Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Wheels, Tyres & Exterior Trim Sponsored by ValetPRO - ValetPRO was founded in 2005. We are a UK based company and manufacture our products from ValetPRO HQ in Newhaven, East Sussex. Our vision at ValetPRO is to produce the highest quality car care products and to be the trusted brand of choice for retailers, professional detailers and car care enthusiasts everywhere. We value creativity and are constantly looking for new ways to improve our existing products or develop new ones. We are on hand to provide expert advice on our products and we are always happy to hear about your experience from using any of the ValetPRO range and receiving any feedback that you may have.

Old 27-02-2018, 06:21 PM   #1
monkfishh
Sponge Jockey

CarPlan Trade Wheel Cleaner

Hi all,

I was just wondering if any of you had experience with this stuff:

http://www.halfords.com/motoring/car...eel-cleaner-5l

I was looking at it purely because you get so much for a decent price, and I need to do a wheels off cleaning job on a car that is nearly 14 years old and probably not had a wheels off clean before!

Any feedback would be appreciated. I have tried some Bilberry, which is excellent for my normal maintenance washes, but not so good at removing the real hard stuff.

Thanks in advance!
monkfishh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 06:43 PM   #2
Radish293
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
CarPlan Trade Wheel Cleaner

Canít comment of itís effectiveness but I picked up some Auto Finesse imperial on CP4L recently for £17 itís now £24 on ECP. Based on itís dilution rates itís better value for money.

Last edited by Radish293; 27-02-2018 at 06:46 PM.
Radish293 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Radish293 For This Useful Post:
monkfishh (27-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 09:24 PM   #3
Mcpx

Like the rest of the Carplan Trade Valet stuff, this is the same stuff as the Demon equivalent, so this is Demon Wheels, High Wax Rinse is Demon Shine etc. Only difference is that this is £12 for 5 litres while the Demon Wheels is £7 for just 1 litre.

It works very well on neglected wheels, but that’s because it is highly acidic, so good on wheel crud, not so good on the wheels themselves. For very occasional use it’s fine but if the wheels have any significant damage I would avoid it and stick to elbow grease. I decant it into a spray bottle, spray on and leave to dwell until I get back to the first wheel then brush it in and rinse off immediately, make sure you rinse thoroughly and if you are spraying it, wear eye protection.

If you only have 1 or 2 cars to look after then you might not get to use this very often so it could end up being a waste of money even though it is very good value per ml, if you don’t mind leaving it on the shelf most of the time then it does come in handy in an emergency.
Mcpx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mcpx For This Useful Post:
monkfishh (28-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 09:38 PM   #4
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radish293 View Post
Canít comment of itís effectiveness but I picked up some Auto Finesse imperial on CP4L recently for £17 itís now £24 on ECP. Based on itís dilution rates itís better value for money.
Imperial is a non-acidic cleaner so much safer to use and kinder to the wheels, but might require more agitation and repeated application to get the same result as an acid based cleaner. Personally I use the AF Revolution wheel soap on a regular basis, prevention is better than cure, but I keep the Carplan on standby for every time someone comes and says ĎI just canít get this stuff off my wheelsí.
monkfishh (28-02-2018)
Old 27-02-2018, 09:44 PM   #5
fatdazza

Thanked 1,774 Times in 1,273 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcpx View Post
Imperial is a non-acidic cleaner so much safer to use and kinder to the wheels, but might require more agitation and repeated application to get the same result as an acid based cleaner. Personally I use the AF Revolution wheel soap on a regular basis, prevention is better than cure, but I keep the Carplan on standby for every time someone comes and says ĎI just canít get this stuff off my wheelsí.
Imperial may not be acidic, but is an alkaline wheel cleaner.

Strong alkalis can be just as damaging as strong acids.

Don't fall into the "acid Free" marketing .
fatdazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2018, 10:53 PM   #6
Mcpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post

Never looked at Imperial in that much detail tbh but you are quite right. I know the Revolution I use is PH neutral.

Look at it this way, any wheel cleaner that is strong enough to cut through baked on brake dust with little to no physical agitation is not going to be kind to any bare metal surface. Think of your generic wheel crunge as a disease, if you neglect it for too long it will require surgery with a high ph cleaner being the scalpel. Regular maintenance, little and often, with a less aggressive treatment is much easier and far less risky, so a ph neutral cleaner used frequently is your apple a day. Of course you can go one step further and get private health insurance in the form of a wheel ceramic and then not have to worry about the disease for a year or two.
monkfishh (28-02-2018)
Old 28-02-2018, 08:51 AM   #7
monkfishh
Sponge Jockey

Thanks for your replies, it looks like it may be what I need for that 'once in a blue moon' kind of thing. It won't be used often but I know the wheels are bad. If this does not work, then I think the wheels will require a full on refurb!

Thanks again for your responses.
monkfishh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:35 PM   #8
Harry_p

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdazza View Post

Strong alkalis can actually be worse for the acrylic based lacquer on most wheels than acids. Plus acids are more effective as they dissolve the fine layer of rust surrounding the particles embedded in the lacquer so it comes free. Much like a dedicated fallout removed does.

For really neglected wheels you're better off doing a couple of bits of an acid based cleaner than multiple hits with an alkaline cleaner plus agitation.
Harry_p is offline   Reply With Quote