Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Gallery > The Showroom > Projects and Restorations
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Projects and Restorations Building a car from scratch, restoring your pride and joy, building a track car, or starting a long term project? This is your place to document it.

Old 17-02-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Rayaan
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 1,096 Times in 853 Posts
08' MK5 Golf 1.4 TSI Match - the rare one (but not the cool one!)

So I thought I would start a thread about a car I bought for uni and various placements across the North. Planning on keeping this one a while unlike the previous Polo which was sold after only 1 year! I just haven't had the chance of posting this up, so some of this is in retrospect but bare with me whilst I catch up

Anyways, this car was bought in April 2017, nearly a year ago from a trader who was using it as his personal car. It had 63K on the clock, full independent service history with the odd dealer history.

A few interesting things about this car - apparently its quite rare having a 1.4 TSI (122hp) engine on a MK5 Golf - these were in huge demand in Europe and there was a shortage so very few actually got to the UK in MK5 form. Additionally, this car seems to have migrated from Scotland! No idea how it got to West Yorkshire, but I presume through an auction or something! This one has also had a K&N air filter fitted, a subtle dump valve and limo tints.

As with most second hand cars, particularly of this age, there were some things that needed sorting out. Cosmetically, the car was great for its age, there is some evidence of some panels receiving paint, but not unexpected for this age of vehicle.

First things first then - I wanted to fit a dashcam for piece of mind. I went for the Spytec A119-C after reading various reviews:

Onto the wiring at first - piggyback on the ABS fuse (no2 from memory)

Fitted the dashcam - wasn't too pleased to be honest as it was too obvious from the outside. So had another shot:

Much better I think! Initially had problems with the dashcam and the microSD card kept getting corrupt. Turned out to be a fake Samsung microSD card! Bought another one and all problems gone!

Last edited by Rayaan; 10-10-2018 at 11:30 PM.
Rayaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Rayaan

Another day and the white nut covers were bothering me. I didn't take a close up but they can be seen on the first picture slightly

Essentially - they were like this:

Not very good looking at all.

So bought some weather proof plastic paint in Gloss black, sanded down the originals and finally gave 3 coats in a day and left to dry

And then fitted:

Old 17-02-2018, 12:40 PM   #3
Rayaan

Another little thing - I didnt actually noticed this at the time the vehicle was bought and I was particularly annoyed with it

Sorry about the pic, didn't realise I had put my finger in it, quite literally.

Unlike the more basic spec Golf's - the Match spec came with Cruise control, multifunction display, leather steering wheel and a leather handbrake lever

Off I hopped on the bay of E's and managed to get a whole handbrake mechanism, along with the leather cover from a MK5 Golf GTI for a penny under £12 posted

Then I went swapping the covers around -

The best bit - managed to sell the handbrake mechanism for a tenner on eBay so basically only paid £3-4 for the leather cover.

Last edited by Rayaan; 10-10-2018 at 11:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rayaan For This Useful Post:
Cookies (17-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 01:21 PM   #4
Rayaan

Something else that bothered me was the huge amount of wind noise at motorway speeds that the drivers side door was producing. I wasn't particularly sure where it was coming from but after a careful inspection - it appeared that the drivers side door had no window seal on the inside.

The door panel must have been removed at some point and someone forgot to put the window seal back.

So off on ebay to grab one -

£9.38 this was - was fairly local so collected it.

And got some Torx bits whilst I was at it because I didn't have any and needed to pop the door panel open.

No more gap between the door panel and the window. Before I could see all the wiring down there.

Fairly easy job as it just pushes into place and no more wind noise at high speed! Result!

Last edited by Rayaan; 10-10-2018 at 11:32 PM.
Cookies (17-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #5
Rayaan

Few more things that needed sorting out back in November 2017 -

1) The car didn't come with a handbook or any manuals, just the service books and receipt. So I bought a used set in excellent condition from the bay for £15.

Im a bit picky about handbooks and prefer to put all the car's history etc inside so I just had to have one!

Not the best pictures but you get the idea:

Also, one of the bulbs went. It was a standard Philips Longlife H7 bulb but decided to upgrade to Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited which I got from a registered Osram seller (there are loads of fakes about!!)

You can see the classic blue tinge to them below:

Gave it a quick wash after and noticed these bad boys:

Yep you've guess it - dreaded bird poo etching. Its been in Scarborough recently and the seagulls have been offloading more than usual this year. I used hot water on it and an MF on the same day but the seeds had left a few light scratches in the paint when wiping off.

Anyways, out with the hairdryer first which removed most of it. And finally a bit of a polish with Autosmart Mirror Image by hand :

Tip with the hairdryer - only seems to work if you do it within 1-2 weeks of the bird poo landing on the paint. Otherwise, doesn't work as well.

Last edited by Rayaan; 10-10-2018 at 11:33 PM.
Old 17-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #6
Rayaan

End of January comes and its MOT time. Passed with 1 advisory which was also present last year - rear brake discs had rusted and there was a significant 1-2cm lip around the disc.

So got it booked in with my local independent for a Full service and the rear brake pads and discs changing when the surprises came. The vehicle had fake Spark plugs which had almost melted - he pulled one out and showed me, was shocked. The electrode had almost separated from the housing. TBH I wouldnt have been able to tell that it was actually a spark plug, that's how bad it was.

Atleast the brakes are now nice, shiny and silver rather than brown!

All OEM parts used from TPS

Last edited by Rayaan; 17-02-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Old 17-02-2018, 03:22 PM   #7
Rayaan

And finally - all caught up!

Job for today was to top up coolant. Seems to be losing coolant from somewhere but not at a drastic rate and no leaks either. Will keep an eye on it but I suspect the water pump may be on its way out

Also had a delivery from ECP today after their 50% off wipers earlier on in the week

Went for Bosch on the front as I have had great experiences with the Aerotwin wiper blades on the Lexus and on other vehicles. I'll fit these as soon as the car has been washed.

Never tried Valeo wipers before but thought it should do for the rear. From the outset though, its evident that the Bosch wiper blades are much better quality in comparison to the valeo one. TBH it feels a bit flimsy. Ah well will just get rid of it if its split after a few months

Last edited by Rayaan; 10-10-2018 at 11:34 PM.
Old 17-02-2018, 03:27 PM   #8
Rayaan

Think the car may need a wash - it must have been atleast 3 months!

The rear wheels looks particularly bad from the rusted brake discs but hopefully they wont be pitted as they were sealed back in November.

Apologies for the pics - appears my phone camera has got some orange fluid in it!

Might need a good vac too

JoeyTaffy93 (17-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 08:41 PM   #9
Del-GTi
PC Perfectionist

Nice car. Some great work you've done there. Keep it up. ECP is great for cheap parts.

Are you happy with the dash cam?

How do you find the Nightbreakers? I've heard they can have a short life.

Last edited by Del-GTi; 17-02-2018 at 08:45 PM.
Del-GTi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Del-GTi For This Useful Post:
Rayaan (17-02-2018)
Old 17-02-2018, 11:46 PM   #10
Rayaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del-GTi View Post
Nice car. Some great work you've done there. Keep it up. ECP is great for cheap parts.

Are you happy with the dash cam?

How do you find the Nightbreakers? I've heard they can have a short life.
Very happy with the dash cam. No issues with it at all and it just works. Footage quality is good too and full hd of course. The button can be a bit of a pain as its tiny but for the price it's great.

The nightbreakers are great. The beam length is fantastic, much better than the Philips longlife standard bulbs. Only issue really is that the car does get flashed alot even though alignment of the headlights is correct. Had them on for a few months and they're definitely worth the money. These were the unlimited not the laser which I think only have 8 months or so lifespan

On a side note, opened my phone up and turned out some glue had melted in the camera housing and leaked. All cleaned so pics won't have that orange blur anymore!

Are the pic sizes ok or too big? Let me know and I'll make them smaller if need be

Last edited by Rayaan; 17-02-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Del-GTi (18-02-2018)