Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 23-12-2017, 06:55 PM   #11
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 10,025 Times in 4,793 Posts
Garage
20 microns, are you sure? There is normally well over that in primer lol.

if in doubt glare is the way forward. If it isn't showing signs of failure I would just stick with m205 and use the softly softly approach. Bit by bit methodically get the results
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
savvyfox (28-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 07:00 PM   #12
muzzer

Thanked 4,330 Times in 2,753 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stangalang View Post
20 microns, are you sure? There is normally well over that in primer lol.

if in doubt glare is the way forward. If it isn't showing signs of failure I would just stick with m205 and use the softly softly approach. Bit by bit methodically get the results
Yep, meausred it with a pdg some time ago and that was the reading about an inch and a half away from the leading edge of the bonnet.
Oh bit by bit is going to be the approach, start off with the least aggresive polish i can find with the least aggresive pad and measure the paint. If it's acheived the results i want, then i'll stop.

I know i wont get it perfect but if i can remove the worst of the swirls then i'll be happy and i am aware if i don't get my washing drying routine spot on, i'll only bring them back so that is my first plan of attack
Old 23-12-2017, 07:32 PM   #13
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Garage
what were the other measurements like? and whats the colour look like? there is low and then there is 20um lol
Old 23-12-2017, 07:46 PM   #14
muzzer

Garage
Quote:
what were the other measurements like? and whats the colour look like? there is low and then there is 20um lol
Middle of the bonnet was about 50 iirc, roof was an average of 70-80, doors and bootlid average of 80-90.
Its a metallic black, think Peugeot call it Nera.

Pretty sure the readings are accurate, i did the same with the skoda i had beforehand and that was an average across the car of 120 on all panels.

If you look under the bonnet, where the bracing is attached to the underside of the bonnet you can see where they have sprayed it and missed a few spots as you can see the undercoat.

Very thin indeed.
Old 23-12-2017, 07:59 PM   #15
Citygo
Washmitt Meister

Carpro essence with a gloss pad
Citygo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Citygo For This Useful Post:
chongo (23-12-2017), muzzer (23-12-2017), Yellow Dave (23-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 09:12 PM   #16
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
Middle of the bonnet was about 50 iirc, roof was an average of 70-80, doors and bootlid average of 80-90.
Its a metallic black, think Peugeot call it Nera.

Pretty sure the readings are accurate, i did the same with the skoda i had beforehand and that was an average across the car of 120 on all panels.

If you look under the bonnet, where the bracing is attached to the underside of the bonnet you can see where they have sprayed it and missed a few spots as you can see the undercoat.

Very thin indeed.
Wowsers if its accurate I am truly amazed. Really inspect the area in comparison with the rest of the panel, and then car, with different tone lights. If it shows signs of failure beginning just glaze it, every pass will bring you closer to actually making it worse. But if it looks pretty natural, softly softly and after every set let it cool, then take multiple readings and work out an average. Figure out how much removal you seem to be getting, inspect again, and repeat.

As you know, I work on a lot of restored and repaired cars so deal with thin areas frequently. You have to do what you have to do, but recognise when its counter productive is my best advice
The Following User Says Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
muzzer (24-12-2017)
Old 23-12-2017, 09:20 PM   #17
derbigofast
Orbital Oracle

Garage
ive had great results with scholl w6+ i know its not a polish but a filler heavy sealant but it fills well and lasts quite well so will save any accidental paint burning that could and should be avoided if possible
derbigofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 07:04 AM   #18
muzzer

Garage
Quote:
Wowsers if its accurate I am truly amazed. Really inspect the area in comparison with the rest of the panel, and then car, with different tone lights. If it shows signs of failure beginning just glaze it, every pass will bring you closer to actually making it worse. But if it looks pretty natural, softly softly and after every set let it cool, then take multiple readings and work out an average. Figure out how much removal you seem to be getting, inspect again, and repeat.

As you know, I work on a lot of restored and repaired cars so deal with thin areas frequently. You have to do what you have to do, but recognise when its counter productive is my best advice
Well as often said on here by yourself and others, i’ll do a test patch first and see what happens. If i get a good result and the thickness is still okay, then away we go but very very carefully and as you say, check the thickness religously.
If it isn’t good news, i’m leaving it well alone

Cheers for your advice anyway and i am listening
Old 24-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #19
SunnyBoi
PC Perfectionist

I'm on a similar boat here, super soft single stage paint abused with a woolpad by some idiot few years ago. All the edges have primer showing already, raised edges look darker with primer showing up.

I'm going to do one pass with essence and seal it with cquartz or similar glass coat.
SunnyBoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 07:48 AM   #20
muzzer

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyBoi View Post
I'm on a similar boat here, super soft single stage paint abused with a woolpad by some idiot few years ago. All the edges have primer showing already, raised edges look darker with primer showing up.

I'm going to do one pass with essence and seal it with cquartz or similar glass coat.
Believe it or not, this is from the factory and i’m the only owner.