Detailing World Forum banner

Tornado Red Mk5 R32, comes with free holograms!

3K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  garycha 
#1 · (Edited)
Since the UK weather has been turd for weeks I viewed this car 3 times and picked it up the 4th time on an overcast day. From Evans Halshaw.

Three days later the sun is out and omg!

I'm normally a person who uses SRP and EGP and lives with light swirls and stuff, but starts with a good base (ie, your average car) and does 2BM.

I've never had a car that's been buggered up like this before so I'm completely new to it all. I'm not a picky person but this hologram issue is like vandalism to my paintwork.

I'd happily pay to have it fixed, but is this something I can do myself with a DA and appropriate mild products/multiple passes over the next few months? Spend some money on kit and learn?

Or is this best to put £350 aside and pay to have a pro get it right and then stick to what I usually do?

We had a brand new Fiesta ST a few years back and after 2yrs 2BM I was still very happy with minimal swirls, so I'm of the mind that if I pay for a really nice job I won't need it doing again... or is it something anyone can get good at with mild products and a DA?
I'll be honest I have more money than free time right now so maybe paying a pro is best...

I'm not after perfection, I'm happy enough with some swirls and stuff... but will fixing the holograms mean fixing everything? Or can the holograms be taken out quite easily vs general swirls?

Would a mobile detailer do this in a day? Or is it a job best done indoors?

Many thanks

Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Afternoon Dave, awesome car. I had a less than agreeable experience with EH when looking at an FN2 Type r earlier in the year. Hopefully yours was better. Get a DA mate. They pay for themselves after a few uses. I'm fairly proficient with one and I have 23 thumbs and fists of Butcher's best. P.s, I love Harrogate.

#3 ·
VW Golf Tornado Red is a great colour responds very well to the DA:

You could get a mobile detailer to spend a day on it, at mercy of weather...Cost from GBP299, depending on stages and extras sealants etc

Or diy. research, buy the kit, set aside time and get stuck in. It's not that hard if you learn process and take your time. You could even do it panel by panel, if you are time and outside constrained.

There's a million permutations of kit for the job, but I'd recommend the Meguirs dual action microfibre kit and a DAS pro kit. Nothing is fool proof but I managed it with zero base skills.

#4 ·
You sound like its really bad

Looking at the pic, that looks like a dead easy job. Something like M205 could probably sort that out with minimal effort

Holograms are still swirls, just in unusual planes so I dont think its any harder to get out than normal swirls are. Just needs a refining polish like M205

#5 ·
Thanks for the feedback.
I did some reading and pricing, and decided given my lack of time and other jobs I’d just pay someone else for now.
I can also hopefully watch them a bit and learn some tricks.

I found a local ish chap called ‘Defined Reflections’ who appears to do corrections fairly regularly. He said he’d spend about 1hr per panel or an 8hr day, but also said it’s likely I could do it diy if I’m methodical and take my time.

Sadly he doesn’t seem so active on here.

He’ll be coming Tuesday and have use of my fairly large garage.

I’ll post some 50:50 and method.

I’m sure you all know the score but it’s interesting to see the true damage and what works to get it out!

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.