Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > General > Detailing Chat
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Detailing Chat Got a detailing related question that doesn't fit in any other section? Post it in here. Sponsored by CleanYourCar

Old 08-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #1
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Fairly new to detailing - A little advice please

Hi All,

In the past with all my cars I've generally just done the following process, all by hand, on my dark cars:

1)Wash
2) Clay Mitt
3) SRP
4) Poorboys Black Hole
5) FK1000P

I've recently inherited a decent DA Polisher and last week bought a 2014 F30 330D in black. The paintwork on the whole isn't too bad, but there are sections where the paint has gone kind of milky.

I was looking into the CarPro Essence and Carpro CQuartz as my next line of products. Apart from a wash and decon, is there anything else that needs to be applied before the CarPro Essence? Can I use some SRP first or would this be a waste of time?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
baz3385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 01:12 PM   #2
muzzer

Thanked 4,547 Times in 2,919 Posts
Garage
SRP has fillers in it so it will mask any defects rather than remove them.
Old 08-03-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzer View Post
SRP has fillers in it so it will mask any defects rather than remove them.
Ok, understood. I was looking to replace my whole regime and just use the following:

1) Wash
2) Clay Mitt
3) CarPro Essence
4) CarPro Quartz C

Does that sound like an ok plan or do I need to use something before applying Essence?
Old 08-03-2018, 01:29 PM   #4
deez
Sponge Jockey

I wouldn’t recommend going down the coating route if you’re new to detailing, stick to a traditional wax or a sealant. Over time you’ll get experienced and gain confidence and that’s the time to apply your first coating.

Essence is applied before CQuartz, and CarPro recommend 3 hours after buffing off Essence before you move onto the coating.

If you are applying CQuartz then you will not need to use Auto Glym SRP or the Poorboys Black Hole – these will stop your CQuartz from bonding properly to the surface.

Before using your clay mitt, use some Iron & Fallout Remover, and also some Tar & Glue Remover, this way of doing chemical decontamination before mechanical decontamination (clay) will make the overall process more effective and easier.

Check out Forensic Detailing Channel on YouTube, he has done some videos recently about Coatings, everything from understanding them, applying them and the after care required.
deez is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deez For This Useful Post:
DimitriUK (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:28 PM   #5
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deez View Post
I wouldn’t recommend going down the coating route if you’re new to detailing, stick to a traditional wax or a sealant. Over time you’ll get experienced and gain confidence and that’s the time to apply your first coating.

Essence is applied before CQuartz, and CarPro recommend 3 hours after buffing off Essence before you move onto the coating.

If you are applying CQuartz then you will not need to use Auto Glym SRP or the Poorboys Black Hole – these will stop your CQuartz from bonding properly to the surface.

Before using your clay mitt, use some Iron & Fallout Remover, and also some Tar & Glue Remover, this way of doing chemical decontamination before mechanical decontamination (clay) will make the overall process more effective and easier.

Check out Forensic Detailing Channel on YouTube, he has done some videos recently about Coatings, everything from understanding them, applying them and the after care required.
Thanks for the detailed reply mate, it is much appreciated. is there a big risk of messing this up if I do use the Carpro Essence/CQuartz? I have used a lot of products on my cars in the past, but have always done so by hand and never with a DA.

I may just revert to my old regime, but use the DA instead.
Old 08-03-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
AndyN01
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Welcome along.

Machine polishing is definitely the way to go, it's a definite step up from working by hand.

This may be teaching granny to suck eggs but have a good look at the videos and do some reading around the use of a DA.

This is great place to start.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=17

My philosophy is to Keep It Simple.

Take one step at a time.

And talking of time - it takes as long as it takes. Better to have a couple of beautiful panels than a whole car that needs loads more work, much of it correcting the "mistakes" due to rushing.

I'd agree that staring with a well tried and tested "normal" compound/polish would be a sensible way to get comfortable with the DA, how it handles and what results you can achieve.

Beware of buying vast amounts of stuff. You'll end up out of pocket and lost in the variable combinations. Buy just a few things. Use, learn and then decide what you'd like to "improve" and use the resources and skills here to help with the next purchases (more stuff will come......detailing is addictive ).

Remember that the awesome, stunning and truly magnificent results you often see on here come from vastly experienced hands. Those hands started where you are now and learnt their craft. So can you.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your first steps.

Good luck.

Andy.
AndyN01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyN01 For This Useful Post:
steelghost (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
baz3385
Unwashed Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyN01 View Post
Welcome along.

Machine polishing is definitely the way to go, it's a definite step up from working by hand.

This may be teaching granny to suck eggs but have a good look at the videos and do some reading around the use of a DA.

This is great place to start.

http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/foru...splay.php?f=17

My philosophy is to Keep It Simple.

Take one step at a time.

And talking of time - it takes as long as it takes. Better to have a couple of beautiful panels than a whole car that needs loads more work, much of it correcting the "mistakes" due to rushing.

I'd agree that staring with a well tried and tested "normal" compound/polish would be a sensible way to get comfortable with the DA, how it handles and what results you can achieve.

Beware of buying vast amounts of stuff. You'll end up out of pocket and lost in the variable combinations. Buy just a few things. Use, learn and then decide what you'd like to "improve" and use the resources and skills here to help with the next purchases (more stuff will come......detailing is addictive ).

Remember that the awesome, stunning and truly magnificent results you often see on here come from vastly experienced hands. Those hands started where you are now and learnt their craft. So can you.

Looking forward to seeing the results of your first steps.

Good luck.

Andy.
Thanks for that Andy, much appreciated :-)

I think I'll take your advice and start off simple. The paint isn't too bad...it's a 4 year old car after all. Parts of the paint in small places has gone milky though and there are some light swirls.

What would be your recommended method/products for a black car for a beginner like me and what pads would you use?
The Following User Says Thank You to baz3385 For This Useful Post:
AndyN01 (08-03-2018)
Old 08-03-2018, 03:34 PM   #8
deez
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz3385 View Post
Thanks for the detailed reply mate, it is much appreciated. is there a big risk of messing this up if I do use the Carpro Essence/CQuartz? I have used a lot of products on my cars in the past, but have always done so by hand and never with a DA.

I may just revert to my old regime, but use the DA instead.

The biggest risk with coatings is leaving them too long to cure.

The cure time is greatly affected by ambient temperature, panel temperature, humidity, basically all environmental conditions around you.

If it's not applied / removed correctly then you will need to machine polish it off with a compound, then get that panel back to the standard you want, then all the usual steps before application.
deez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #9
muzzer

Garage
If you like Autoglym products, they do do an all purpose polish, i forget the name, but having seen it in use you can really give the polisher some weight without causing damage. I think the kit comes with pads too so it's really just a case of getting the car ready, then using this to polish, then remove the oils with a panel wipe of sorts before applying a decent wax of which there are numerous options.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:38 PM   #10
muzzer

Garage
Apparently not to the public they don't, ignore that sorry