Detailing World

Detailing World (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/index.php)
-   The Sports and Fitness Zone (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=378)
-   -   NYC Marathon 2019 (http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=416851)

macca666 01-11-2019 02:06 PM

NYC Marathon 2019
 
So I've arrived in New York yesterday running my first marathon on Sunday at the age of 45 due to personal circumstances which spurred me on to do something.

Never ran before this but might as well jump in at the deep end.....

Think my training has went well but now bricking it with last minute nerves :lol:

Any last minute advice from anyone on here who's done similar?

Andyblue 01-11-2019 02:13 PM

No, but Rogers popping round to your house and nicking all your detailing gear mate :D



Seriously though, all the best, try and enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere, good luck :thumb: :thumb:

Marve 01-11-2019 02:25 PM

I'm running my first marathon in February next year in Seville at the age of 40. I have run a few halves before but this will be my first marathon. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts afterwards but the best thing I have heard a few times now is to have in your mind that 20 miles is the halfway marker. As in those last 6 miles are as hard as the first 20.

If you're training has gone well, just try and distract yourself and stay calm without thinking about it too much until you get to the start line. Whatever fears you have will all disappear the moment you cross the start line. Just try your best to stick to your game plan, I think the most important thing is to just complete your first one successfully. Don't get too hung up if your time gets away from you.

What time are you aiming for?

macca666 01-11-2019 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andyblue (Post 5595065)
No, but Rogers popping round to your house and nicking all your detailing gear mate :D



Seriously though, all the best, try and enjoy it and soak up the atmosphere, good luck :thumb: :thumb:

Cheers mate:lol:

Rojers knows we share and share alike at least I've got my garage key back from him now so i need to be there.......but I take his gear as well so we're all good :thumb:

I am excited just bricking it as well but I'll enjoy it...

macca666 01-11-2019 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marve (Post 5595067)
I'm running my first marathon in February next year in Seville at the age of 40. I have run a few halves before but this will be my first marathon. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts afterwards but the best thing I have heard a few times now is to have in your mind that 20 miles is the halfway marker. As in those last 6 miles are as hard as the first 20.

If you're training has gone well, just try and distract yourself and stay calm without thinking about it too much until you get to the start line. Whatever fears you have will all disappear the moment you cross the start line. Just try your best to stick to your game plan, I think the most important thing is to just complete your first one successfully. Don't get too hung up if your time gets away from you.

What time are you aiming for?

Cheers mate did a couple of halves this year in training so hit 1hr 51

I'll actually be happy to complete I was aiming for around a 10 minute mile or less so around 4 to 4hr 20 but i think NY can he a tough one plus I reckon I'll take a few pics on route so anything below 5 and I reckon I'm good.

Ill certainly let you know how I get on if I survive it :thumb:

Darlofan 01-11-2019 10:25 PM

Did my first marathon 3weeks ago. Training wasn't best this year due to injuries. Training times I was looking at 5hrs. Set off and about 5miles in I saw one of the pacers in front. Caught them and it was 4hr30 pacer, ran with him feeling really good until 17miles. Then my legs just said sod this and I struggled like i never have before. Didn't get another full mile without walking after that!!
Ended up at 5hr 4mins which would have been ok beforehand. So my advice would be, take it easy, don't go out too fast. Enjoy it as well, I loved it till mile17 then spent 9miles swearing I'd stick to half marathons from then on.
I found out since I'd pulled my IT band and strained ligaments in right foot and shouldn't have run. I knew about the ligaments before but was running for hospice that cared for my dad so would have run with 2 broken legs!!

Oh yeah, I'm desperate to get back to running and looking for marathons to do next year😂 Jealous of you now.

macca666 01-11-2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darlofan (Post 5595141)
Did my first marathon 3weeks ago. Training wasn't best this year due to injuries. Training times I was looking at 5hrs. Set off and about 5miles in I saw one of the pacers in front. Caught them and it was 4hr30 pacer, ran with him feeling really good until 17miles. Then my legs just said sod this and I struggled like i never have before. Didn't get another full mile without walking after that!!
Ended up at 5hr 4mins which would have been ok beforehand. So my advice would be, take it easy, don't go out too fast. Enjoy it as well, I loved it till mile17 then spent 9miles swearing I'd stick to half marathons from then on.
I found out since I'd pulled my IT band and strained ligaments in right foot and shouldn't have run. I knew about the ligaments before but was running for hospice that cared for my dad so would have run with 2 broken legs!!

Oh yeah, I'm desperate to get back to running and looking for marathons to do next year�� Jealous of you now.

Well done mate as I said think I'll be happy to finish.

I'm running for macmillan cancer and BHF as my mum died last year from cancer and my brother took a major heart attack 6 weeks later but thankfully he's still with us and doing well so i get what you're saying bout running and finishing.

I've been running about 20 mile in training at around the 9 mile a minute so would be just under 4 but I know i can't last that for the 26 so I'll pace myself around the 10 and hopefully do ok.

In fairness as long as the sweeper bus doesnt have to pick me up I'll be happy :thumb:

DLGWRX02 01-11-2019 10:59 PM

Been following your progress on insta, hats off to you buddy and big respect. I couldn’t do, i I’d have trouble running to the bottom of the street. Good luck, and remember to enjoy yourself.

macca666 02-11-2019 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DLGWRX02 (Post 5595151)
Been following your progress on insta, hats off to you buddy and big respect. I couldn’t do, i I’d have trouble running to the bottom of the street. Good luck, and remember to enjoy yourself.

Thanks mate. I was like that at the beginning of the year and if I'm honest not really sure how I've managed to get here :lol::lol:

danwel 02-11-2019 07:18 AM

I keep toying with a Marathon but the furthest i have ever ran is 20km. I would like to do the NYC marathon too but thinking of starting with a half first and see how i go


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DTO Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors