Detailing World Forum banner

Newbie + 3M products

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  adrian_128 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, i'm Adrian from Argentina.

I'm starting this hobby again and in a more serious way, so i have a lot of questions.

My gear up to day is:

• Foam Lance
  • 3D Wash and Wax shampoo
  • Skil 9071 rotary polisher
  • 1 3m compund Step A (perfect it in yellow bottle)
  • 1 3m Machine Polish Step B (perfect it in yellow bottle)
  • 1 Collinite 915 Wax
  • 1 3m Synthetic Wax
  • I have one 4.5" 3D semi flexible pad, and two 5,5" Buff and Shine pads (orange and yellow). My plan is to trim two 8" 3M superfinish pads (ligth blue) and use them with de 4.5 backingplate to finish.

So here come the questions:
  • I read that the equivalent of 3m Machine Polish Step B (Yellow bottle #05996) in Meguiars line is M205. Is that ok?
  • This 3M Step B have fillers? Is it a "bad" product?
  • Do i need a final polisher? I was interested in M2, P2 or Menzerna 3800. But i dont know if i really need it after the 3m Step B.:buffer:
  • What Mitt do you recomend? I can buy generic microfibers ones, 3D heavy duty pad (White and furry) or Meguiars MF Mitt like X3002.
  • Which adicional pads of Backing + Pads do i need (e.g. 3")?

I have acces to buy brands like 3D, HD, Meguiars, Koch Chemie, Sonax, Menzerna and 3M, Buff and Shine. Other brands are dificult or too expensive to buy here.

Thank you all.

Adrian

See less See more
#3 ·
.....So here come the questions:
  • I read that the equivalent of 3m Machine Polish Step B (Yellow bottle #05996) in Meguiars line is M205. Is that ok?
  • This 3M Step B have fillers? Is it a "bad" product?
  • Do i need a final polisher? I was interested in M2, P2 or Menzerna 3800. But i dont know if i really need it after the 3m Step B.:buffer:
  • What Mitt do you recomend? I can buy generic microfibers ones, 3D heavy duty pad (White and furry) or Meguiars MF Mitt like X3002.
  • Which adicional pads of Backing + Pads do i need (e.g. 3")?

I have acces to buy brands like 3D, HD, Meguiars, Koch Chemie, Sonax, Menzerna and 3M, Buff and Shine. Other brands are dificult or too expensive to buy here.

Thank you all.

Adrian
I have used a few 3M polishes over the years but their range is quite big. A polish from 3M will work in a very different way to Megs 205. Whilst there is no doubt that the 3M range works more modern products from Sonax etc will be easier to use and probably give better results for less effort.

The fillers in 3M really depends on the product. Most do not have fillers but do have a lot of polishing oils which need a good clean to fully remove. Some of the products have a glaze which do use fillers. I cannot remember what the Perfect-It range uses. If your polish has fillers then you will need to do something to remove them.

Spot pads eg 3" are very useful so buy some if you can. Backing plates make a big difference on a rotary so it is worth buying a decent one if you can. The 3M range is good but expensive, Gloss-It are also good and cheaper.

No idea if cutting down a pad is a good idea or not. As long as you are very accurate and maintain the smooth circle it might work. Not heard of anyone doing it so do not really know if it will work.
I do not really have a suggestion for washing mitts as not used any of those products from your list.

If I was looking for polishes from your list I would think about any of the other brands than 3M. I assume you have some experience with the rotary and the 3M products, if you try one of the other brands such as Megs 205 then lower the speed to around 1,000-1,200rpm. A product such as 205 will cut very differently compared to Menzerna. Neither is better, they just do things in a different way

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.