Detailing World Forum banner

My 2018 Nissan Leaf first wash

9K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  wrxmania 
#1 ·
Finally got my new car, a Brand new Nissan Leaf Tekna, when I viewed it the day before collection it was in an absolutely minging state having been transported from Sunderland, to Wales then all the way over here to the East coast. The sales guy assured me they only use top qualified valets and it would be pristine for my collection on Friday. (And still tried to sell me the magical supagard £400!). So upon collection yes it looked clean but I only had a glance over the outside as the sales guy spent nearly an hour explaining all the bells and whistles inside.

Early start this morning outside at 5.30am, let the deep clean commence.

Starting off with a bh auto foam followed by a rinse and then Dooka wash. Paintwork was beading in places but it was not consistent, so I thought sod it! full decon and wipe down and see where we go from there.
I covered the car in Autosmart red7 fall out remover, and for a car that has a grand total of 26 miles on the clock I wasn't quite expecting what I found. I followed this up with a power rinse after a 5 minute dwell and then repeated this a further 3 times before no more bleed could be seen.

Second pass

Third pass and almost clear after 5 minutes.

Then after closer inspection found the lower of the front bumper and side sills covered in tar spots, so using my Alien Magic clay, and Nuru as a lube I set about removing this.

Remember this car had already been fully prepped by "qualified" professionals [emoji849]. After completing this the paint was not perfect but did not warrant my getting the machine out although I did find some RDS on the roof! I will live with this until the swirling gets more severe then set about it.

I followed up the clay with another wash and rinse, then tried out my recently won Autoglym UHD wax, now just to confirm although I own many waxes I'm definitely more a spray wax sealant guy, I don't very often break out the hard stuff so this is quite unknown territory for me. It was also just before noon when I started, in full sun! The wax applicator was a godsend having never had a puck style one before now (shall be investing in a few more) made it really simple to spread and evenly apply the wax. For the larger panels I worked it in over half then left to cure for about 10 mins before buffing off. Even in full sun this wax came straight off with very little effort and low dust, the only place I run into trouble was where I had obviously over applied the wax and it baked which meant some elbow grease was required (and I can still feel that now) and with quite a bit of dusting! (#selfinflicted)

To help get rid of the dust and give a little more pop I added a layer of Alien Magic Argon on the top. I then used my car pro D-lux and sealed the face and inners of the wheels being diamond cut I thought they may need all the help they can get, no pictures though battery on iPad then died.lol

But here's the finished shots with some nice pearl flake pop

Tomorrow, the inside and under the bonnet.

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh yes plenty of toys almost overwhelming.lol. The only thing I don't like so far is the chrome door handles, I so wish they done a black option. Also I'm thinking about de badging. Them zero emission and leaf badges I can see being a Mecca for trapped dirt and wax residue!.

#8 ·
I forget to be honest I sold the Range Rover back in April, I've been in a E500 for the past 4 months. But straight awat I can say this is far easier to get in and out of, it's no slow coach of the mark, although limited to 89mph it gets there with no hold back, it's full acceleration from 0 to 89. Let's just say a few people who have popped in for a test came out with very different opinions. One said it felt like a rollercoaster how it picked up.

The biggest and hardest thing to get used to is noise or lack of. More importantly I've had 3 pedestrians walk out in front of me so far and yes the self breaking does work.lol. The car does emit a high pitch noise below I think 40 maybe wrong may be slightly higher but I think most people who have iPods or mps stuck in there lugholes all day can't hear it.

#10 ·
Batteries are all owned on the new ones with no option to lease. The warranty is 3 years/60k for the mechanical items and battery warranty of 8 years/100k... would never worry about the battery to be honest, C&C Taxis in Truro retired their first 24kWh Leaf at over 255,000 miles with only one bar of health gone from the battery. There is no degradation to range or charging abilities until you lose three...

#13 ·
Lovely car mate. I've heard these are nippy of the mark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
0-62 officially is 7.4 although feels quicker as no real gears to speak off! Unofficially will have launch control as in an electric car can drop the brake pedal before the accelerator without killing the engine or worrying about balancing the clutch then simply lift the brake to get full power... with pedal on there is no real need as the car won't creep until you drop the accelerator...

#19 ·
Lovely car. Like it in white. Shows all the other manufacturers that you can have a decent spec car and still be electric. Safe driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It certainly does have a spec list as long as your arm

Leather and suede interior with heated front and rear seats
Heated steering wheel
Led auto lights and drls
Autonomous parking
Active cruise control
Self steering, lane control, drowsiness alert.
360 degree cameras
Front and rear parking sensors with parking guide on screen
Sat nav, dab, Bose audio with boot mounted subwoofer
Speed sign recognition
Automatic emergency breaking
Regenerative breaking
Plus all the usual electric everything and keyless entry.

And I'm sure I've missed loads.lol

#28 ·
My colour coded splash guards (or mudflaps) arrived yesterday so I cleaned and sealed them with carpro dlux, and left them over night. So after a thorough clean of the car today, after that lovely African rain during the week leaving my car looking like an albino leopard here they are fitted. That Autoglym uhd wax causes some lovely water beading. I will get some pics next time.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.