Detailing World Forum banner

Homemade wax

47K views 151 replies 43 participants last post by  AtoDTEL 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I am trying to take a page out of Rubbish Boys and produce my own wax. I found a raw wax supplier near by and have most of the other ingredients at an art supply store. I have 200 grams of various waxes, and some organic coconut oil. Time to start experimenting

#3 ·
Cool! Best of luck ... let's hope you can get something stable to work. Maybe start with a higher ratio of beeswax to carnauba (say, 50/50 for the wax content) and a good squirt of coconut oil to keep it slick, flowing, not dry out too quickly and spread well ... refine the recipe if that's successful.

#7 ·
Well 'Rubbish Boys' came from his DW name, didn't it? I seem to remember him saying that he wished he'd picked a better name. If you have an intention, best start out with a name you want to use :thumb:
If it does turn out to be blatant advertising, the rules are simple - a free panel pot of the first commercial release to everyone who replies in this thread LOL

#14 ·
Best of luck with the experiments, mate! Nice to hear of someone having a go at making their own detailing products. Has been very well documented on here in the last year or so that it can be done and very sucessfully :thumb:

Keep the site posted on the developments :).

#23 ·
The first was hard as a rock, think I will use it as a hockey puck this winter. The second was very good, feels like a wax should. A lot more oil and solvent in it than I would have fist thought. I actually used the second attempt on the fender of my truck, smooth as glass, now we are getting somehwhere. I will continue once I receive my scale, but I have a very good idea of the formulation. more to come

Attachments

#24 ·
I would have thought it was impossible to produce a wax that can rival a cheap wax on the market in terms of both looks and durability. It looks like you are doing well however - thanks for keeping up updated.

It must be very satisfying appying your own wax and seeing it work - well done :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.