Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by ValetPRO - ValetPRO was founded in 2005. We are a UK based company and manufacture our products from ValetPRO HQ in Newhaven, East Sussex. Our vision at ValetPRO is to produce the highest quality car care products and to be the trusted brand of choice for retailers, professional detailers and car care enthusiasts everywhere. We value creativity and are constantly looking for new ways to improve our existing products or develop new ones. We are on hand to provide expert advice on our products and we are always happy to hear about your experience from using any of the ValetPRO range and receiving any feedback that you may have.

Old 21-02-2018, 01:39 PM   #21
stealthwolf
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

I've never used a washmitt or buckets on wheels. If just a simple clean, then snowfoam and rinse is enough. Sometimes I break out the wheel brushes and clean them. Even when I need to decontaminate the wheels, I still resort to brushes for cleaning and agitation of product. If the wheels need drying, I'll use MF towels and same for buffing off LSP.
stealthwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 01:50 PM   #22
wish wash

My coated wheels are 90% clean just after a pressure wash. I have one bucket filled with shampoo, incredibrush and wheel mitt. I do the same method as Matt at obsessed garage, rinse what ever tool I'm using with the pressure wash before it goes back into the bucket.
wish wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 02:53 AM   #23
Mcpx

For the same reason you use brushes on wheel that you wouldn’t dream of touching your paint with, wheels coatings are harder than paint, and get dirtier too.

Actual technique depends on the wheels and what’s on them, gloss black take more care, standard silver powder coat not a problem, ceramic coated wheels shouldn’t end any more than norma” bodywork shampoo. On my own standard alloys I tfr with the rest of the car then pw off, check for any tar spots and treat then snow foam and pw again, if done regularly that’s usually enough. If they are particularly dirty and I have to break out the brushes then I’ll use one bucket with wheel soap (AF Revolution) and do them whilst the snow foam is dwelling on the rest of the car. After each wheel I’ll rinse both it and the brush at the same time, keeping the wash water clean.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 06:24 AM   #24
huxley309
Washmitt Meister

Just one one for me, I use tfr with fallout remover or alloy cleaner, then wash with bodywork shampoo. All topped off with qd, out polish if necessary.

Never had a problem after that lot.
huxley309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:44 AM   #25
FJ1000
Washmitt Meister

Why only one bucket for wheels?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBRuss View Post
I had that on a previous car, but still used to clean my wheels properly as well. Not everything gets removed by the jet wash. Much the same as when you have a coating on the bodywork - you still need more than just a jet wash to get rid of all the dirt.

I think car manufacturers need to make more 5 spoke wheels though - the less intricate, the better!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Unless it’s been a long time since a wash - yes the jet wash does remove everything!

If it has been a while though, i give the wheels a quick blast of snowfoam and agitate with a brush - using a single bucket with water and shampoo for the brush. Rarely need to though. The C5 really is that good! Thinking back, I think those multispoke speedlines had 2 coats of the stuff - one from me, and another when KDS detailed the car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by FJ1000; 22-02-2018 at 09:46 AM.
FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:13 AM   #26
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJ1000 View Post
Unless it’s been a long time since a wash - yes the jet wash does remove everything!

If it has been a while though, i give the wheels a quick blast of snowfoam and agitate with a brush - using a single bucket with water and shampoo for the brush. Rarely need to though. The C5 really is that good! Thinking back, I think those multispoke speedlines had 2 coats of the stuff - one from me, and another when KDS detailed the car.

How often do you ash the car then? I always found that a decent amount of dirt remained. Especially around the backs of the spokes where the most brake dust accumulates. And I applied two layers of coating back there too.

My current car just has Poorboy's wheel sealant on the faces because I can't be bothered to remove the wheels and apply a sealant.

MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 11:45 AM   #27
Forsh

Garage
Quote:
I think car manufacturers need to make more 5 spoke wheels though - the less intricate, the better!
5 spokes is overkill!

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Forsh For This Useful Post:
MBRuss (22-02-2018)
Old 22-02-2018, 11:49 AM   #28
MBRuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsh View Post
5 spokes is overkill!

I'd go for a one spoke of they did it. No need to remove the wheels to apply a sealant then!

MBRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 07:29 PM   #29
FJ1000
Washmitt Meister

Quote:
How often do you ash the car then? I always found that a decent amount of dirt remained. Especially around the backs of the spokes where the most brake dust accumulates. And I applied two layers of coating back there too.

My current car just has Poorboy's wheel sealant on the faces because I can't be bothered to remove the wheels and apply a sealant.

Not that often - a month can go by between washes in winter.

Perhaps it makes a difference that the gtechniq was applied either when the wheels were brand new (current wheels), or straight after a refurb (the speedlines pictured).

Either way - saves me a lot of hassle!

FJ1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 10:05 PM   #30
dazzlers82

Garage
4bm for me and i makes sure pressure washed off before I touch them
dazzlers82 is online now   Reply With Quote