Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Waxes, Sealants & Paint Protection Sponsored by DODO JUICE Light Fantastic , Banana Armour, Orange Crush, Rainforest Rub, Purple Haze - www.dodojuice.com

Old 18-02-2018, 06:34 AM   #1
tmitch45
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Ceramic v wax v sealants

When I joined detailing world years ago I loved spending a day or weekend cleaning our cars but fast forward 10 years and two kids and it feels like I barely have time to sit down and eat a meal let alone properly clean and wax our cars. Hopefully I'll be getting a newer car soon and want it to look good and be protected but with limited time I kind of just want to be able to hit it with the pressure washer and some shampoo and its done! My experiences with wax and sealants is they barely last 2-3 months certainly no more that 6 which brings me to ceramic coating which I've never really heard of. A quick google, youtube and search on here and I'm very confused. Does anyone on here have any first hand experience with ceramic coatings, is this what I'm looking for to keep a great finish with limited time? does it last for years like the claims, would you have it again? Is it expensive does it need yearly top ups?

Thanks for any help
tmitch45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:01 AM   #2
aslettd
PC Perfectionist

In a nutshell yes it sounds like what your looking for. Now let me say what is my belief. There's coatings that can last a year, and coatings that claim 9 years with a guarantee if applied by an accredited detailer. But, to achieve that guarantee, yearly inspections are made by the detailer. say if you had a bit of hedgerow rash on your wing for instance, the detailer would polish it and reapply the coating, or for example 2 years into it, the bottom half of the car was starting to fail, the detailer would reapply the coating. And this yearly inspection could cost you hundreds. And if you don't have these yearly inspections, your guarantee is void. Now I'm happy to be corrected on this, and there's top people on here from various companies that can do that. So the initial outlay of having the coating applied, depending on the condition of your paint and size of vehicle, could be around £700-£1200, ballpark figure, can be alot more. Add the yearly cost on top aswell. Just something to think about. And yes I would absolutely have a coating professionally applied to my car if I was in a position to do so, please don't take my belief as hating on them
aslettd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to aslettd For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
dave-

Yes it works well for people who don't really want to detail much, which does not make sense if they are into detailing. Oh yes they are not actually into detailing they just want their car to look nice without doing much. Sorry but I just think guys like you are on the wrong forum
dave- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2018, 07:25 PM   #4
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave- View Post
Yes it works well for people who don't really want to detail much, which does not make sense if they are into detailing. Oh yes they are not actually into detailing they just want their car to look nice without doing much. Sorry but I just think guys like you are on the wrong forum
If you read my post properly I am someone who likes a nice looking car but for work and family reasons no longer has the time to commit to this. I'm not the first to ask about ceramic coatings on here so maybe they should all leave the forum as well? Just because I don't have the time I once had to spend hours detailing a car doesn't give me any less right to be on a detailing forum.

Last edited by tmitch45; 18-02-2018 at 07:59 PM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tmitch45 For This Useful Post:
fatdazza (18-02-2018), LaugarShabz (22-02-2018), sevenfourate (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
Alan W
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 2,925 Times in 2,247 Posts
Garage
If you want to apply a ceramic coating yourself I can recommend CarPro Cqusrtz UK, Gtechniq C1 and Nanolex Si3D. These are but 3 in a crowded marketplace with prices ranging up to £100+ for DIY ceramic coatings. The 3 above will give you 12 months minimum protection and longer depending on your mileage and whether the car is garaged etc. They can be maintained with easy to apply sacrificial top coat that will extend protection even longer although this isn’t necessary.

Take your time to do some research on here because these coatings are not new and there are many, many Threads on here that will provide you with all the information you need to wise up on them and decide what will work best for you.

Alan W
Alan W is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Alan W For This Useful Post:
gally (18-02-2018), tmitch45 (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 08:19 PM   #6
cleslie

Garage
This may be of assistance:

cleslie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cleslie For This Useful Post:
tmitch45 (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 08:25 PM   #7
fatdazza

Thanked 1,739 Times in 1,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave- View Post
Wow,

Bit of a sanctimonious response IMHO. This chap has been a member on here for a lot longer than you, has posted more and has been thanked more.

Yet, because he asks about a ceramic coating, to keep his car looking better (due to family limiting his available time), you get on your high horse and tell him you think he is on the wrong forum.

Wow - so if I have a ceramic coating, on my car then I am not fit to grace the forum?
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fatdazza For This Useful Post:
cheekymonkey (19-02-2018), Danjc (19-02-2018), Phssll (21-02-2018), Rebel007 (28-03-2018), wanner69 (18-02-2018)
Old 18-02-2018, 08:26 PM   #8
tmitch45

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleslie View Post
Cheers I just found this myself doing research on YouTube looks very interesting and it seems the ceramic debate is a hot topic with lots of differing views and opinions. Thanks for the link anyway!
Old 18-02-2018, 09:33 PM   #9
pxr5

Garage
If you've been looking at Forensic Detail videos you may have seen this one. If not, it';s a good watch laying out the negatives of ceramic coatings:

pxr5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2018, 12:29 PM   #10
euge07

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxr5 View Post
If you've been looking at Forensic Detail videos you may have seen this one. If not, it';s a good watch laying out the negatives of ceramic coatings:

Ceramic Coatings - Hype or Hot? - Ceramic Coating Negatives - YouTube
this video sums up my views on the ceramic coatings as well, they still pick up swirls and they rely on their top up sprays- it ends up very expensive

On my own cars I prefer ceramic coatings for the wheels and the bodywork I prefer a durable wax/sealant that is easy applied and easy to re do every 3-4 months
euge07 is offline   Reply With Quote