Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 24-12-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Andehh
Unwashed Member

Light scratch/not home polishable, DIY remedies?

Our new carbon black Ford S Max, 3 days after collecting, had someone drag their trolley down the side of it.

Cardinal sin of mine to park in tescos/town unless quiet when I can park alone in a distant city corner, but Christmas demanded....

I have tried polishing it out with ultra cut & 2 finishing cuts, but I am an amateur with it, so am hesitant about anything more for fear of making it worse.

The day before Christmas I can't justify a professional chips away type repair (£200 ish?), but the scratches are really weighing on my mind.

There are three of them, each around 1ft long, 2 are picture below. Along with a nasty "smudge" in the paintwork from the chaos trolley handle being dragged hard against paintwork. I will try this with another go with the polisher I think.

Can anyone recommend any products that could be used to just take the "edge" off the scratches, if only to hide the whiteness of the lines. A touch up pen would be OTT I think, as you can only just feel the scratches with a fingernail, so they arnt that deep... Maybe something that wouldn't hamper a potential professional repair in future? (though doubt we will, it is a family wagon after all...)

Many thanks & merry Christmas!

Picture below, apologies for size....

Last edited by Andehh; 24-12-2017 at 11:15 AM.
Andehh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:19 AM   #2
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,223 Posts
Garage
Hmm, if your not feeling like you want to attack it much more how about something like autoglym SRP or any other products you may have just to try and hide it for now until after Christmas. Then decide if you want someone professional to look at it if your not feeling up to it, after all is a new car and you dont get a good result it will still be weighing on your mind. Merry Christmas
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Darlofan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
As above try srp 1st. Post location too you never know there might be someone local who can help out.
Darlofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #4
Andehh
Unwashed Member

Thanks very much guys, I've ordered some srp, though used Meguiars ultra finishing poliah twice (gently so though), and it didn't move them. Though it did get rid of lesser ones at the front & rear of the bodyside.

Any thoughts on how good chipex or equivalents would be for this sort of damage?

We are based, but travelling west Nottinghan area after Christmas. Would travel to & pay beer if anyone could improve on it.

3 days after we bought it, gutted just doesn't do it justice. Worse was a couple watched this prat do it, took great time to tell me how little care he took, how he bashed it etc... But then looked blankly at me when I asked if they got his registration. We missed him by a matter of a few minutes.

Last edited by Andehh; 11-01-2018 at 05:59 PM.
Old 24-12-2017, 12:00 PM   #5
Soapybubbles
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I can't see pics....?

Also where are you based?
Soapybubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #6
Christian6984
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 1,297 Times in 1,223 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andehh View Post
Thanks very much guys, I've ordered some srp, though used Meguiars ultra finishing poliah twice (gently so though), and it didn't move them. Though it did get rid of lesser ones at the front & rear of the bodyside.

Any thoughts on how good chipex or equivalents would be for this sort of damage?

We are Banbury based, but travelling west Nottinghan area after Christmas. Would travel to & pay beer if anyone could improve on it.

3 days after we bought it, gutted just doesn't do it justice. Worse was a couple watched this prat do it, took great time to tell me how little care he took, how he bashed it etc... But then looked blankly at me when I asked if they got his registration. We missed him by a matter of a few minutes.
you can get SRP from halfords or local car shops if your near to any. Ive only used chipex on a deep mark and it had little success, maybe better on finer marks but cant really comment. You'd probably want some paint thickness readings taking before getting more aggressive on it. If that didnt work could maybe get away with getting some correct paint and slowly filling the mark and then wet sanding followed by a polish to remove the haze but depends on how bad it is and how you'd feel about doing it. If in doubt id seek someone experienced or a professional
Christian6984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2017, 12:35 PM   #7
Andehh
Unwashed Member

Direct link:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/lx5jis9cmv...03225.jpg?dl=1

We are Banbury based, but happy to travel a reasonable distance if someone could help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian6984 View Post
you can get SRP from halfords or local car shops if your near to any. Ive only used chipex on a deep mark and it had little success, maybe better on finer marks but cant really comment. You'd probably want some paint thickness readings taking before getting more aggressive on it. If that didnt work could maybe get away with getting some correct paint and slowly filling the mark and then wet sanding followed by a polish to remove the haze but depends on how bad it is and how you'd feel about doing it. If in doubt id seek someone experienced or a professional

Thanks, more or less my thoughts as well. Applying paint & wet sanding is a step outside my comfort zone I think.

Last edited by Andehh; 24-12-2017 at 12:39 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Andehh For This Useful Post:
Christian6984 (24-12-2017)
Old 29-12-2017, 08:21 AM   #8
Andehh
Unwashed Member

I have ordered the chipex kit, as the instructions seem reasonable enough. Frustratingly, I think half the scratch is too light to fill with chipex, but will give it a go and report back. Might help others in a similar situation!

Before I begin next week, if anyone has any tips or advice to improve the application of it, I'd be grateful!

Last edited by Andehh; 29-12-2017 at 08:23 AM.