PDA

View Full Version : Stop Smoke Oil Treatment

dominic84
07-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Does anyone know what might happen if you used too much 'stop smoke' oil treatment in a diesel engine?

I've put half a bottle in a mate’s car but I'm worried about putting more in just in case there is too much stop smoke and not enough oil? Is that possible?

Will stop smoke act as a lubricant on its own?

The product I'm using is 'Wynn's Stop Smoke'.

n_d_fox
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
never used anything like this, the Mondeo i have smokes like a chimney but so far i've been damned to buy anything to try and stop it. mind you, its a comany car so i'm not that fussed tbh.

i would have thought the bottle would have a recommended usage label or something.

Paul-T
07-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Well how much does the bottle tell you to put in? Most engines are going to be 4 litres + of oil. One thing you shouldn't do is exceed the total amount of liquid in the system i.e. the fluid level (whatever you've added) shouldn't come above the top mark on the dipstick.

I hate to say it, but if you don't know exactly what you're doing or adding to an engine before you start, you shouldn't be doing it.

dominic84
07-10-2008, 04:05 PM
Well how much does the bottle tell you to put in? Most engines are going to be 4 litres + of oil. One thing you shouldn't do is exceed the total amount of liquid in the system i.e. the fluid level (whatever you've added) shouldn't come above the top mark on the dipstick.

I hate to say it, but if you don't know exactly what you're doing or adding to an engine before you start, you shouldn't be doing it.

I should have said that of course I read the label which says it will treat 3-5 litres of oil and I’ve added roughly half the bottle based on how much oil I think is in there :thumb:

I just wanted to know if it is possible for the engine to OD on this stuff and whether or not it acts as lubricant in the same way as oil.

But to be honest just because I'm not an expert on oil treatments doesn't mean I don't know anything about cars so I don't see any need for the atitude?

PJS
07-10-2008, 04:11 PM
Does anyone know what might happen if you used too much 'stop smoke' oil treatment in a diesel engine?

I've put half a bottle in a mate’s car but I'm worried about putting more in just in case there is too much stop smoke and not enough oil? Is that possible?

Some of those treatments are deigned to thicken the oil, so as it doesn't get into the combustion chamber, and burnt off.
Now, if it's oil he's burning, then aside from affecting fuel consumption due to the greater resistance the pistons will experience, he'll need to look at something better to sort out his seals - BG44 products, Liqui-Moly, Forté - none of which you'll find in your local Halfords.

If the car is smokey from soot build up, a few good boots up the through the gears will sort that out - and there are treatments from the aforementioned brands suited to carbon desposits, and a whole host of other things which befall a modern diesel/petrol engine.

dominic84
07-10-2008, 04:26 PM
Some of those treatments are deigned to thicken the oil, so as it doesn't get into the combustion chamber, and burnt off.
Now, if it's oil he's burning, then aside from affecting fuel consumption due to the greater resistance the pistons will experience, he'll need to look at something better to sort out his seals - BG44 products, Liqui-Moly, Forté - none of which you'll find in your local Halfords.

If the car is smokey from soot build up, a few good boots up the through the gears will sort that out - and there are treatments from the aforementioned brands suited to carbon desposits, and a whole host of other things which befall a modern diesel/petrol engine.

Yeah he is burning oil and it failed the MOT last time on emissions but after I changed the oil/filter and added some stop smoke plus a bottle of diesel treatment it just scraped through the MOT.

This time, a year later and a load more miles I am thinking it probably won't pass at all so anything is worth trying :)

Paul-T
07-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I should have said that of course I read the label which says it will treat 3-5 litres of oil and I’ve added roughly half the bottle based on how much oil I think is in there :thumb:

I just wanted to know if it is possible for the engine to OD on this stuff and whether or not it acts as lubricant in the same way as oil.

But to be honest just because I'm not an expert on oil treatments doesn't mean I don't know anything about cars so I don't see any need for the atitude?

There isn't attitude in that post - my point was that the oil is the lifeblood of the engine, getting something wrong and it going belly up can only be a very bad (read expensive) thing, so maybe this would have been a question best asked before putting it in. I didn't say you know nothing about cars.

From a common sense point of view, I'd 'guess' that they are unlikely to make a product that would cause catastrophic engine failure from putting a bit to much in, especially if they give a window of 3 to 5 litres that it will treat.

PJS
07-10-2008, 05:06 PM
From a common sense point of view, I'd 'guess' that they are unlikely to make a product that would cause catastrophic engine failure from putting a bit to much in, especially if they give a window of 3 to 5 litres that it will treat.

That just means the active ingredients will treat 3-5 litres worth of oil - if your engine requires more than that, then you'll need more of the treatment pro-rata to treat whatever the amount is over 5 litres.
The product is not a lubricant, but a modifier, so if the oil is still low on the dipstick after adding the correct amount of treatment, then you need to top up with oil, not more of the treatment product.

GVS
07-10-2008, 05:09 PM
Make sure these oil additives are compatible with turbo's too ! :buffer:

Paul-T
07-10-2008, 05:10 PM
Thank you, I understand that, I wasn't suggesting it is a substitute for oil.

PJS
07-10-2008, 05:17 PM
Thank you, I understand that, I wasn't suggesting it is a substitute for oil.

I suspected that - I meant to clarify your remark about why there's a 3-5 litre 'window', and that you could inadvertently add more without thinking, which could be problematic since the oil pump has to pump a higher viscosity fluid around, plus the oil filter bypass mechanism going open, so less of the oil is filtered.
There has to be enough lubricity for the oil to flow into the various other channels, not just sealing the gaps around the piston rings.

Paul-T
07-10-2008, 05:20 PM
I meant that it can't be 'that' crucial to get the dosage correct if the same given amount can treat 3 litres of oil, or 5 litres - rather a large difference. If it had been crucial to get the dosage right, you'd have expected some sort of incremental scale.

Gruffs
07-10-2008, 05:46 PM
I used this stuff in my car and the emmissions are brilliant.

At the last test they were a third of the legal limit. The engine is a Seat 1.9PD 130 BTW.

http://www.xado.co.uk

dominic84
07-10-2008, 05:53 PM
There isn't attitude in that post - my point was that the oil is the lifeblood of the engine, getting something wrong and it going belly up can only be a very bad (read expensive) thing, so maybe this would have been a question best asked before putting it in. I didn't say you know nothing about cars.

I agree which is why at the time of asking the question I'd only used the recommended dosage and wanted to check with others who have more experience with these products before deviating from manufacturer guidelines :)

A bit like when people have been snow foaming their car for months but then they ask "if I use more snow foam will it work better"? To which, and I think you'll agree that if they got told "you shouldn't be doing it if you don't know what you're doing" this forum wouldn't be the helpful resource that it is :)

I suspected that - I meant to clarify your remark about why there's a 3-5 litre 'window', and that you could inadvertently add more without thinking, which could be problematic since the oil pump has to pump a higher viscosity fluid around, plus the oil filter bypass mechanism going open, so less of the oil is filtered.
There has to be enough lubricity for the oil to flow into the various other channels, not just sealing the gaps around the piston rings.

Thank you, this is exactly why I asked this question because I suspected there might be problems caused by using too much of this product which I hadn't considered :thumb

dominic84
07-10-2008, 05:56 PM
I used this stuff in my car and the emmissions are brilliant.

At the last test they were a third of the legal limit. The engine is a Seat 1.9PD 130 BTW.

http://www.xado.co.uk

Thanks, I'm looking at their website - which product did you use because they appear to have quite a few options?

-Kev-
07-10-2008, 06:05 PM

we sell wynns engine additives at the motor factors i work at, it should tell you on the tin / bottle how much to use (i.e one bottle treats upto 3litres of oil). :)

Gruffs
07-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Thanks, I'm looking at their website - which product did you use because they appear to have quite a few options?

I used the revitalizant gel for diesel engines. I really researched this stuff too as it seems to be a bit of a miracle cure.

I think they've probably encountered this too as they have a whole miriad of test results and patents to go with the usual testimonials.

The most compounding thing for me though is that their oils are approved by VAG for use in WARRANTIED cars.

MAN have done the same for trucks etc.

I certainly have no complaints from using it and will continue to do so.

It'll cost you about £50 (you need three tubes). But £50 versus a new car/engine

dominic84
07-10-2008, 06:57 PM
I used the revitalizant gel for diesel engines. I really researched this stuff too as it seems to be a bit of a miracle cure.

I think they've probably encountered this too as they have a whole miriad of test results and patents to go with the usual testimonials.

The most compounding thing for me though is that their oils are approved by VAG for use in WARRANTIED cars.

MAN have done the same for trucks etc.

I certainly have no complaints from using it and will continue to do so.

It'll cost you about £50 (you need three tubes). But £50 versus a new car/engine

This sounds really good - so was your engine burning oil before the treatment? I agree it does sound like a bit of a mircale cure! Would you agree with their statement: "will restore your vehicle better than new"?

martyp
07-10-2008, 07:01 PM
Boss at work put a full bottle in his 530d. It needed a new cat converter after about 500 miles. Don't know if the two are related but I wouldn't use the stuff at all! :o

Smoke is normal in a diesel, if it seems more than normal change the air filter.

Gruffs
08-10-2008, 03:05 PM
This sounds really good - so was your engine burning oil before the treatment? I agree it does sound like a bit of a mircale cure! Would you agree with their statement: "will restore your vehicle better than new"?

It wasn't burning oil but my mileage is quite high (100k+) and i add 20k a year to that. I'm not in a position for anything to go expensively wrong with the car so my thinking was that prevention was better than cure. :thumb:

I had had no ill effects as previously stated and you are only adding about 75ml of gel to your oil so no need to worry about over filling.

I did see a slight improvement in economy 51MPG to 53MPG and also a lowering in emmisions at the next MOT.

Obviously, if your engine is royally f***ed, you are unlikely to see any results but for £50, i would give it a go.

As for the statement "restores your car better than new". I bought mine second hand so i cannot comment. But, that is a very bold statement that IMO seems to be backed up by the evidence on the site.

The fact that they have granted patents in several countries says that there is something in it too.

The SAAB owners club from Holland report is the most interesting as there are obviously several different cars tested at the same time and ALL showed an improvement. Completely independant as well.

PJS
08-10-2008, 05:05 PM
Unfortunately, the patents mean next to bugger all squared in this field, so I wouldn't rely on that too much.

theshrew
08-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Personally i would only use 1 treatment per oil change as it says on the bottle.

The stuff works pretty much buy making the oil thicker so in it doesnt leak as much. It does work to a fashion but its not a great thing to do to be honest.

If you put to much into the same oil at one time it will become to thick and not get around the engine as it should. Simple terms you will sh*g the engine.

Give it a good sevice then add some in the fresh oil keep your fingers crossed it passes.

If it failed due to fuel system related problem, Service it as above just before you get to MOT place take the air filter out will help a little bit. Dont forget to put it back in soon as you pull out of the MOT yard tho.

Gruffs
08-10-2008, 05:57 PM
^^^^^^

Loving the Avatar!!!!

:D