Detailing World Forum banner

Jimmeh vs Peugeot 106 GTi

12K views 44 replies 33 participants last post by  dubbers 
#1 · (Edited)
Jimmeh vs Peugeot 106 GTi (**Update: Interior report**)

Before my string of Audi's, the 106 GTi was the car I wanted. I test drove a couple, (previously owning the 106 XSi) but was never able to afford the insurance. Today, I have no regrets in the route I took.. Don't get me wrong, it's a lovely looking car (cyclones, lowered etc..) but it just didn't 'feel' right? Too small. Hard, clunky and not as nicer place to be as in the S3. :eek:

I took this booking at 11:30pm last night.. agreed to have the car dropped off at 9:30am the following morning; Deal. Three/Four weeks ago, I had to cancel on this car, the weather was against us and it just wasn't going to happen. Now although it was 'fine' today, it wasn't half a gruelling job. Damp/Cold/condensation and moisture was really getting to me. I had to pack up just shy of 4:30 too, dark beat me too it.

This won't be the most interesting report, it was a case of get the job done, pack up and get clean. Photo's are boring too! :(

Process
Inspection
Engine Bay
Shuts/sills
Wheels/Arches
Pre-wash/wash/rinse/dry
Clay
Re-wash/dry
Paint enhancement
Paint protection
Tyres/Windows/Details

Product
Megs: LastTouch : Wheel Brightener : All-Season Dressing : Super Degreaser
Sonus Green Clay
CG MaxiSuds II
Tardis
G101
LimePrime
AG EGP
Zaino Z8
Megs Endurance Gel
AS Super Sheen

Pictures

Upon inspection..

Seriously though... :(

Exhaust was caked.. Sills and shuts were greasy.. Interior, pretty shabby.. Engine bay was a bombsite.. Lifeless.

Probably the greasiest/slimiest car I've worked on.. This really needed two days to bring it back to it's best. Wheels off. More time on the engine bay. Full correction.. However, with our set itintery, I knew I was going to struggle.

Starting with the engine bay. Various selection of brushes, G101 and Super Degreaser.

Under-hood wet and doused in degreaser. Worked with brushes. (this was very, very greasy. With the cold, damp air, it was very difficult to remove. Probably a case for a steam-cleaner?)

Cleaned, awaiting dressing:

Shuts, sills and boot area looked at next.

*again, no during/after pictures.. I had a job to do!*

Wheels. Tyres scrubbed with Super degreaser. Inner rims worked with EZ Brush. Wheel facing cleaned with Megs WB and SV Detail Brush. (inners were very caked.. would require taking off to clean further)

A few hours has passed now already, not a great start to the day.

Snow-foam.

ValetPro, as you can see my tub defrosted nicely, thanks :):thumb:

Soaked, ready for the foam:

Petrol-cap (and housing) worked with G101 and brushes:

Five minutes after foam delivery:

At this point I went round the jams/badges/grilles/vents etc etc with additional g101 and a selection of brushes.

Gave the car a thorough rinse today, it really needed it. Ideally, I would of liked to have jacked the car to gain access to the arches. Unfortunately however, my trolley jack was never going to fit under them sills...

After snow-foam and two bucket method wash down..

Clay before:

and after:

Picked up a fair amount of rubbish!

Okay. It's now 'clean', so, let's inspect the paint. (Job spec was enhancement (pre-sale tidy up!))

The car was dull. It didn't reflect. It was covered in a grey mist and was in dire need of some polish.

Throughout the wash stages in the engine bay, I noticed a few blue areas on the nearside front inner-wing. Possible replacement panel, maybe? Later, I went on to find red patches on the bonnet. It was now obvious the car had had at least two replacement panels.. both of course receiving some kind of respray work..

Check this, the bonnet came in at ~240microns:

and the wing, heh:

Fair enough, I thought.

Onwards!

Today's selected weapon, the Kestrel Sim-180 Rotary, a yellow Megs Polishing pad and DoDo Juice's LimePrime.

Bonnet before:

Bonnet after:

Bonnet before:

Bonnet after:

50/50's:

Before:

After:

50/50 on passenger door:

Bonnet 50/50(ish):

I went on to give a coat of AG EGP (Extra Gloss Protection..) whilst the tailpipes, tyres and windows were hit, it then took a coat of Zaino Z8 to finish things off.

It's getting dark, I'm about to be beaten. Everything was against me now.. Water trapped in crevices from earlier stages decided to make an appearance (would of dried by now on any other day (making buffing a nightmare)), The windows were smeared, AS Shuper sheen DIDN'T want to buff off (again, condensation playing hell..) and generally, I wanted to give up.

I was hoping to get some decent shots for the owner as it's a pre-sale tidy up, he'd of used my images for the advert; no chance of that today I'm afraid. The interior, well, I didn't get chance to even hoover. Engine bay, I'd like to go over again, spend a little longer under there (it was very neglected). Windows need re-doing no doubt due to moisture difficulties. Wheels would benefit massively from being taken off the car. I could go on.. but I won't.

In all, not a very enjoyable day. Owner has *just* been to collect the car. It's sat outside looking pretty sorry for itself, condensed and frosted over. Bummer. Good to get back into the swing of things though.. Role on next weekend :):rolleyes:

Thanks for reading. Happy New Year.
Jim

See less See more
#19 ·
Thanks for all the comments people! A nice start to 2009..

LimePrime is KING. I contemplated going for AutoGlym's SRP, having previously taken some pretty awesome results from a job earlier this year

Great write up and nice pics Jim. My bro used to have a solid red GTi - cracking car.

I'll have to get in touch next time I do my own car, soft Honda paint could probably do with a little inspection from the Paint Detective:buffer: Thats if you wouldnt mind popping up the road and having a look for me?

I have a new car arriving at the weekend I wouldnt mind inspecting too - its solid black:argie:

I'll drop you a PM when I'm free mate.:thumb:
Yeah, do it. Shouldn't be a problem; let me know in plenty of time :thumb:. Cheers James.

great work mate!

looks 100% better, better than out the factory!
I doubt that, lol. Still several areas remain to look at. (*must get the wheels off it at somepoint....*)

great work as always mate although sounds like it was one your most enjoyable details but great work still. havent seen us on as.net mate.
It was a naaasty job; didn't really enjoy it at all. Next up, a Clio Trophy - fingers crossed I don't have a repeat performance. Audi-Sport, yeah, I'm there lurking in the background, honest! Haven't posted in a while mainly 'cause I've had nothing wrong with the S3 :lol:! I'll get up too date with it a bit later on.

Fantastic work. The engine bay looked very dirty! :thumb:
T'was mate, it was hanging! Just over an hour was spent under there.. but I barely made a mark on it. I'm seeing it again this weekend to start the interior etc.. maybe have another poke around in there, see what I can do.

ThankYouPlease! :thumb::thumb:

#8 ·
Great write up and nice pics Jim. My bro used to have a solid red GTi - cracking car.

I'll have to get in touch next time I do my own car, soft Honda paint could probably do with a little inspection from the Paint Detective:buffer: Thats if you wouldnt mind popping up the road and having a look for me?

I have a new car arriving at the weekend I wouldnt mind inspecting too - its solid black:argie:

I'll drop you a PM when I'm free mate.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.