Detailing World Forum banner

Today I learned how to wet-sand

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  burrows1980 
#1 · (Edited)
The skill I learned today is how to wet-sand a car's paintwork to a mirror finish. It's pretty scary stuff after the actual sanding part and you're left staring at paint that reminds you of a school chalkboard thinking Jesus I hope this polishes up. Reasonably happy with the result considering I'm a one-handed guy with a three kilo polisher.

See less See more
#6 ·
I'm planning on doing it at some point as the paint on my Peugeot is really orange peely from the factory. My old man is trying to urge me not to wet sand it but I think I shall soon.

What grade of paper did you use and what polish did you bring it back with? Roughly how long did it take you all in for a certain area?

With you saying one handed, is it an auto? I thought all the Maestro turbos were manual? If it's manual, how do you manage that?

#7 · (Edited)
I'm planning on doing it at some point as the paint on my Peugeot is really orange peely from the factory. My old man is trying to urge me not to wet sand it but I think I shall soon.

What grade of paper did you use and what polish did you bring it back with? Roughly how long did it take you all in for a certain area?

With you saying one handed, is it an auto? I thought all the Maestro turbos were manual? If it's manual, how do you manage that?
Answering your last question first, sadly I'm not a driver because I'm partially sighted. Yes it's five speed manual. The detailing is my pleasure I guess, and now and again winning the odd trophy to make it all worthwhile.

I've only done the bonnet. I guess it took around two hours in total. Washed it, clayed it, 1500 w&d, 2500 w&d, stared at it and thought sh-t what have I done :lol: Polished the 2500 marks out with SRP using my old Silverline rotary with its supplied blue medium-cut foam polishing pad. Finally a layer of BH Finis Wax, which is my current flavour of the month

#8 ·
Cheers.

Is 1000 not a bit hardcore? I've seen many pictures of your car and it always looks immaculate. I'd have assumed that's a very aggressive stage for something that pampered?

I have the 2000, 2500, 3000 and 5000 in my basket on CYC currently, amongst a few hundred quids worth of other stuff. ��

Did you use a paint depth guage at all? If so, any idea what the total removed microns were?

Sorry for all the questions chief, it's just that you've taken that first step which I haven't yet! :lol:

Kind regards,
Wayne.

#10 ·
Cheers.

Is 1000 not a bit hardcore? I've seen many pictures of your car and it always looks immaculate. I'd have assumed that's a very aggressive stage for something that pampered?

Kind regards,
Wayne.
Hi Wayne, I have corrected my post, it was actually 1500 I started with. There were some deeper scratches on the bonnet which wouldn't ever just polish out, I caused them myself about fifteen years ago with a contaminated cloth. So today I thought, you know what, sod it, I'm going to wet sand the whole bonnet and see how it goes. There were two possible outcomes, considering I have never wet-sanded anything but tiny patches before. Thankfully, the outcome is this :thumb:

#11 ·
Yep. There are those who still insist modern SRP does not have a cut. Some even say AG staff have actually told them so. But it has a good enough cut to polish out 2500 sanding marks, even without a rotary if you apply it with something mildly abrasive such as a microfibre applicator. But without a machine I'd have still been at it now.

#17 ·
Ive just started to wet sand my Nissan Pulsar GTi-R due to poor respray, this has encouraged me to carry on! I myself stood back when I just decided to go for it and thought holy crap what have I just done lol! im going to be using megs 105 with a CG orange pad on black paint, that definetly removes 2000 grit.

Epic car that too!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.