Detailing World Forum banner

My Daily Commuter • Golf MKV GT

332K views 605 replies 128 participants last post by  mgpdoc 
#1 ·
Hello everyone. This thread is about my daily drive. It is a Golf MK5 in anthracite grey bought sometime ago and always in the family. I had it in the past for track use, however when I took over my Big Turbo Audi, some of you know in here, I let this one stay in the family, although I always liked it for me. Just bought a new A3 TDI some days ago, so this one, had to come back to my hands and become my daily commuter.

Here are some photos taken of it. I think you will like what I will do with it.

Started like this.

A lot of dirt on the car and non care signs by my father

So I gave it some TLC to change that.

Started by debadging it for a clear rear end.

Then a small detail..from this

To this

Removing unnecessary weight

And after a detail session with the known procedures,car got some of its old dignity back.

RS4 replicas, soon to be replaced

Some scratches and swirls under the Golf and Gt logo.

Nothing my sweet Kestrel can cope with - some DA love with 3M Extra Fine Compound

Perfect!

Then it was time to do something I had also done in the past - de-wipering the rear end

Now we are getting somewhere

:thumb:​

See less See more
#37 ·
New orders made today.

1. Carbon Fiber mirrors

2. More OEM goodies for my front end, from the stealership, like an OEM Gti front, to replace my GT one which has some defects that I dont like.

Stay tuned - many updates to follow :thumb:​

#39 ·
So went to the stealership for some more shopping today, second time I am buying this thing - well worth the money for its oem quality though -nothing cheap here

Here it is

Along with the VW Badge

Going artistic

Carefully removed the GTI badge so as to modify it

As well as the red stripe

Removed the "I" easily with the heat gun, almost no glue residue left

I then prepped the parts that were to be painted, the VW badge, the GT one, and the stripe

Audi approved the whole procedure

A hint of the colour I went with

Time to remove this grille

Cleaned the inner bumper part

Stripe installed on the grille - looking good

Badge modified too

let's see how it came out

Yummy, looks like a win to me

Cheers :D :D :D

#45 ·
Thank you. No problem really, I am both familiar with OEM GTi Grille, and with painting. So no hesitation whatsoever :)

epic!!!
is this going as radical as the audi?

Rob
Thank you.

Who knows :)

However, this is my daily, and I enjoy it very very much, being economical and agile in everyday movement.

I think this is the perfect tool to allow me to enjoy the Audi in the best possible way :)

love the blue accent colour on the grill, looks spot on and works really well with the colour of the car
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

#47 ·
So, another issue I wanted to address is to clean my leather interior a bit.

So I got armed with this new product from Andy @ Dazzle LTd

The results from cleaning were a bit more than impressive

Tomorrow I want to have another pass at them to further enhance their being soft and cared after, cause I want it to stay like new

On another note, I found a way to protect my alcantara steering wheel of my Audi, while not using it -

hmmmm....

LoL - works perfectly

-dont mind the floormat, it will be changed :p:p

Cheers​

#60 ·
Yeap it's actually one of the last remaining spots with damage in the interior and i intend to fix that too at some point cause it is really getting on my nerves.
I thought about the mk6 mod but need to see what else needs to be changed. I guess the center console button surrounding trim for starters.

#67 ·
So this car, has had some suspension setups in its life

1. OEM GT
2. GT shock absorbers with 50mm HR springs
3. Custom Bilstein PSS with HR custom springs
4. OEM MKV Gti suspension as it is today.

I wanted it to go a bit lower, so was thinking of getting back a set of HR springs for now. Yes it would be harsh, but I wouldnt take this to the track, I knew it was a not so politically correct setup, but hey, the absorbers have lived their life by now anyway. So for the last weeks I was in the look-out for some springs, and if nothing came up, I would buy some new ones . . .

Until today, that I went to another garage I have, to leave some Audi parts, and saw a HR box . . . Hmmmm...Could it be . . .

Well yes it could. I had totally forgotten the fact that I had not sold mine, and there they were . . . gave them a quick clean, and here they are lined up

So happy - and learned my lesson, to check for stock first - LOL​

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.