Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Detailing Products > Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tools -Machine polishers, Pressure Washers, Detailing Equipment & Microfiber Sponsored by Detailed Clean : www.DetailedClean.co.uk – | Bilt Hamber | Dodo Juice | Nanolex | Sonus | Wolfs Chemicals + More | Loyalty Scheme Discounts |

Old 09-03-2018, 04:37 PM   #1
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Attempt myself or let a pro do it?

Hi all,

I have an '07 Milano Red Civic Type R that's covered in swirls and to my frustration, around 10 scratches.

I'd like the swirls to be removed and the scratches to be minimised.

Considering the factors; 10 years old, soft paint, etc, I'm trying to decide if I should spend £500 odd and let a pro cut and finish it, so that I know it won't be messed up/made worse, or attempt it myself and learn a new skill.

Around how much would it cost me for a DAS-6 Pro and all the backing plates, pads, compounds, polishes, lighting, etc?

Would I be able to do the whole car with this? I've watched a lot of WhiteDetails and AMMO NYC videos on YouTube, and see them sometimes using IBRID's for the bits a 5" pad can't do e.g. panel edges/lines.

I already have everything I need to maintain the car, would I be looking at around £200 for the DAS-6 and the other bits? Plus a lot of time and patience, obviously!

Cheers.
Chris.91 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chris.91 For This Useful Post:
TonyH38 (10-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 05:30 PM   #2
\Rian
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Garage
£500

£500 seams a lot for a 2stage paint correction.

Have you shopped around and gather quotes ?

Your probably looking at 2 days if you do it yourself, once you get stuck in you'll probaly enjoy it
\Rian is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to \Rian For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 07:27 PM   #3
big dave 666
Washmitt Meister

It's not just a case of buying a machine and jumping straight in correcting the paintwork. Firstly you would need to wash and decontamination the paint, with fallout remover, tar remover and clay for example, so that you have clean paint to work with. I would say round my neck of the woods £500 would be the going rate, if I were doing it I'd allow probably three days to complete which would include the correction, machine polish, couple of coats of glaze and lsp. But it also boils down to how confident you would feel doing it yourself????? If you don't, then ld say bite the bullet get some quotes from reputable companies and let them do it.
big dave 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to big dave 666 For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rian View Post
£500 seams a lot for a 2stage paint correction.

Have you shopped around and gather quotes ?

Your probably looking at 2 days if you do it yourself, once you get stuck in you'll probaly enjoy it
That's from two quotes from detailers up North, both said 3/4 days.

I think I would enjoy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by big dave 666 View Post
It's not just a case of buying a machine and jumping straight in correcting the paintwork. Firstly you would need to wash and decontamination the paint, with fallout remover, tar remover and clay for example, so that you have clean paint to work with. I would say round my neck of the woods £500 would be the going rate, if I were doing it I'd allow probably three days to complete which would include the correction, machine polish, couple of coats of glaze and lsp. But it also boils down to how confident you would feel doing it yourself????? If you don't, then ld say bite the bullet get some quotes from reputable companies and let them do it.
Yeah, sorry, should have said I will be thoroughly de-contaminating it first.

I haven't used a machine polisher before, and it's been a while since I hand polished. I think I'd (hopefully) only struggle with patience, but I'll just have to take my time.

I've watched a single stage polish on YouTube by Forensic Detailing, where he uses Scholl S20 Black. Will look into what compound and refine products there are for a two-stage correction.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:03 PM   #5
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,221 Posts
There is quite a difference between watching Youtube videos and actually carrying out the process yourself.

You've already identified that the car more than likely has very soft clear coat which makes the finishing step(s) interesting...and as a complete novice with a machine polisher you may not have the answers you need to get to the end result.

Also...3-4 days? seriously?

cheers

Chris
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summit Detailing For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #6
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
I've done some correction and scratch removal on my 09 Civic Type S and 2010 EX Civic and the soft paint makes it a doddle to do by hand.

I did a thorough decontamination and then uses Megs 105/205 and some MF applicators and it came out great. The swirls and all but the deeper imperfections came out with the first pass of 205.

Doing an entire isn't going to happen in 10 minutes of course, but if you enjoy it and find it therapeutic like I do then it's worth whatever time you put into it.

I hear good things about the Scholl products and being diminishing compounds they're a little safer to use if you get a little overly enthusiastic. I think Scholl S40 is their equivalent finishing compound of M205. Their heavier compound might be S3 or perhaps S17 if you have deeper marks (and clear coat to spare as it'll come of FAST with anything with high cut)

Last edited by olliewills; 09-03-2018 at 08:16 PM.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:07 PM   #7
Chris.91
Sponge Jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summit Detailing View Post
There is quite a difference between watching Youtube videos and actually carrying out the process yourself.

You've already identified that the car more than likely has very soft clear coat which makes the finishing step(s) interesting...and as a complete novice with a machine polisher you may not have the answers you need to get to the end result.

Also...3-4 days? seriously?

cheers

Chris
Of course! Maybe I should get hold of a bonnet to practice on first if I do take it on. Or just leave it to a pro! It's funny, I've seen a lot of people say it's easy with a DA... but yeah I need to be careful with the clear coat.

Yeah, I was quoted 3 days and 1 day to cure. But that might have been with a sealant. I'm going with OCW now, instead.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:24 PM   #8
olliewills
Washmitt Meister

Garage
If you do decide to ever get a DA, there's a discount code for CYC which will get the machine cost to just under £100. I believe it's DAS6GROUPBUY or something like that. A search on here will probably find it easy enough.
olliewills is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to olliewills For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:29 PM   #9
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,636 Times in 1,221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.91 View Post
Yeah, I was quoted 3 days and 1 day to cure. But that might have been with a sealant. I'm going with OCW now, instead.
They obviously like their coffee breaks
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Summit Detailing For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018), leeandfay (09-03-2018)
Old 09-03-2018, 08:32 PM   #10
kingswood
Orbital Oracle

100% try yourself. worse case you have to pay for a pro to do it and you sell the das pro and bits, youd lose a ton tops.

best case, enjoy it, satisfaction youve done it yourself and can do it again and again on your new cars etc
kingswood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kingswood For This Useful Post:
Chris.91 (09-03-2018)