Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here.

Old 06-03-2018, 06:51 AM   #1
seanypeeps
Sponge Jockey

To sand or not to sand, that is the question?

Hi guys been a weekend warrior for many years but recently picked up a new car (well new to me) and just debating what to have done by a pro. It's a 6 month old merc AMG a45 in cosmos black. Been debating with my local detailer what it needs. On one hand the paint is decent with usual light swirls but no signs of serious or deep scratches so a machine polish would bring it up lovely. On the other hand the paint is like all other new paint jobs and orange peel on rear 3/4 is letting the side down and ideally would need a sand. So deliberation, we went around the car together with the PTG and bonnet is high 80s, doors and rear 3/4 closer to the 100 mark. So do i live with the orange peel and leave a little wiggle room for correction down the line or do I go for the sand now? The detailer isn't pushing me either way as he can see my deliberation. Protection wise it will be having Kamikaze on it. Not sure yet which, either ism pro over myabi or go the whole hog with enrei (price depending). All views and second opinions will be appreciated. Cheers guys and gals.
seanypeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 06:53 AM   #2
muzzer

Thanked 4,393 Times in 2,800 Posts
Garage
If it’s a daily driver i wouldn’t bother chasing perfection, it will only end up needing to be corrected again at some point. If it was my money, i’d get rid of the swirls and leave the peel but then i can live with the peel.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:11 AM   #3
Danjc
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
I’m with Muzzer on this as it’s a daily. Maybe the wet sand money you could put towards ppf on the front end then your coating of choice.
Danjc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Danjc For This Useful Post:
seanypeeps (06-03-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 07:53 AM   #4
great gonzo
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 3,234 Times in 2,399 Posts
See I’d go with the wet sand, give it that perfect start or you will never be happy.

Gonz.
great gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to great gonzo For This Useful Post:
seanypeeps (06-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 09:54 AM   #5
Starbuck88
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Thanked 2,179 Times in 1,506 Posts
Garage
Its personal preference at the end of the day and your money.

Myself....Machine Polish and leave it. Maybe in a year or 2 when it needs correcting again, then wet sand so that you have it back to better than new, would be more impressive IMO.
Starbuck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Starbuck88 For This Useful Post:
seanypeeps (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:01 PM   #6
chongo
"Professor"

Thanked 4,700 Times in 2,856 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjc View Post
I’m with Muzzer on this as it’s a daily. Maybe the wet sand money you could put towards ppf on the front end then your coating of choice.
This is what I wished I'd done when I first bought my A45 AMG
Got the front bumper and bonnet PPF applied. These cars are very prone to stone chipping (fast lane) so if you go down the route of removing orange peel or texture levelling then being black this will make looking after your car a nightmare it will show up every single defect even worst because it's flat paint.

PPF will help protect your paint from normal washing marks and scratches and road debri, plus if you pick the right company like LLUMAR PPF it is seamless and super glossie plus a 10 year guarantee
chongo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chongo For This Useful Post:
Danjc (08-03-2018), seanypeeps (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 12:34 PM   #7
NMH
Orbital Oracle

Garage
Same with my e class Merc. Peel is horrific. I'm thinking of wetsanding this too. It's a daily and the one thing to consider is any defects being more prominent once the peel is reduced. I'm.wodering whether denim pads are an alternative instead.
NMH is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NMH For This Useful Post:
seanypeeps (07-03-2018)
Old 07-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #8
seanypeeps
Sponge Jockey

Thanks everyone. Yes it is a daily driver but as I live on a small island it's not going to see too many miles but will be taken to france every month or so for a blast so stone chips and things like road grime aren't my biggest fear. But as a lot of you have said, polish now and leave some in the bank for correction again down the line which is the side of the fence I was on but needed some reassurance. Thanks for all the opinions and views, I'll post up some pics when she gets the treament.
seanypeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2018, 10:03 PM   #9
suspal
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 4,065 Times in 3,294 Posts
I wouldn't as it'll have their ceramic paint once that's removed then it's gone and you'll be pulling your hair out, and regret you sanded the car.
I've lost count how many vehicles I've wet or dry sanded over the years and I still don't get why people want to sand a daily driver.
I get a newly sprayed vehicle that's had a custom spray job or a garage queen that's only let out during an Indian summer, but not a daily driver.
Anyway if you did have the car sanded I'd not have the car coated in any way or form because you need the paint to heal as drop back can occur, in that event the vehicle would require a going over again with a finishing polish.
Hope the above helps.
suspal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to suspal For This Useful Post:
seanypeeps (26-04-2018)