Detailing World  

Go Back   Detailing World > Lifestyle > The Motoring Zone
DW Home Forum Home Merchandise Store Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

The Motoring Zone Just bought a car? Need advice on a car? Want to chat about cars generally? Here is the place to do it.

Old 20-08-2019, 01:41 AM   #21
transtek
OCD Sufferer (Obsessive Car Detailer)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlofan View Post
At which part of my post did I say I'd be driving?
I didn't mean you, but you can imagine Joe Public will be doing it! (tongue firmly in cheek, so absolutely no offense meant!)
transtek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to transtek For This Useful Post:
Darlofan (20-08-2019)
Old 20-08-2019, 07:36 AM   #22
vsideboy
PC Perfectionist

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vsideboy Send a message via MSN to vsideboy
like at railway stations with the train spotters I can see swathes of people sitting on deck chairs near major traffic lights.

Definitely either a massive cash cow for some people (if you live right next to some lights then you're away, permanent cctv aimed at the lights and good to go.) or a definite increase in public bashings.

I'd prefer to take a picture of all the idiots who stop in the area designated for cyclists at the lights (and I don't even ride a bike!)
vsideboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 07:40 AM   #23
muzzer

Thanked 4,885 Times in 3,138 Posts
Garage
That's another thing, i give it about a week IF this becomes a thing before some meathead gets out of his car and belts someone for doing just that.
Old 20-08-2019, 08:17 AM   #24
steveo3002
Mr Sparkle

Thanked 1,306 Times in 983 Posts
Send a message via MSN to steveo3002
can we send pics of coppers that dont do their job properly in
steveo3002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 10:25 AM   #25
possul

Thanked 1,058 Times in 894 Posts
Garage
I've got more important things to do with my time than check on what other people are doing with the cars.
If you want to be a vigilante go and fight proper crimes.

Imagine going up to a PC and telling him someone is sat with their engine running...
possul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #26
GP Punto
Orbital Oracle

I was thinking about this subject when I went out for a walk this morning. There was an artic parked up, engine running, driver on the phone, after about 5 minutes he was still on the phone and set off, went to a T junction, still holding the phone to his ear.

I carried on walking, every other car had the driver on the phone, even very recent cars which I would assume had blue tooth.

I am sure that people know that they ought not to be on the phone, they just expect to get away with it.

Same thing goes for parking in diasbled bay spaces.

Would I take pics of drivers breaking the law posting the pic to a website in return for a percentage of the paid fine.

I think I would, I think that there would be load of pensionners out for a walk with their cameras.

I suspect that there are very few of us who wouldnt call 999 on seeing a very drunk person getting behind the driving wheel.
GP Punto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 01:21 PM   #27
Kerr
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 7,221 Times in 4,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo3002 View Post
can we send pics of coppers that dont do their job properly in
Doesn't everyone have a skive at work at sometimes get things a bit wrong?

Given how many have been seriously injured or even killed recently it's no wonder there is a little fear of approaching situations.

The police do get a tough time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP Punto View Post

I suspect that there are very few of us who wouldnt call 999 on seeing a very drunk person getting behind the driving wheel.

A drunk person does put everyone at immediate and great risk. I bet most wouldn't phone either. Especially if it was someone they knew or it was their lift home.

I also bet that many people have driven knowing they would probably fail a test themselves.

There was a debate here in Aberdeen yesterday. A woman was attacked on the busy main street at lunchtime. She was unconscious in the middle of the street with lots of onlookers. Two nurses jumped in to offer medical assistance. Lots of other people pulled their phones out to record the incident and aftermath, but nobody thought to call the police or an ambulance.

Last edited by Kerr; 20-08-2019 at 01:24 PM.
Kerr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 01:40 PM   #28
macca666

Thanked 2,225 Times in 1,291 Posts
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
There was a debate here in Aberdeen yesterday. A woman was attacked on the busy main street at lunchtime. She was unconscious in the middle of the street with lots of onlookers. Two nurses jumped in to offer medical assistance. Lots of other people pulled their phones out to record the incident and aftermath, but nobody thought to call the police or an ambulance.
This is one of my biggest annoyances in the digital age. People today want to video everything on their phone then post it to social media or sell it to the media that they don't even have any common decency these days to actually help someone who is injured.

We've all seen the pictures whether it's from shootings in America, terror attacks here etc where some person (it's a family forum so my real thoughts won't pass the swear filter) decides it's a good idea to be videoing dead or seriously injured bodies lying in the street
macca666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2019, 02:06 PM   #29
Derekh929
Distinguished Detailer

Thanked 5,896 Times in 4,791 Posts

Kerr I know where you are coming from with this, but I will give you two situations I found myself in with regards to similar.

Young lad at time going past a bus shelter in Peterhead and seen a guy with his hand on a girls throat pinned against a wall and she was kicking off and struggling. So I slammed on the brakes jumped out of car pulled the guy off with neck hold and as soon as the girl was free she started screaming at me to get off her boy friend, next I knew she started hitting me with her handbag and the police arrived. The girl said I started it I was away to tell my side of the story to the police and lucky for me they knew the couple and took me aside and said we will live it at than and on you go no problem.
So lets say from then on in I was more cautious when helping people in need.

next up at Heathrow and a young Chinese girl late for her flight tried to lift a big cases off I was to late to help her and people standing beside her did not help she slipped between train and platform and her leg got stuck.
All I could think off was this train will be leaving fast how can I stop the train so I shouted to someone with me to run to front of train and wave franticly and point to side of train as I did not want the train to move till we got her out.

Luckily me and another member of public managed to support her and we managed to get oil that she had on her leg to loosen it, yes I know rubbing oil on strange girls legs, this freed it and we got her out all be it totally shocked and badly injured bruised leg. The train staff stood there and watched us saying this was the second one today , did not even offer to fast track the girl to her flight until I got started on them and saying how I would be contacting the train company if this girl was not taken up to her flight in a wheel chair with someone taking her case eventually this was dome the girl could not speak English but I see by her face how grateful she was for my fast action.

You only get a second to make the right call and we was nearly in a bad situation in London tube while on holiday lately some through a cs gas can on the train and started fighting just a hour after we went through its something I don't know if I would have intervened in but would have still though about what was best, both different situations but you need to think first, and try to make the correct decision IMHO
Derekh929 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Derekh929 For This Useful Post:
DLGWRX02 (20-08-2019)
Old 20-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #30
Summit Detailing
DW Supporter

Thanked 1,722 Times in 1,275 Posts
Garage
Is this really what this country has become?
Passion. Cars. Expertise.
Summit Detailing is offline   Reply With Quote