Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Polish/Cleaners/Compounds/Glaze Discuss Polish/Cleaners/Compounds and Glaze here - Sponsored By g3pro

Old 27-12-2017, 11:45 AM   #1
walfice
Unwashed Member

Garage
Glare polish

I am thinking of trying glare spider and micro finish on my 2011 red lexus ct. I havenít had the car long and The paint is not in bad condition, just light swirls and marring caused over time. As I donít know the history of any previous paint correction on the car and donít have a pdg I thought this would be a safer option. I have a few questions though, are the products really permanent or do they wash away like glazes etc if I wiped down with ipa/panel prep? Can a ceramic coating be applied on top of it? Which type of pad would be best for applying the spider and micro polish?
walfice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
stangalang
king of the flexonian

Thanked 9,774 Times in 4,748 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfice View Post
I am thinking of trying glare spider and micro finish on my 2011 red lexus ct. I havenít had the car long and The paint is not in bad condition, just light swirls and marring caused over time. As I donít know the history of any previous paint correction on the car and donít have a pdg I thought this would be a safer option. I have a few questions though, are the products really permanent or do they wash away like glazes etc if I wiped down with ipa/panel prep? Can a ceramic coating be applied on top of it? Which type of pad would be best for applying the spider and micro polish?
They are "permanent" in a way yes, but if you have swirled the car up previously you will add swirls to the glared paint also. It doesn't offer any swirl resistance in my opinion. It also doesn't bead brilliantly which we seem to put a lot of importance on here in the uk (I myself am not that bothered). If you don't use being as a marker of weather or not its still there then yes, it will last

Some coatings will go ontop from my experience, but I strongly suggest doing the glare routine, and waiting a week or so before you coat it. So apply, leave to cure, rewash the car so any residue is gone THEN coat
stangalang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stangalang For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (27-12-2017), savvyfox (28-12-2017), Spoony (27-12-2017), steelghost (28-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 05:17 PM   #3
dchapman88
Dw Reviewer

Garage
I am a big fan of Glare and the full proceedure from Knockout to Pro+

I have used it on soft Honda and Nissan paints before and had very nice results which I was very happy with

The sealant side of things is good but as said above the beading side of things is not great. You can wax on top but I'd follow Stangalangs advice above.
I'm sure he's done many many more cars than me with it.
I currently have the in2 ceramic wax on top of my Glared Juke, 2 months in and still beading strong

I couldn't recommend it highly enough, but if you do go for it I would suggest buying the set of 4 'polishes' and also some of sure shampoo as well as it helps to keep everything topped up.
dchapman88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dchapman88 For This Useful Post:
savvyfox (28-12-2017)
Old 27-12-2017, 07:35 PM   #4
walfice
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thanks for the replies. Can a polishing pad be used for all the polishes?
The Following User Says Thank You to walfice For This Useful Post:
savvyfox (28-12-2017)
Old 28-12-2017, 11:43 AM   #5
Shiny
DW Forum Sponsor

Thanked 2,905 Times in 1,811 Posts
Garage
I use Chemical Guys hexlogic green polishing pad for Micro, then Pro with CG Black and then Red finishing pads. You’ve not mentioned Pro, don’t forget the Pro to seal it all in .

As said, top off with a wax or spray sealant of your choice after the Glare has cured for a final bit of protection, bling and beading.

Shiny is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
savvyfox (28-12-2017)
Old 28-12-2017, 04:04 PM   #6
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,912 Posts
Garage
Glare is great stuff. I used a Scholl Purple Spider pad for all of this. I'd decontaminate the panel and wipe down with panel wipe before using Glare to ensure you get the best adhesion.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steelghost For This Useful Post:
savvyfox (28-12-2017)
Old 28-12-2017, 05:48 PM   #7
savvyfox
DW Sponsor (carChem)

If your car isn't too badly marred you could get away with just micro finish and professional plus to seal. This will give a deep glossy finish, use medium pad for micro and very soft for professional. You could then top with any wax you desire once it has cured. I use this combo on a daily basis as its so easy to get a good result. It's an extremely underrated product due to being a filler and slightly dodgy American packaging, give it a go and you won't be disappointed!
savvyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2017, 07:36 PM   #8
camerashy
'Detailing Devil'

Thanked 2,290 Times in 1,869 Posts
Garage
Savvyfox - how long would you recommend professional to cure please before applying a wax
camerashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2017, 01:02 PM   #9
walfice
Unwashed Member

Garage
Thanks for all the replies, think Iíll give it a go.
Old 29-12-2017, 02:06 PM   #10
steelghost
Detailing at Double Speed

Thanked 2,547 Times in 1,912 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by walfice View Post
Thanks for all the replies, think Iíll give it a go.
I think you'll like it, just remember you always need to apply Pro polish as a final step to "lock in" the preceding products.
steelghost is offline   Reply With Quote