Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Sports and Fitness Zone (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=378)
-   -   How far did you go today...on yer bike (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=292550)

WashMitt 12-01-2013 10:24 AM

How far did you go today...on yer bike

Hi guys,

Seems we have a lot of riders on the forum so I thought I'd start a thread in which we can share our rides, how far and where

I'll start....

Did 20miles this morning from Wollaton in Nottingham over to Calverton and back it was very cold but bright and dry so I can't complain

So lets hear it, How far did you go????

:thumb:

jamesgti 13-01-2013 07:45 PM

Haven't managed to get out on my bike this weekend as my missus gave birth to our son. Hopefully get out during the week.

WashMitt 13-01-2013 07:47 PM

Congratulations James, when my son was born I did pure early morning rides, once your up your up right?

P4ULT 13-01-2013 08:20 PM

Do you guys use dedicated road bikes been thinking about it for a while now, but not sure if I gain anything over my mtb with road tyres.

WashMitt 13-01-2013 08:42 PM

Yes I do but that's because it's part of my training as I race, I'd say to you if your just starting out stick with what you've got until your sure you like road riding, if you've been at it a while and like it then get a proper road bike the difference is night and day, and forget these hybrid things they are useless!!

Teddy 13-01-2013 08:48 PM

Road bikes are definately better. Gear ratios are all very close meaning you get exactly the right cadence you desire. Smaller sprockets mean much faster gearchanges too. It's like driving a Range Rover instead of a Ferrari.

I did 10 miles today. First time I've been out for a couple of weeks. Last few times I've been 'out' on the turbo trainer in the garage. 45 minutes a time is just enough to not get too hot in the garage.

chunkytfg 13-01-2013 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WashMitt (Post 3903916)
Yes I do but that's because it's part of my training as I race, I'd say to you if your just starting out stick with what you've got until your sure you like road riding, if you've been at it a while and like it then get a proper road bike the difference is night and day, and forget these hybrid things they are useless!!

I think everything has a purpose tbh. Hybrids for commuters are a good idea. wider slick tyres, slightly more upright etc. personally though i've got a full mudguard'd road bike that does the job but when it gets replaced it will become a CX bike.:thumb:

WashMitt 13-01-2013 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chunkytfg (Post 3904327)
I think everything has a purpose tbh. Hybrids for commuters are a good idea. wider slick tyres, slightly more upright etc. personally though i've got a full mudguard'd road bike that does the job but when it gets replaced it will become a CX bike.:thumb:

If you want a mountain bike buy one, the same is true if you want to go on the road, get a road bike, a hybrid does neither very well, they only serve a purpose for road bike riders that want a less aggressive setup, you could just put flat bars on a road bike :thumb:

avit88 13-01-2013 10:47 PM

ah just 11.2 miles today, too cold! my toes were freezing by the end of it!

WashMitt 13-01-2013 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by avit88 (Post 3904384)
ah just 11.2 miles today, too cold! my toes were freezing by the end of it!

I can imagine:(

We had snow on the ground today so I took my first day off this year from gym or cycling