Detailing World Forum banner

Where to buy my detailing gear??

5K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  AnthonyIRL 
#1 ·
So I've been lurking on here for quite some time now and have made a few posts.

I've had a fairly modest "off the shelf" product collection this last while, mainly purchased from Halfords or local Autofactors.

I'm finally in a position where I can afford some decent products. Just looking for some advice on where would be best to buy from.

I live in Ireland so shipping is always more expensive than the UK but I guess if I ordered all at once it wouldn't be so bad .

I have a few products in mind ....

Fallout remover, tar remover, clay mitt, cutting polish, refining polish, wax, wheel sealant and trim gel.... oh and decent microfibres and a drying towel.

Basically is there any traders or sites where I could get decent quality products at a reasonable price......

Also, specific product recommendations would be welcomed

Any guidance would be much appreciated,

Tony

See less See more
#7 ·
As has already been said - any of our sponsors will be great to deal with.

We all have our favourite suppliers and products :)

One suggestion - start quite simple and straightforward and from your post that looks like what you're planning to do.

Get to know a few products well and use them up. Then ask for some suggestions about what next, armed with info about what you like/don't like about the one you're replacing.

It's very, very easy to end up with a shed load of stuff that you're not quite sure exactly which does what and which products complement each other and which don't.

Enjoy the journey.

All the best.

Andy.

PS I'll throw my hat into the ring and suggest a look at Car Chem (https://car-chem.com/store/) and have a chat with Dom or Ashley at Shopnshine - they started me off and gave excellent advice......even to the point of suggesting products that were cheaper than I'd sort of put on my shopping list (https://www.shopnshine.co.uk/)

#8 ·
Hi Tony I'm also in Ireland in wicklow.

My go to shop In the UK is clean and shiny mainly because they do my favourite brands Angelwax and Gyeon. 10% discount DW10

Register for Parcel motel (Nightline) which is located in N.Ireland and address pal (Anpost) which is in the UK mainland and send the box to them if the company do free UK delivery. They charge under 4euro to receive the box and foward it to you which will save you a small fortune over time.

Another reason I use clean and shiny is the pack everything very well, liquids are individually wrapped in sealed bags so can't leak in the box which is sort of important when using the like of parcel motel.

Hope this helps. Any questions on parcel motel or address pal give me a shout.

#10 ·
So I've ordered some products, one thing that I'm not quite sure what to go for is a wet vac.

I'm not looking to invest in a carpet cleaner as such, just an inexpensive vacuum (sub 100 Euro ideally) that could cope with some wet extraction.

I was looking at some cheap Einhell vacuums on Argos but not sure whether they're suitable for wet extraction

Anyone have any advice what to go for?

#11 ·
Hi. Hope you had a good Christmas.

Not too sure of the exchange rate &/or postage but we invested in one of these:

https://www.bisselldirect.co.uk/bissell-advanced-carpet-cleaner

Really good machine. We are puppy walkers for Guide Dogs so we have the occasional "accident" to clean up off our house carpets and use it probably evey 2-3 weeks to keep the carpets "fresh" from doggy smells.

Does a great job - far better than the "Rug Doctor" we hired - once!

The attachement does a good job on the carpets in the car and has enough suction to leave them just a bit damp so you don't have to wait too long for them to fully dry out.

A "normal" dry vacuum is better for just sucking up the day to day bits and bobs but if you need to get the carpets clean then this is one option.

Hope that helps.

Good luck.

Andy.

#15 ·
anyone??

I'm hoping to order some type of vacuum this evening to get working on the car over the weekend.
Apologies Andy, I didn't see your reply and just realised how ignorant I must have looked. overlooking your response!! sorry and thanks for the help it's all appreciated but its slightly over my budget at the minute.

Not sutre if you have any Screwfix close by but for the money these are okay as a wet/vac for doing the car https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb350vac-1300w-16ltr-wet-dry-vacuum-cleaner-240v/36516
Ian I can order from screwfix.ie. That would be ideal to get me started and it's worth the risk as its inexpensive.

Thanks, and I have to say, DW members are first class when it comes to advice, great forum.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.