Detailing World Forum banner

Newbie advice

2K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  Ruairi 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi guys. I have bought my first machine polisher, a das-6 pro.
I've never had a go at polishing or clay barring, nothing more than a snow foam and wash. I'm a little nervous tbh and would like recommendations for products to use. Ive had a look in the article section but still feel a little lost. My car is a silver impreza sti and the paintwork is in good condition. I just want to get it popping lol. Also I'm a little confused about when to use some products like glazes. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Cheers

#5 ·
Ok so seems it's very open ended I'll try not to be too vague

Bilt Hamber clay has a very good reputation for being a high quality.
Their fallout remover also

In terms of the polisher, Chemical guys Hex pads are regarded as a really good all round set of pads. Atleast 2 of each would cover all bases depending on what you want to achieve correction wise

Polishes, Koch Chemie, Menzerna and Sonax all seem to tick a lot of boxes. But it's very much down to personal opinion, if suggest sample size bottles and see what works for you.

But before any of that get yourself a scrap panel before you think about putting your machine to your car.
Practise on that and perfect your technique and then your good to go.

#8 ·
Last stage protection, such as a wax or ceramic coating.

Ceramic coatings tend to cost more, and require more prep to fulfil their potential but last a lot longer than a wax, some up to 2 years!

Waxes tend to give more gloss and shine to the paintwork, but only usually last a couple of months or so

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

#9 ·
It's far from that simple though... There's all manner of hybrid waxes, sealants of many different types, the variety in price, durability,ease of use, look, water behaviour etc is colossal.

OP, as you'll see written many times on here, the finish is in the prep. So don't worry too much about the LSP. Buy a couple you like the sound of, give them a try and see what you do, or don't like about how they behave.

#13 ·
OP

I would suggest you use a paint cleaner or a cleaner glaze with your polisher, they are good to practice with as they do not cut back too much clear coat in the paint but will still give you outstanding results.
I would suggest Dodo Juice Lime Prime or micro prime this was my first intro into Detailing when I had an STI spec D so I know it works well on Impreza paint.

Gonz.

#19 ·
I was exactly like you when I first tried a DAS-6 and found things a bit daunting.

You'll find many on here are close to perfectionists on what they do and it is within your grasp to progress to that if that's what you want. Following procedure you will be amazed at what you can achieve.

If like me you are unable to find a scrap panel to work on I wouldn't be too nervous as you can't really go far wrong with a DAS-6.

I am no expert but was amazed how much difference it makes if you wash and prep your paint using clay and fallout remover prior to polishing.

There's loads on here and some great vids on Youtube on how to use the polisher and because it's a dual action machine, the risk of damage is minimal just as long as you follow the recommended procedure.
Have fun.

#20 ·
Bilt Hamber Clay is very popular but some people say it's too hard. Might want to try Megs Clay.

Glaze is basically a filler. Will fill the scratches but will eventually wear off. Depending on the defects on the paint, you have compounds and polishes. Compounds take on the more serious defects whereas polishes are a light abrasive used on minor defects.

Haven't used a machine polisher myself but look on YouTube for Junkman and Forensic detailing. They have videos on polishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.