Detailing World Forum banner

The Dad Tank - Merc E Class

98K views 220 replies 55 participants last post by  Alex_225 
#1 · (Edited)
So today I picked up a replacement for my Dad Wagon Saab 9-3.

I wanted a bit of daily Merc driving, I love the feel of my CLS but it's not practical driving a 6.2 V8 day to day, plus I don't want to whack the mileage onto it.

So here is my 2003 Mercedes E 320cdi. It has a 3.2ltr diesel and makes about 200bhp and about 360lbs-ft of torque so it properly shifts. It's done 102k but inside and out you'd never know it. Feels extremely defined and dare I say the engine actually sounds quite good when you give it some throttle...

Next to it's tougher, quicker but a hell of a lot thirstier brother...

Interior is extremely nice and has been kept well. This is as it was when I picked it up but I have given the plastics a clean and shampooed the fabrics this evening. Will vacuum it thoroughly tomorrow.

The car wears it's mileage incredibly well but is an honest car with a few stone chips (touched in by the previous owner), less than average mileage but everything maintained well and looks well cared for in general.

Next up will be giving the outside a thorough wash, to get some new plates on and get those headlights polished up!

See less See more
#7 ·
Looks good.

I reckon you will sell the CLS.
That's just crazy talk. The CLS has similarities to the E but is in another league speed and looks wise. I wouldn't part with it.

Looks nice, don't these normally rot for fun? Yours looks to be a well looked after car indeed.
Yeah they're meant to rust but this one seems to be rust free. The very inside lip of the arches has what could be the beginnings of rust so I'll treat them before they look like rust.

Thing is I think this car may have been garaged and pampered. Mileage isn't overly high, averaged 8k a year. Interior hasn't had a hard life either.

Oddly the only bit of wear is round the keyhole on the glove box. Only shows when it's lit up with the rest of the dash. May try painting it.

#12 ·
My father in law has one, made for motorway cruising!
That is the main reason I opted for one. I don't do mega mileage day to day, probably around 150-200 miles a month.

But I do 260 miles in one stint every other weekend so it gets that good run that a diesel needs. Plus I really enjoy that 5am motorway cruise in a nice comfy car and this is definitely comfy. :thumb:

#17 ·
Side by side the CLS is a more handsome car, just has great lines and for me just holds that certain something. Even non-AMG models look good. But it is subjective and the E class is a handsome saloon car so don't blame you for liking it. :thumb:

Really nice example that....

I also liked your Saab though! Hope you got a good deal for it.
Thanks mate. I hope I get a good deal too haha, it's still hidden down the driveway. Although had some interest from a few people so we shall see. :lol:

Will you miss the Estate format of the Saab?

Merc looks nice, if its the V6 model (i think it is) just check the Turbo seal is seated correct. Many many people who service these (main dealers especially) have a habbit of not putting them on correct.

The result can be oil dripping onto the solenoid below.

This is the seal (the big red/orange thing) only about £18 off Mercedes Newcastle on ebay. Comes with the smaller one too. This is a part for a modified oil catch here but if the seal is on correct you don't need this drip tray really.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1668433-inlet-manifold-servo-protector-mb-c.html
The estate format won't worry me too much, the boot in the E is pretty vast, longer than the Saabs but obviously lacking the depth. Rarely did I have to move the parcel shelf/roller blind out of the way in the Saab apart from the rare runs to the tip so I'm not too worried on that part. The space in the back seats is more relevant and the E class has that nailed. :thumb:

Thanks for the heads up on that, I'll have al look at that link too.

#15 ·
Will you miss the Estate format of the Saab?

Merc looks nice, if its the V6 model (i think it is) just check the Turbo seal is seated correct. Many many people who service these (main dealers especially) have a habbit of not putting them on correct.

The result can be oil dripping onto the solenoid below.

This is the seal (the big red/orange thing) only about £18 off Mercedes Newcastle on ebay. Comes with the smaller one too. This is a part for a modified oil catch here but if the seal is on correct you don't need this drip tray really.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/v-class/1668433-inlet-manifold-servo-protector-mb-c.html

#18 ·
Managed to get outside before the light disappeared and gave the interior a proper vacuum.

I was pleasantly surprised at how clean the footwells were under the mats, it's certainly never been driven without them.

The Mats are original but still tidy, I gave them a vacuum. They're thick and tough as old boots but came up nice and gave the Merc badges a quick clean.

Not a bad place to be.

The door sills were looking a bit sorry for themselves. Quick once over with some Autoglym Metal Polish and a bit shinier.

Before

After

Then onto swapping out the old tired looking number plates and some clean looking pressed plates. Became a fan of pressed plates on my CLS and Saab.

Nice and clean underneath

Next up will be the exterior but that can wait until the weekend. I won't get a chance to give it a 100% clean but it'll certainly get a quick once over with something like Dodo Juice Need for Speed. :thumb:

#20 ·
I agree mate I wouldn't go for DAZ but if anything a random selection of numbers maybe.

I'm in no rush though, in slowly but surely getting it as clean as I like. Fitted my Dashcam tonight too.

Think that's about it really until I wash the outside.

#22 ·
I have to agree, the interior has a few blemishes but nothing that would indicate it's been driven for 100k!!

I'd put that down to being extremely well built plus I don't think the car has had a hard life. It's averaged about 8k a year and been well cared for.

Hopefully my judgement on the condition of the car reflects its reliability going forward.

#24 ·
Gave the old girl a hand wash and a quick once over with some Dodo Juice Need for Speed. Nothing too serious but if I'm honest the bodywork is in really good condition, it's nice to see an older car that's been cared for.

There's the odd blemish here and there which you'd expect for 13 years of use but nothing I'm in a big rush to get sorted, which is indicative that it's not that bad. :thumb:

Even gave the bonnet emblem a quick polish as it was a little tarnished, came up nice.

#27 ·
The headlights are very hazed at the moment, getting them correct is the next task really. Only thing that gives away it's age so watch this space. :thumb:

Ive been looking at these as a new daily. They are a lot of car for the money and the interior are stunning and don't show age generally.
Great work. I fancy an e320cdi.
It is a hell of a lot of car for the money. I did 130 miles in it today, it's an E320 as well so that's the 3.2 straight six diesel and managed 45mpg with 3 adults and a boot full. It's such a pleasure to drive on a cruise, sit back and waft in complete comfort and the 360lbs of torque means plenty of overtaking ability.

#28 ·
Bit of a baptism of fire for the Dad Tank this week, in the form of a 700 mile trip to North Devon with the family.

What can I say, the car performed perfectly. Comfortable, so much overtaking grunt and even 4 up the entire time even averaged 37mpg.

So this morning the E was given a thorough clean inside and then out. Pre-cleaned with Valet Pro Citrus Pre-Wash and the Karcher. Then the usual two buckets, microfibre mitt and Dodo Juice Born to be Mild.

Car was hand polished last weekend so I managed to give the bodywork a coating of Collinite 845, seal the glass and give the engine bay a wipe down. Looking good....

#30 ·
I did look at the C class estates as they're great looking cars but the E offered that bit more room inside.

I got the plates off eBay mate, there's a few sellers on there who do them. Usually around £20 per pair. I like the look of pressed plates, less glossy (and cheaper) than the gel resin plates but just a little different from a plane standard plate.

Looks like I brought the rain this afternoon but as least the Collinite is doing it's job...

#31 ·
Nice care Alex, of I had that V8 I wouldn't mind sleeping in it not only daily driving it :)

BTW that 320 looks clean only thing visible osbthat rear bumper has it been resprayed?

I like the interior of it never did the exterior but they are reliable cars for sure.... Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

#33 ·
Little update on the E this weekend.

I managed to get hold of an OEM cup holder from eBay. No where on the car is there a cup holder, lots of cubby holes but nothing to put your coffee, Redbull, beer etc Not normally a priority for me but the five hour round trip to get my little girl is long enough that one comes in very handy.

So out with this little clip in tray....

Insert this little box which clips into place....

Then push the little silver button and.....

Mercedes trying to rival Saab on the over engineering cup holder category! Haha

Car is now with my local bodyshop for the wheels to be painted and for £30 they're polishing the headlights!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.