Detailing World Forum banner

Our Gateway Porsche

38K views 67 replies 21 participants last post by  ttc6 
#1 ·
Hello All

Just want to start by saying thanks for the wealth of information shared on this forum. I've used it to great effect in the past, but only ever on cars which weren't in the best of shape to begin with. I'm posting here now to make sure I get this right with something a bit more special...

It's an early 2.7 986. Quite boring in spec, but crucially very well looked after by one owner from new. It's been used properly, and we plan to continue that trend - in fact we will be using it every day. I plan to protect it accordingly - not something I've done before.

There are few problem areas which need attention (it really is very good), I'll post up as I tackle them. I'll search / post in the relevant areas if necessary, but if anyone would like to offer advice on my plan as a whole here I would be more than grateful for the advice.

My previous experience is of paint correction by rotary - I used the advice on here, got stuck in, and have been very impressed by the results. I have one tub of DJ Diamond White that has been doing the rounds for about 5 years, it's been on 5 cars, I get on very well with it but the 986 needs a bit more. I'm not afraid of spending money where it's necessary, but I can't really justify having multiples of exotic products on hand - I get through them pretty slowly as I never wash the cars as often as I'd like. My current arsenal goes something like this:

Valet Pro Snow Foam (not had great results) + decent lance on Nilfisk machine
Surfex (love it)
Car Pro TRIX (used a whole bottle on a motorway warrior and removed virtually zero)
Bilberry Wheel Cleaner (seems to need a lot of work and plenty of blowback - ran out)
DJ Shampoo (Basics IIRC) + 2 buckets
Sonus Clay (not tried)
Menzerna PF2500 / FF3000 + 3M pads (loads left, advice on pads sought)
Aforementioned tub of DJ DW
CG Speed Wipe (alright I presume - don't use it much because I'm never sure how it reacts with what's underneath)

I'm planning to move towards the BH range for most of my stuff. Partly because I've been really impressed with what I have tried (and the science), and partly because I get confused by having cross sections of different product ranges on my shelf.

So, plan for the Boxster:

BH Surfex, Dynax UC - underneath
BH Auto Foam, Auto Wheel, Korrosol - shiny side (up)
Clay, small amount of correction
Gtechniq Total Surface Protection Kit (CSL, Exo, C4, C5, G1, I1, L1, C6, ought to do it)

Bits I'm not sure about yet: (will answer these as I go along)

Headlights: totally clear as yet, need some protection from UV. PPF or ceramic? One prominent scratch, how to deal with without compromising the factory UV protection?
Hood: how to remove any existing protection if any (Surfex?), how to protect the plastic window (seen some good stuff on cleaning / restoring, not required here) - may well ask Gtechniq. Same for poly wind deflector
Corrosion on calipers (anodised I think)
Corrosion on exhaust finisher

All I can think of for now. I look forward to sharing my results with you. I'm pretty well sold on the Gtechniq system but keen to hear of results from alternatives. Almost as drawn to the interior sealants as exterior coatings - especially with the propensity for moisture and UV in a drop top.

Thanks!

PS: previous results on the motorway warrior - soon to depart. DJ DW over dealer applied Supagard! He was really keen to do it (for "free") so I let him on the agreement that he didn't seal in any swirls. Did a surprisingly good job. Here it is after two years (washed about three times in total...):

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks very much. Such good value they represent at the moment!

Nice little Boxster there.

I've got a 987, and I've used 303 Fabric Cleaner on the hood, before protecting with the 303 fabric Guard.

I'm pretty impressed with it, I did it back in June and its holding up quiet nicely in the weather, and light rain beads up on it really well.

In fairness when the cars outside all day and it rains all day, your never going to get any product to fully repel without soaking in to some degree.

I'd buy the 303 Fabric guard again and I reckon if I got some now and topped up the hood with 2 coats it would be worthwhile.

6 months in and still working I'm pretty happy.
Thanks James, that's very helpful. I shall look into it.

#3 ·
Nice little Boxster there.

I've got a 987, and I've used 303 Fabric Cleaner on the hood, before protecting with the 303 fabric Guard.

I'm pretty impressed with it, I did it back in June and its holding up quiet nicely in the weather, and light rain beads up on it really well.

In fairness when the cars outside all day and it rains all day, your never going to get any product to fully repel without soaking in to some degree.

I'd buy the 303 Fabric guard again and I reckon if I got some now and topped up the hood with 2 coats it would be worthwhile.

6 months in and still working I'm pretty happy.

#7 ·
Thanks both!

Work continues apace on the workshop at the moment, small distraction. It's been a long process to get to this stage but starting to come together now the lights are up... :buffer:

I might do a thread on the build of the mancave if people are interested.

Haven't done anything to the 986 apart from drive it yet. It's looking like we may well keep the F20 through this winter and start afresh in the new year.

#12 ·
We've no plans to get rid of this one, it's far too good to let go of! I'm after a 996 Turbo (or more likely 4S) for the ultimate his 'n' hers.

Funny, I was just reading through your thread now! I think you need a floor like mine - I'll comment in your thread.

I'll get on to writing mine up!
Thread on the garage can now be found here.

#13 ·
Funny, I was going to start a thread today about the early 986 Boxster I picked up on Saturday.

Mines a 'too goo to not buy' high spec model thats been showered with love and big bills. Everything has been done it seems, and not too bad from a detailing viewpoint either - it does bead ! Plus it was cheap as chips, drives beautifully and is in fabulous nick, especially inside.
It joins my 944 Turbo.

My list of things to do I'll post in my own section, but good luck with yours.

#14 ·
Look forward to seeing that one Mark. We did want a car like that if I'm honest, but the back story with this one was what sold it to us. Plus, I had seen a lot of dogs by this point - this one isn't perfect but it's really honest.

Have you got a thread / some pics on the 944? A lot of love for these too here - in fact we were really torn between going after an S2 or the 986. 986 just cut it in the end because the boss found it a bit less intimidating - plus that lovely stereotypical Porsche intake howl just behind your left ear!

#15 ·
I've the Turbo now for 14 years, its a real keeper so I wasn't really looking - I just knew the guy who was selling the 986 and I seemed to buy it...

No thread on the 944 actually, though its featured in my column this month in Ultimate Porsche magazine. But as the 986 is a clean slate I'm intending to document and build a thread of what I do to it. 944 has had so many products on it its untrue !

No howl on mine though, in fact only a turbine-like note - 944 sounds much better.

My other company www.carinspections.co.uk looks at more dogs than the RSPCA.

#18 ·
First wash on the 986 today, rather satisfying experience. Just enough to assess where it needs work. Going to go back and take a proper look round tomorrow, start to form a plan.

Some new toys courtesy of Black Friday: (and some old)

First impressions, EZ and long Vikan brushes particularly good. Small one a bit stiff for use on the roof. Auto Foam and Auto Wash particularly good. I2 seemed to work a treat on the roof and for removing cosmetics residue on the touch points in the F20.

I2 at work:

Some evidence of protection. Maybe a filler-heavy polish of some description, has the look of filled RDS on most of the surfaces. Got plenty of cack out of the arches but nothing to write home about.

Will stick some pictures of the problem areas up tomorrow.

#19 ·
Looking forward to seeing this. I owned a 987 from 2008-16. Great car which i used as a summer toy. If you are going to use it everyday prepare for some pretty big bills. I put about £5k into mine on servicing alone over 40k. And don't leave it out in freezing / heavy rain in you can help it.

This was mine:

#20 ·
Looking forward to seeing this. I owned a 987 from 2008-16. Great car which i used as a summer toy. If you are going to use it everyday prepare for some pretty big bills. I put about £5k into mine on servicing alone over 40k. And don't leave it out in freezing / heavy rain in you can help it.
Cheers mate, nice looking car you had there. The thing with the cost of ongoing maintenance on this, is that it's eclipsed by the lack of depreciation. With the cost of the loan to buy the F20, as well as the hit in value over 2.5 years, we could have bought a whole extra Boxster with change. Plus the fact that we're tied into main dealer servicing on the BM which isn't exactly cheap. As for whether we use it over winter, we'll see how it goes - but again it was cheap enough that we can afford a winter car.

#21 ·
Progress update.

GT I2, VP Bilberry, BH AF, 100:1 Surfex, BH AW.

Clean (kinda):

Roof has come up well, but some shiny bits from where it's been folded:

Some work to be done on the window, inside and out. Scratches and internal cack:

Scratch in the headlight:

General state of the wheels. Hope I can get away without refinishing them:

General state of the arches. Good but the fronts are just starting to bubble. Will have to catch these sooner rather than later. Plenty of dirt / rubber / tar / etc. but should all clean up well:

Paint on the body is good. It has been kept clean. Usual swirls to sort but should be quite easy on a smooth shape like this. Front bumper has been sprayed poorly, see small crack in the middle. General stone chips and a few marks, but what would a sports car be without a battle scar or two?

Some very stubborn cack on the rear bumper I can't shift. Not sure what it is other than an accumulation of many years' road dirt. Surfex and a brush didn't touch it. Wash mitt came away from it clean. Will try a stronger concentration but beyond that not sure where to go with it. Don't really want to get the clay straight on there. Any ideas anyone?

Exhaust and trim needs some work:

Interior is really, very, good indeed. Just a bit of wear to the drivers' mat and some scuffs under the drivers' side dash:

Cheers!

#24 ·
ttc6 - maybe take the back number plate off to machine away that dark stain ?

On mine, I've cleaned the drainage area where the roof stows but there appear to be, according to the parts diagram, some kidney shaped bowls with the drain holes that cause the front footwell/ECU to get wet.
Question: how do you gain access as they appear to be low down by the rollover bar ?

Impressed with your progress, mine got its second wash and proper clean of the gutters round the luggage areas, interior is now spot on apart from the seats (minor portion of the interior...). Brought it to work again today...

#25 ·
I used to move the roof into a semi-open position and you then see the rear drain holes. Clean any leaves, crud etc and then run an open hose at very low pressure (or pour a jug of water) down the holes. If it runs out of the bottom under the sill then they are clear. My issue came when I'd used the car at work for a week at a hotel. It had been snowing, icy etc and they got blocked. Porsche charged me £1400 to fix it (£200 for the ECU)!

#29 ·
Thanks all. Going to have a look at the roof drains this weekend. Not been out much recently due to the weather, perhaps we're being too soft on it. May have a pop at machining the rear bumper too as it's bugging me.

Have also ordered some sealant for the soft top and rear window, should get that done.

I had wondered in the Britemax Twins were the right thing for the exhaust and surround, as I had assumed they were anodised black. I think however, after thorough googling that they are just filthy! Forgot to upload a picture of the calipers though, these are anodised:

#34 ·
I've got G4/G5 on my Porsche screen at the moment :thumb:
Its pretty good, I've used it loads of times on different cars.

I only used this last time as I had run out of Angelwax Vision cleaner and Angelwax H2GO screen sealant, which are both my preferred products in all honesty.
Ease of application, durability, and of course water repellency
New supplied have arrived since.

The Gtechniq is pretty good though and you won't be disappointed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.