining...to realise that at least half the required innovations are already there.
That's what my mate does, although he admits himself he is still using the algorithm he wrote for his PHD way back in the early 90's

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Martin_Adams

Last edited by Shiny; 19-12-2017 at 09:21 AM.
Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hgv